What next? AGAIN

JAP

I actually, no kidding, just accepted Zep's final statement in 80', no more Bonzo, no more Zep. I have certainly followed

and seen many good/ great shows by the various solo projects and P/P half Zep, but I never confused it with the 

original Zep. This is probably very hard to understand if you weren't old enough or into Zep when the crashing halt

came. I am prejudiced however not only by it being impossible to replace Bonzo, but the fact that it took a very long 

time for Jimmy to be rehabbed both musically and substance wise. So to me Jimmy wasn't really "back" till Outrider,

and it would be a sad sight for the band to continue with a further debilitated PAGE.

2 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

Well you certainly sound like an overexcited teenager who just listened to Led Zeppelin IV and thinks it's somehow Robert Plant's responsibility to enable you to go to a concert event and have a beer there with friends, instead of listening at home. I think he is just traying to say, there is no such thing as rock music, but whatever the cliches about it are, those cliches have turned into something rather unimaginative, commercial, uncreative, simple, cheap and pop like and he is trying to infuse it with all kinds of creativity and influences and that certainly doesn't mean reastablishing a band, that relied so much on their original drummer, youthful techical capability and sogwriting chemistry.

It's great you love Led Zeppelin, but you are terribly stubborn upon seeing your band live in 1972 while it is 2017.

He didn't say there's no such thing as rock music! He's just not into categorizing music per say is what I took from it. 

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

Eh? Sorry but I don't remotely understand the point you're making. When did I say I wanted it to be like 1972? I don't criticise Plant for not doing a reunion either (I can understand his reasons and respect them fully). Was that what you were tryng to say?

Well I guess I thought your post summons some of the other posts in this topic, sorry.

34 minutes ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

He didn't say there's no such thing as rock music! He's just not into categorizing music per say is what I took from it. 

You don't have to say it just listen to Kashmir!

Well this is a private argument, but there are quite a few Zep tunes which are quite far from what most would call "rock",

and rarelygot played even a long time ago. At the same time, "rock" has become a meaningless term. The Doors were

a mainly rock group ? Most of Floyd rock ? Even the Stones ?( watch it now, the Stones have a jambalaya stew of styles

on most albums, not just "Satisfaction"). But no comment on Plant's comments. But Kashmir takes the cake, it is a bit

psychedelic, totally exotic and unique, it is just called rock for easy reference. There are so many brilliant elements

colliding in Kashmir, it is unlableable..

On 16/11/2017 at 1:48 AM, dandak said:

I still wish they would at least get together and TRY to finish 10 ribs (beautiful tune), La La (great rocking beat), and perhaps St Tristans Sword. Plant/Page could write words, key the music to Plants vocal range, get Jason and JP in there, and give it a go. If it sucks, destroy the tapes and say 'thats all folks', if it works out, release them and then say...'thats all folks'.

IMHO using something from back in the day, from their former selves and building it up via their current selves is really interesting. To me it was part of the attraction of the o2 gig seeing how they tackled it, how the strength of the material stacked up against everything that had come after it was written and then before it was now being performed. 

I think led zeppelin is not just an era, collections of tracks, four specific blokes etc IMHO it’s like a way of approaching music that’s stood the test of time. o2 proved it to me and I reckon plant uses the same approach in his solo work. So I see no reason why 

Swan Song

Guys / Gals - there is nothing else. Let's be clear. Zeppelin didn't spend a lot of time in the studio and when they were in the studio , it was Jimmy's show. Aside from recording and touring , they went there own way. There is nothing else. Zeppelin songs came out of the studio and from the stage most of the time and the songs were written almost impromptu. That's why we love them. That gave the songs the energy and freshness  that still survives today in 2017. 

A lot of bands spend time in the studio individually with members surrounded by session guys , managers, different producers , engineers  and  assistants. They mange to pull together a song here and there and later the band would fill in the remaining and it would become a b-side or a vaulted song. Zeppelin traveled in a tight group with Jimmy and Peter calling the shots. What the band did as a unit is what you got and it ain't much with 8 studio albums. 

