Robert Plant rearranging zeppelin classics

A few years ago I went and saw Plants Band of Joy concert in Seattle. This would have been the 4th time I seen Plant. Either with Page or without. I remember the show being one prosaic concerts I've attended in a long time. I was horrified by the country, blue grass, Americana. Call it what you like. The energy was lacking from the band, and Plant stood their under the spot light looking tired. I felt at that moment that Plant lost the magic. Then came Black Dog, and I was so disappointed how this rendition was done. I boo'ed my idol. Then I walked out. I've been a plant fan since the age of 12. I Knew of the song (big log) before I new of any Zeppelin music. I do admire his courage to try new things, but this style of music is not working for me. I like spacey music, Peter Gabriel comes to mind. Though when Plant  does this to Zeppelin classics, it's a shame. He knows that 90% of the fans at his shows are there for Zeppelin. I hope he stops singing it all together.    

9 minutes ago, Black_dog_boogie said:

He knows that 90% of the fans at his shows are there for Zeppelin.     

I would say it's more like 90 per cent of the fans there are Zeppelin fans, rather than there to hear Zeppelin music.

I know that hardcore fans of Zep, like myself, actually want to hear him do more stuff from his solo career, rather than bastardised versions of Black Dog.

The casual Zep fan who sees Plant is in town, will no doubt go along under the false assumption he will play Zep songs, a la the original versions.

Paul Rodgers still plays BC and Free hits at his gigs, like the original versions, but he still has the pipes to pull it off and has no solo career, of any distinction, to draw upon.

8 hours ago, Black_dog_boogie said:

A few years ago I went and saw Plants Band of Joy concert in Seattle. This would have been the 4th time I seen Plant. Either with Page or without. I remember the show being one prosaic concerts I've attended in a long time. I was horrified by the country, blue grass, Americana. Call it what you like. The energy was lacking from the band, and Plant stood their under the spot light looking tired. I felt at that moment that Plant lost the magic. Then came Black Dog, and I was so disappointed how this rendition was done. I boo'ed my idol. Then I walked out. I've been a plant fan since the age of 12. I Knew of the song (big log) before I new of any Zeppelin music. I do admire his courage to try new things, but this style of music is not working for me. I like spacey music, Peter Gabriel comes to mind. Though when Plant  does this to Zeppelin classics, it's a shame. He knows that 90% of the fans at his shows are there for Zeppelin. I hope he stops singing it all together.    

haven't you listened to any of his recent albums/ if you had you'd know what sort of style he presents these days and has done for a while. I think it'd be a fairly naïve  person who went along expecting faithful versions of the zeppelin classics. he hasn't done that for many many years

It doesn't matter if they know or not, someone can tell them or they can hear it on youtube and Plant can write whatever he wants in the set list, it still is THAT song,

the problem is that sometimes people don't write this topics like they are expressing what they would like to hear more, but like Robert Plant owes them those versions of songs, because he was once in Led Zeppelin.

And he can't even give some of those studio like versions since late 1972 in the same sound and even range in a way! But he can still do them, everyone can in their own way! And Zeppelin songs always changed through the years anyway!

2 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

He is coming to my home town in a few months. I know his style now and his take on Zep songs, which is precisely why I have no intention of going to see him. 

He knows you are not coming, his interest is not filling a big stadium.

I like Plant's solo stuff. It's not Led Zeppelin and that's fine with me. He's a multi-faceted musician with varied interests. I don't particularly care for him "covering" Led Zeppelin - after 5 decades of giving music his all, his voice isn't what it was when he was a young man. Some of his takes on Zep classics are interesting, but it seems like he's kind of humoring his audience...like, "well, I'm going to have to do one or two Zep tunes to placate the crowd". I will never prefer his solo stuff over Zep, but I enjoy it and respect it immensely. 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Imagine booing Robert Plant.

Heard a few boos from the Manchester crowd on his first solo tour. His dislike of city has been documented before. The way he parodies the accent and says " every time we come here you like to shout" - something like that in the 08th December 1972 Hardrock show in the City. Then at his Apollo show, which I attended  he dedicates a song to the grubby clubs and seedy dirty streets that he remembers " this is called worse than Detroit". After his first encore he walked back on stage to a good welcome then promptly walked off again. The boos were easy to hear I tell you.

