What next? AGAIN

JAP

Even if Plant wanted to do it there is no way he could sing most of the material.  He made an incredible, Herculean effort to pull it off in 2007.  It worked well enough and it was a great show, a fitting end.  They all know that anything now would only tarnish the reputation unless it were all new music tailored to their current states.

Another thing - after seeing and hearing Plant at the O2 show in 2007 it is clear that there was no way he could have done any more dates, even then.  That was a once a year or every other year effort for him at that age.

I still wish they would at least get together and TRY to finish 10 ribs (beautiful tune), La La (great rocking beat), and perhaps St Tristans Sword. Plant/Page could write words, key the music to Plants vocal range, get Jason and JP in there, and give it a go. If it sucks, destroy the tapes and say 'thats all folks', if it works out, release them and then say...'thats all folks'.

2 hours ago, John M said:

Even if Plant wanted to do it there is no way he could sing most of the material.  He made an incredible, Herculean effort to pull it off in 2007.  It worked well enough and it was a great show, a fitting end.  They all know that anything now would only tarnish the reputation unless it were all new music tailored to their current states.

Another thing - after seeing and hearing Plant at the O2 show in 2007 it is clear that there was no way he could have done any more dates, even then.  That was a once a year or every other year effort for him at that age.

Robert has consistently toured since 2007 with no vocal difficulty. I would question Jimmy's ability not only physically to survive a tour, but whether he can even play. I wouldn't say his playing at the 02 show was anywhere near what he used to do. Why does blame always get placed on Robert?

I can't believe folks still are talking about a Zep reunion. It's not going to happen. Page is years - years - away from being in any practice/shape to play well on stage. Plant is in great voice, but he's doing 90-minute shows with only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the songs sung the way he'd have to sing Zep songs. Even in 2007 with the O2 show, Plant admitted (in 2012 when Celebration Day came out) that they had to autotune some of his wails at the end of Kashmir because he was "running out of gas." 

And all of that is totally aside from the fact that Plant has zero interest in reuniting again, and that despite Page's and Jones' willingness at the time to do a tour, all three of them consider the O2 the final redemption for the flawed Live Aid and Atlantic Anniversary reunions - not to mention the period at the end of the sentence of the Page-Plant era.

It's done. There's no bookend - the idea of a reunion to commemorate the 10th anniversary of a one-off show that was itself a reunion, makes no sense. Led Zeppelin will never take the stage again.

My opinion is that the three got together just as Them Crooked Vultures was contemplating a 2nd album. I also think this was test marketed and abandonded. A high tech video for the time appeared on youtube containing many shots of a natural beach.. and the chorus of the song sounded a lot like "ahh, Sebastiani Beach". It was titled with (you guessed it) unpronouncable symbols... and also listed as a new zeppelin song. I was convinced it was them after listening to it several times

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

...because he's adopted a soft, whispering vocal style.  

Only partially true. On his 2015 tour he sang a good number of Zep tunes, like Trampled Under Foot for example, along with songs from his own catalogue, in the usual forceful manner. I do agree that he alternates now and is not full-throttle the whole time. And he also plays shorter shows than Zep used to.

we're discussing whether a band that split up 37 years ago should play a concert as some sort of thank you to their fans after all this time?

it'll never happen and I wouldn't want to see it. Planty's not interested and has said so many times. Page is way too old now and out of practice. JPJ could but seems to prefer to keep his head down and out of these sort of discussions.

the O2 gig was  good enough to rescue their reputation and why would they want to risk that again? its silly to entertain the idea. its over and has been for 10 years

13 hours ago, LurksReturnington said:

My opinion is that the three got together just as Them Crooked Vultures was contemplating a 2nd album. I also think this was test marketed and abandonded. A high tech video for the time appeared on youtube containing many shots of a natural beach.. and the chorus of the song sounded a lot like "ahh, Sebastiani Beach". It was titled with (you guessed it) unpronouncable symbols... and also listed as a new zeppelin song. I was convinced it was them after listening to it several times

You mean this:

And you fell for it????
Wow.
Those 'unpronounceable symbols' are Greek letters (it's kymeia 3 in the roman alphabet, which means 'chemistry 3' when translated from Greek to English).
It was a blatant hoax, and I have to agree with original post on the topic - it was awful.

A pipe dream, I know, but little would make me so happy as Page fixing up the full No Quarter from the original 1976 album and putting it in the quality of the 2007 remaster. To have that, and to be able to play that on my sound system, would bring me peace. 

On 11/16/2017 at 9:14 AM, LedElvis75 said:

All I want are the Japan tapes and pro audio of TU and STH from 5/24/75.  And maybe Louie-Louie/Thank You from 6/25/72.  I'd never ask for another Zep related item EVER again.

Word, though I'd be very happy with an officially released best of Earls Court , or 77 LA run , or Copenhagen 79. 

