Babe I’m gonna leave you. Diff view points

EagleB

Just watched the Jimmy Page Oxford Union address given 23/10/17 (very good!)

One comment piqued my interest when he described Babe I’m gonna leave you as “ one of the most important tracks on the 1st Album” 

One week later Robert Plant (Guardian Interview 2/11/17) specifically describes his vocals on the same track as “Horrific” (I disagree!)

all just a coincidence I’m sure but it’s an example of how differently they view the same material. 

Plant probably agrees it's one of the most important tracks, it's light and  shade, acoustic and electric, drums come in latter, the guitar arrangements are great and many bands were influenced by the electric riff.

Plant just wanted to say, he finds his vocal delivery to excessive these days and he said long ago, he would have done the phrasing and delivery on first album a bit different if he could change it, because he didn't feel completely like he belongs in the whole project yet and he felt a bit intimidated by the whole situation and nervous, so that's how the record sounds to him!

5 hours ago, EagleB said:

Just watched the Jimmy Page Oxford Union address given 23/10/17 (very good!)

One comment piqued my interest when he described Babe I’m gonna leave you as “ one of the most important tracks on the 1st Album” 

One week later Robert Plant (Guardian Interview 2/11/17) specifically describes his vocals on the same track as “Horrific” (I disagree!)

all just a coincidence I’m sure but it’s an example of how differently they view the same material. 

Maybe Robert was thinking about the outtakes where his vocals are truly horrific..

2 hours ago, JTM said:

Maybe Robert was thinking about the outtakes where his vocals are truly horrific..

I think they are great for the outtakes, but maybe not even a Zeppelin power ballad should start like that, I think Jimmy really had a vision and knew it wouldn't be right, especially on the second song most people back then would ever hear, even if it's a hard rocking album, I think it might have been

intentional to get people use to it with Good times bad time vocals and slowly building it up, I think the high vocals on Babe are even mixed a bit quieter at first, although instrumentally the first song is very heavy already, but Communication breakdown and I can't quit you baby are not as heavy as they could have been.

Perhaps Plant should have been less excessive, but I think it's good for the album and perhaps his delivery should have been a bit warmer, but he moved away from the scary Black Sabbath wail pretty quickly and approached in all sorts of ways! Wouldn't mind if his vocals could at least at times sound as powerful on the latter albums though!

Robert should know better at his age that calling his vocals from a song recorded in 1968 when he was only 20 horrific, that is just silly. Everyone is typically over the top at 20, that's the whole point of being 20. There are quite a lot of things I would not do now which I enjoyed when I was 20 but I would not call anything horrific, just the actions of a 20 year old. My guitar playing now is much more textured, subtle, and dependent on tone and emotion compared to my bombastic, overdriven speed playing when I was 20 and all I cared about was fast runs. Do I think my playing at 20 horrific? Hell no, I call it the playing of a 20 year old with the life experiences of a 20 year old.

Sometimes I don't know if Plant is just being hyperbolic for shock value or if he truly believes what he says to such an extent.

Archived