Springsteen has a ton of stuff as does Dylan, The Stones, U2, Lennon, Petty, ... These bands spent a lot of time in the studio , amongst other musicians and the industry itself. They were in the mix so to speak. Ideas come along and you put it on tape , case closed.  Led Zeppelin kept to themselves. It was a tight  almost tense filled group. When not in the studio or touring , it was  the countrtyside with family away from the studio, hence the lack of publicity and photos.  I just don't think,  besides live stuff , there is anything out there. Seriously , was the Zep 4 additional cd with the songs  in there scaled down versions really a  revelation ?!!. If one didn't give a sharp listen besides the instrumentals , it would seem the as the released version. Is this all Jimmy has to offer us ?  I think it is...

A Tribute to Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. Run it through the eq software, clean it up and put it out on vinyl; I will throw the money at it as needed.  I feel Page's reluctance to clean up these awesome bootlegs and the few studio outtakes that were stolen from his house in the 80's or whatever really diminished the quality and variety of stuff on the most recent remasters bonus discs.  He was quoted saying he didn't want to release stuff that was readily available on bootlegs, which is kind of silly if you think about it given how few people actually do collect bootlegs today. 

I remember, as I am sure everyone here has heard many times themselves, a great sounding boot I had of Fire (say your gonna leave me)--I wish they had gotten together and finished this track for the Coda set. Could have either played a bit in the studio for it as the Beatles did w/o John several years back, or just used what they had to mix a finished version.  Not that Coda needed it; surely it was the best of the most recent release's bonus content by far.  PG was the biggest disappointment for me for bonus content; but sound quality was aces across the board (except for the Paris show off of LZ1).

On 24/11/2017 at 11:19 PM, Darth Hoek said:

A Tribute to Johnny Kidd and the Pirates. Run it through the eq software, clean it up and put it out on vinyl; I will throw the money at it as needed.  I feel Page's reluctance to clean up these awesome bootlegs and the few studio outtakes that were stolen from his house in the 80's or whatever really diminished the quality and variety of stuff on the most recent remasters bonus discs.  He was quoted saying he didn't want to release stuff that was readily available on bootlegs, which is kind of silly if you think about it given how few people actually do collect bootlegs today. 

I remember, as I am sure everyone here has heard many times themselves, a great sounding boot I had of Fire (say your gonna leave me)--I wish they had gotten together and finished this track for the Coda set. Could have either played a bit in the studio for it as the Beatles did w/o John several years back, or just used what they had to mix a finished version.  Not that Coda needed it; surely it was the best of the most recent release's bonus content by far.  PG was the biggest disappointment for me for bonus content; but sound quality was aces across the board (except for the Paris show off of LZ1).

I remember a comment by page in one of the interviews where he mentioned not releasing what had already been bootlegged.  Didn’t he go ahead and release some bootlegged stuff anyway, such as “Jennings farm”? Or was the companion audio version recording of it not bootlegged? 

I think he was also asked if any tinkering had gone on with the companion stuff, such as remixing, over Dubs, processing or effects etc and he replied that he wasn’t into “rewriting history”,  or words to that effect.

IMHO this was exactly the the right approach for a project like the companion audio one. But would not necessarily be appropriate to have as a rule that would apply to anything else.

I think there’s a couple of unknown instrumentals or that brutal artistry boot, which are great, would these have gone on the PG companion audio together with swan song, take me home ? IMHO PG would then have been in danger of becoming a triple and diluted from its original. Maybe it was better to stick to the companion audio concept and bank these tracks for later. If indeed they are bankable at all.