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

Heard a few boos from the Manchester crowd on his first solo tour. His dislike of city has been documented before. The way he parodies the accent and says " every time we come here you like to shout" - something like that in the 08th December 1972 Hardrock show in the City. Then at his Apollo show, which I attended  he dedicates a song to the grubby clubs and seedy dirty streets that he remembers " this is called worse than Detroit". After his first encore he walked back on stage to a good welcome then promptly walked off again. The boos were easy to hear I tell you.

Ha ha, 'worse than Detroit'.

Brilliant.

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I actually meant to say I wouldn’t do that. That’s just poor form

Agree. I don't have a lot of interest in his new music. It sounds ok, but it's nothing special. But if I were to go see him, I don't expect anything like a Zeppelin number delivered in a Zeppelin kind of way. If one was, great, but geeeez, booing Robert Plant??? The lead singer of Led Zeppelin????

Poor form indeed.

Couldn't agree more with the original poster here.  Plant tries so hard to distance himself from the Zeppelin years, then goes ahead and performs Zeppelin songs. I love Zeppelin, really really do. But ya know, the band members are people....I dont have to worship everything they do. Plant has been disappointing me in a LOT of what he does lately. I know I'll get bashed here for this, so be it, I am entitled to my opinion. Most of his solo stuff sucks, not all of it, some of it kicks, but most of it doesnt. Kind of have to ask ourselves, if Plant never joined Zeppelin....would he have made it in the music world if all he ever did was his solo stuff?

2 minutes ago, dandak said:

Couldn't agree more with the original poster here.  Plant tries so hard to distance himself from the Zeppelin years, then goes ahead and performs Zeppelin songs. I love Zeppelin, really really do. But ya know, the band members are people....I dont have to worship everything they do. Plant has been disappointing me in a LOT of what he does lately. I know I'll get bashed here for this, so be it, I am entitled to my opinion. Most of his solo stuff sucks, not all of it, some of it kicks, but most of it doesnt. Kind of have to ask ourselves, if Plant never joined Zeppelin....would he have made it in the music world if all he ever did was his solo stuff?

I think his talent would not have gone unnoticed back then and had Page not booked him, he'd have been discovered by someone else. 

On 11/11/2017 at 7:44 AM, rm2551 said:

Agree. I don't have a lot of interest in his new music. It sounds ok, but it's nothing special. But if I were to go see him, I don't expect anything like a Zeppelin number delivered in a Zeppelin kind of way. If one was, great, but geeeez, booing Robert Plant??? The lead singer of Led Zeppelin????

Poor form indeed.

I can count on one hand how many solo Robert Plant songs I would listen to again.

1, Slow Dancer                   3.  Calling to you

2. In the mood                   4. Big log.

Led Zeppelin will always in my view be Roberts best. 

1 hour ago, Black_dog_boogie said:

I can count on one hand how many solo Robert Plant songs I would listen to again.

1, Slow Dancer                   3.  Calling to you

2. In the mood                   4. Big log.

Led Zeppelin will always in my view be Roberts best. 

100%. More to my point, if I went to see him, I'd expect him to do his stuff. Fucked if I'd have the gaul to boo the man. sheeesh!

Wow, I didn't realise just how much Zeppelin is in RP's playlist for this tour!

From Dave Lewis....
Here’s the setlist from the Robert Plant and The Sensational Space Shifters opening gig of the UK tour in Plymouth last night -
The Lemon Song
New World…
Turn It Up
The May Queen
That’s the Way
All the King’s Horses
In the Light
Gallows Pole
Carry Fire
Rainbow
Babe, I’m Gonna Leave You
Little Maggie
Bluebirds Over the Mountain
Funny In My Mind (I Believe I’m Fixin’ to Die)
Misty Mountain Hop

3 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

That looks like a good set list. 

I generally hate '80's music, what a terrible decade, but I like his '80's stuff.... Big Log, In the Mood, Twentynine Palms, Ship of Fools. Even the cheesy Honeydrippers stuff. I absolutely loved the Sea of Love video on MTV! 

It totally looks like Adriatic sea!

I like it when he does the rarely played Zep songs such as "In the Light", "Misty Mountain Hop", "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", "Gallows Pole"...even "That's the Way" and "Going to California". What I wish he would retire is "Black Dog". It's a dead horse.

Archived