Thanks to fans, Final concert

Mosszep

4 hours ago, Mosszep said:

Having started the post, at least it inspired debate. There has to be the drive and determination from Jimmy and Robert, which probably does not exist to do 1, 2 or 3 concerts to mark the 50th Anniversary. Maybe it is best but disappointing to just remember. Ironically, as an older guy, but young at heart, I feel for the younger fans who never enjoyed the sheer excitement of a live concert. As the posts explain, demand to attend would never be met, same as with the O2 ! A conundrum??

In a nutshell, they're too old now.

Page was sweating buckets at the end of the 02 and looked absolutely shattered - and that was a decade ago!

The legacy of poor-post Zep performances was rectified with the O2 show, which was consistent with some occasional moments of magic (Kashmir, FYL, etc).

No need to do anything more.

11 hours ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

There weren't 8000 celebrities there. All things considered, I don't think there were that many and who's to say that the band or others given tickets didn't give them to those people? Concerts always have a set number of tickets to comp for the band, record company, venue etc. That is nothing new.  Also, who said 8000 tickets were comped? I've never heard that before.

I'd like to correct the record.  When I posted, I was going from memory.  From my notes, the lottery to the general public consisted of 18,000 tickets.  Reserved tickets were 2,000 - including 100 for each band member.  The 1,600 went to celebs, politicians, record execs, promoters, etc.

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

In a nutshell, they're too old now.

Page was sweating buckets at the end of the 02 and looked absolutely shattered - and that was a decade ago!

The legacy of poor-post Zep performances was rectified with the O2 show, which was consistent with some occasional moments of magic (Kashmir, FYL, etc).

No need to do anything more.

Yes, I agree. Only Jones would be able to cover his role without difficulty, IMO. Plant would have to speak his words and Jimmy seems like he won't ( can't) even jam on a blues with friends anymore. 

If they want to do something for the fans then I wish it would be a concert video, as.discussed in the other thread here on that subject. Then legions of fans young and old would be happy.  If not then what we got is what we have. 

On 11/8/2017 at 2:50 PM, Stryder1978 said:

The majority of the tickets (18,000 I believe) went into the lottery system.  Another 8,000 were reserved for the elite.

I wasn't one of the "three dayers" just a "one dayer".  5,000 of the tickets were "standing" tickets, which meant general admission on the floor of the O2.  I was number 47 in line when they opened the gate and managed to get up front against the barricade in between Page and Plant for the show.  I had a better "seat" than 99% of all the celebs that were there!  

The maximum capacity of the O2 arena is 20,000.  I think the size of the stage reduced this to about 18,000 - in total - for the gig.
There may have been a couple of hundred seats for celebs - but certainly not 8,000.

46 minutes ago, woz70 said:

The maximum capacity of the O2 arena is 20,000.  I think the size of the stage reduced this to about 18,000 - in total - for the gig.
There may have been a couple of hundred seats for celebs - but certainly not 8,000.

I already corrected the figure before you posted.  And celebrities includes record execs, CEO's, production directors, etc.

14 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

I'd like to correct the record.  When I posted, I was going from memory.  From my notes, the lottery to the general public consisted of 18,000 tickets.  Reserved tickets were 2,000 - including 100 for each band member.  The 1,600 went to celebs, politicians, record execs, promoters, etc.

Well still...fuck those 1,600. Dirty entitled bastards! VIVE' REVOLUTION!!!

BWAAAAAHHHHHAAAAAA... Sorry, could not help myself :buttsmack:

14 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

I already corrected the figure before you posted.  And celebrities includes record execs, CEO's, production directors, etc.

LZ were not the only act on the bill. The other acts would have also had a share of tickets to give out to family and friends.  Don't forget it was the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert with Led Zeppelin as the main act..

4 hours ago, JTM said:

LZ were not the only act on the bill. The other acts would have also had a share of tickets to give out to family and friends.  Don't forget it was the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert with Led Zeppelin as the main act..

Good point!

A tour?  Not a snowball's chance in hell, despite it likely being the highest grossing concert tour ever.

A one-off show?  I highly doubt it.  Robert, as always, is the decider.  He finally did the O2 show and managed to deliver, along with the others.  It put the debacles of the other post-split reunion shows to rest.  Their slightly-tainted legacy was now well and truly back at the top of the mountain.  Why risk it again?  They are all in their 70s now and they do not need the money. 

So let's just pretend and say they are up for doing one big massive thank you show.  Where would this be?  Why the UK?  The UK was a fairly large market for them, but if there were to be a one off thank you show, it would most certainly be in the States.

2 hours ago, NealR2000 said:

So let's just pretend and say they are up for doing one big massive thank you show.  Where would this be?  Why the UK?  The UK was a fairly large market for them, but if there were to be a one off thank you show, it would most certainly be in the States.    

This is the same guitarist who about this time last year stiffed everyone in Tokyo by not performing during the Classic Rock Awards he was billed as co-headlining with Jeff Beck. So have the thank you show in Tokyo, but expect the same outcome.    

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

This is the same guitarist who about this time last year stiffed everyone in Tokyo by not performing during the Classic Rock Awards he was billed as co-headlining with Jeff Beck. So have the thank you show in Tokyo, but expect the same outcome.    

...and in current news, angry old white guys still pissed off that Warrant broke up 13 years ago. When told vocalist Jani Lane died in 2011, these men replied, "No excuse!!! Jani faked his death due to liberal plot to assassinate him..."

In other news congress eliminates mental health care from the new health care bill.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

...and in current news, angry old white guys still pissed off that Warrant broke up 13 years ago. When told vocalist Jani Lane died in 2011, these men replied, "No excuse!!! Jani faked his death due to liberal plot to assassinate him..."

In other news congress eliminates mental health care from the new health care bill.

If Jani Lane's excuse for an eight year artistic hiatus is "being dead", what's Jimmy's?

11 hours ago, NealR2000 said:

A tour?  Not a snowball's chance in hell, despite it likely being the highest grossing concert tour ever.

A one-off show?  I highly doubt it.  Robert, as always, is the decider.  He finally did the O2 show and managed to deliver, along with the others.  It put the debacles of the other post-split reunion shows to rest.  Their slightly-tainted legacy was now well and truly back at the top of the mountain.  Why risk it again?  They are all in their 70s now and they do not need the money. 

He didn't decide. He was asked to participate I'm assuming as a solo artist, and he then asked the others which turned it to a Zep performance. 

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

If Jani Lane's excuse for an eight year artistic hiatus is "being dead", what's Jimmy's?

Likely that lovely 27 year old he has been shagging. I can't speak for anyone else but if I were a 73 year old rock legend coming home to 27 year old Scarlett I  believe the last thing on my to do list would be write new tunes, go on tour.

Then again that's me, I am a lazy bastard who likes to screw.

11 hours ago, IpMan said:

Likely that lovely 27 year old he has been shagging. I can't speak for anyone else but if I were a 73 year old rock legend coming home to 27 year old Scarlett I  believe the last thing on my to do list would be write new tunes, go on tour.

Then again that's me, I am a lazy bastard who likes to screw.

That would excuse the past three years, not the nearly 20 since his last studio album  and accompanying tour. 

Archived