I understand totally the idea that particularly studio wise there is nothing left. I kid you not, but this was entirely the case

believed and stated by band members when CODA came out. Somebody posted that Zep most of the time in the studio

wanted to bang out songs quickly and be as spontaneous as possible. Definetly to a certain extent, but Jimmy's

guitar orchestrations are something which must be poured over, to see which overdubs work best for a certain part

or song. Jimmy does not have JPJ''s arranging or orchestrating skills..Of course Jimmy is likely hearing certain possibilities of layering the guitar parts. But in Jimmy's case, there probably are quite a few times when he has to lay

these ideas down on tape, so there has to be at least some songs which have quite different or at least noticeably

different guitar parts. Jimmy was the master guitar orchestrator of the 70's. I find it incredible to believe that Jimmy

just played over other guitar possibilities, thus erasing  what he played before. Or that Jimmy just discarded different

versions of  songs. Hopefully this can be understood, although it may be a lot of work for Jimmy. And that may be reason

why Jimmy might pull his hair out thinking what version of a song should be released. Again, unless you understand

that Jimmy had to experiment with different guitar parts , and having to evaluate how it all works out in a song, there has

to  be more studio stuff.

An EP (vinyl or cd) for Record Store Day (2018) / 50th Anniversary of Led Zeppelin along with a (dvd or blu-ray) documentary featuring new/archived footage w/ 3 surviving members at various historical locations w/ video clips of John Bonham (along with family:Jason, Pat, Zoe) would be an incredible way to celebrate RSD/ 50th & close out legacy 

EP Cd/Vinyl: (audio)

Fire

Take Me Home

Swan Song

R😎

1 hour ago, reids said:

An EP (vinyl or cd) for Record Store Day (2018) / 50th Anniversary of Led Zeppelin along with a (dvd or blu-ray) documentary featuring new/archived footage w/ 3 surviving members at various historical locations w/ video clips of John Bonham (along with family:Jason, Pat, Zoe) would be an incredible way to celebrate RSD/ 50th & close out legacy 

Fire

Take Me Home

Swan Song

R😎

These things would be really good, however all the members and others would have to tell various stories and feelings at various locations while not repeating anything from previous interviews and documentaries and at the same time not feeling their privacy has been invaded, so the whole thing would have to be carefully planned by probably someone other than Jimmy, especially if you want to get Robert involved!

As far live, let's hope there is something more in the can, otherwise they can clean up some bootlegs and someone was mentioning some computer algorithms and programs in some other thread, I don't know how that works, but I guess not by identifying every note and partially also how it sounds and making basically a new recording out of it. But I don't know how that would really works otherwise and I don't think it does, but there is no other way you can release professional sounding life shows like that.

Even if it somehow sounds to me at times, when some people want new studio or live material, like they sound almost bored of the old material, given what a great live band they were it's almost heartbreaking there aren't at least three shows from each year recorded or even at least one from each tour! They saw how successful they were live, why not record more? Well they still got something from almost every year so it's not that bad and many bootlegs have a really good sound!   

As I said, An EP (vinyl or cd) for Record Store Day (2018) / 50th Anniversary of Led Zeppelin along with a (dvd or blu-ray) documentary featuring new/archived footage w/ 3 surviving members giving their own perspectives / memories at various historical locations w/ video clips of John Bonham (along with family:Jason, Pat, Zoe) would be an incredible way to celebrate RSD/ 50th & close out legacy of Led Zeppelin.  Let’s hope they do something like this. 

Fire

Take Me Home

Swan Song

R😎

Those are great ideas,  but Plant and Page have moved so far apart, just like the companions, Robert didn't do much

and just said he trusted Jimmy's instincts. Half true on trusting Jimmy, But I really think Robert didn't really want to

be around Jimmy anymore in the first place. No way I could now see some comprehensive career retrospective

with sincere good humor and reminiscing with the remaining 3 Zep's. For example I, It's been learned in the last 

5-10 years that JPJ actually created a very substantial  amount of Zep's material. Not something Jimmy wants to

acknowledge. About the computer "fixing" up uneven sound or harsh texture etc., Jimmy actually did  do that

with  HTWWW, and although it is ( the 2 nights) excellent  playing  and overall performance, Jimmy messed up.

Many fans including myself felt that Jimmy went way overboard tweaking whatever he deemed sloppy or a bit 

compromised audio wise. The problem is that it is extremely obvious where his he's sticking his fingers in,

so parts of HTWWW  end up sounding like the most bizarre (albeit clear)  boot you've ever heard. That's why

, great, more official live stuff, someone must put the brakes on Jimmy's constant meddling.

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

Those are great ideas,  but Plant and Page have moved so far apart, just like the companions, Robert didn't do much

and just said he trusted Jimmy's instincts. Half true on trusting Jimmy, But I really think Robert didn't really want to

be around Jimmy anymore in the first place. No way I could now see some comprehensive career retrospective

with sincere good humor and reminiscing with the remaining 3 Zep's. For example I, It's been learned in the last 

5-10 years that JPJ actually created a very substantial  amount of Zep's material. Not something Jimmy wants to

acknowledge. About the computer "fixing" up uneven sound or harsh texture etc., Jimmy actually did  do that

with  HTWWW, and although it is ( the 2 nights) excellent  playing  and overall performance, Jimmy messed up.

Many fans including myself felt that Jimmy went way overboard tweaking whatever he deemed sloppy or a bit 

compromised audio wise. The problem is that it is extremely obvious where his he's sticking his fingers in,

so parts of HTWWW  end up sounding like the most bizarre (albeit clear)  boot you've ever heard. That's why

, great, more official live stuff, someone must put the brakes on Jimmy's constant meddling.

Somebody on this forum put it quite well in a humorous way and described it as Jimmy “twiddling with knobs”. 

14 minutes ago, Mook said:

Jimmy Page has cut a fair bit from the recent Yardbirds 68 release so I don't see him changing his ways anytime soon.

Exactly. That’s why a documentary dvd/blu ray (maybe with the run time of an hour or so ) and a companion audio cd / vinyl for RSD 2018 / 50th Anniversary would be a great and simple way to celebrate without having to edit so much live content. Releasing an audio cd of Live material would probably be doctored a good bit and we / most Led Zeppelin fans would prefer everything kept in tact / pristine/ original form (as few edits as possible). 

R😎

• 1 month later...

Other possibility is an expanded “DVD” with extra footage, snippets say from bath, EC and others?

To compliment any audio live releases. 

Put any remaining bits of video together where there might not be enough for a stand alone release

Plus would love to see DVD available via iTunes or similar  

7 hours ago, JAP said:

where there might not be enough for a stand alone release

I think there is enough EC video for a full stand alone EC package (Multiple nights if a "Super Deluxe" was also available).

Same goes for RAH. Could be extended to a stand alone. May even be able to fix the missing keys for Thank You somehow.

3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I think there is enough EC video for a full stand alone EC package (Multiple nights if a "Super Deluxe" was also available).

Same goes for RAH. Could be extended to a stand alone. May even be able to fix the missing keys for Thank You somehow.

Yeah. 

Im just wondering if putting three or so live albums out in a year, together with full concert video might be too much ! ....then again...no. Can’t possibly have too much zeppelin! 

On 14/11/2017 at 11:20 AM, SteveAJones said:

I can't see the surviving members of Led Zeppelin doing something similar with a John Bonham outtake, assuming one even exists. I mean it's a bit hokey, don't you think? 

The only song that exists in this way is Walter's Walk. Plant came back in 82 and did the vocal so you could argue it's the only "during-Zeppelin" song out with a "post-Zeppelin" part.

5 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

The only song that exists in this way is Walter's Walk. Plant came back in 82 and did the vocal so you could argue it's the only "during-Zeppelin" song out with a "post-Zeppelin" part.

Yeah, and the moaning vocals I could do without. I much prefer the instrumental version which is slamming. 

11 hours ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Yes, I quite like the vocal too, so for me it was totally worth adding it in. It’s another zeppelin track to enjoy that otherwise wouldn’t have been and this before “free as bird” . 

Also really enjoy this as an instrumental, its a complete powerhouse. 

Still think it’s highly unlikely that other stuff would be revisited. 

Archived