On 11/16/2017 at 1:48 AM, dandak said:

I still wish they would at least get together and TRY to finish 10 ribs (beautiful tune), La La (great rocking beat), and perhaps St Tristans Sword. Plant/Page could write words, key the music to Plants vocal range, get Jason and JP in there, and give it a go. If it sucks, destroy the tapes and say 'thats all folks', if it works out, release them and then say...'thats all folks'.

I'm in wholehearted agreement with you on them finishing "10 ribs" with vocals.  The mellow style of the track would be well within the Robert Plant's singing range of capability at the present time.

Cheers,
Indi

On 11/16/2017 at 2:49 PM, jsj said:

we're discussing whether a band that split up 37 years ago should play a concert as some sort of thank you to their fans after all this time?

it'll never happen and I wouldn't want to see it. Planty's not interested and has said so many times. Page is way too old now and out of practice. JPJ could but seems to prefer to keep his head down and out of these sort of discussions.

the O2 gig was  good enough to rescue their reputation and why would they want to risk that again? its silly to entertain the idea. its over and has been for 10 years

Replied to the wrong post, ha ha

Cheers,
Indi

On 11/16/2017 at 2:09 AM, tmtomh said:

I can't believe folks still are talking about a Zep reunion. It's not going to happen. Page is years - years - away from being in any practice/shape to play well on stage. Plant is in great voice, but he's doing 90-minute shows with only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the songs sung the way he'd have to sing Zep songs. Even in 2007 with the O2 show, Plant admitted (in 2012 when Celebration Day came out) that they had to autotune some of his wails at the end of Kashmir because he was "running out of gas." 

And all of that is totally aside from the fact that Plant has zero interest in reuniting again, and that despite Page's and Jones' willingness at the time to do a tour, all three of them consider the O2 the final redemption for the flawed Live Aid and Atlantic Anniversary reunions - not to mention the period at the end of the sentence of the Page-Plant era.

It's done. There's no bookend - the idea of a reunion to commemorate the 10th anniversary of a one-off show that was itself a reunion, makes no sense. Led Zeppelin will never take the stage again.

Agree on a few fronts, but I do think Robert Plant would have proved more than capable of doing a small series of multiple dates (at that time - 2007), in a few key cities (London, Los Angeles, New York, Paris andFrankfurt) with two days between each show and a number of weeks' rest between each city.  As many bootlegs testify to, sometimes RP ran out of gas during concerts after 1975.  The human voice is a fragile instrument and sometimes it will simply not reach the same notes from song to song in one gig or from gig to gig, no matter how good and powerful a singer is.  I think the colossal emotional charge of doing that O2 show as a one-off had an impact on RP's voice that night; it was not just about his technical singing performance.  Can you imagine the adrenaline on stage that night? 

I think if they were to do a couple of shows now, the appropriate format, with consideration to RP's voice and Jimmy's capability would be entirely acoustic shows in the vein of 'MTV Unplugged', supplemented with an orchestra similar to that used on the Page/Plant tours.

Cheers,
Indi

Bump.

OK, it's almost 2018. There are plenty of theories that there will be something coming.

My hope is: An announcement from Page that he has a program of releases coming that is similar to his remaster of studio albums program. He will endlessly tell interviewers how it only seemed fitting to tell the other side of the story as Zeppelin live was a completely different animal to the studio Zeppelin.

He will start with an early show which will be promoted and released fairly quickly, with more live releases staggered throughout the year that represent some different periods for Led Zeppelin. The last will be a '79/80 release compiling a selection of tracks spanning these two years.

In reality, I think the next thing will be Earl's Court. A live comprehensive release with a super deluxe that includes a lot of the raw material.

The phrase Warners used was "a series of events" to celebrate the anniversary. For all his understandable reluctance to revisit the past, I'd be disappointed if Robert Plant isn't involved in said events, assuming they're just public appearances.

Personally I'd love to see a proper documentary, released to cinema, of the three of them revisiting Zep landmarks & talking about what it meant to be there. Page at 39 Gerrard St, at the site of where he saw Plant sing with Obs-tweedle, the old site of the Marquee for the first London gig, the Denver Auditorium for the first US gig. The Forum. With plenty of archive pictures to illustrate "how it was then" and "how it is now" as it were.

35 minutes ago, 76229 said:

The phrase Warners used was "a series of events" to celebrate the anniversary. For all his understandable reluctance to revisit the past, I'd be disappointed if Robert Plant isn't involved in said events, assuming they're just public appearances.

Personally I'd love to see a proper documentary, released to cinema, of the three of them revisiting Zep landmarks & talking about what it meant to be there. Page at 39 Gerrard St, at the site of where he saw Plant sing with Obs-tweedle, the old site of the Marquee for the first London gig, the Denver Auditorium for the first US gig. The Forum. With plenty of archive pictures to illustrate "how it was then" and "how it is now" as it were.

Great idea. I have said many times that of all the influential bands of the 60's/70's, Zeppelin are the one whose career has never really been covered - officially. Unfortunately one founding member will not be interested - never has been. His "memory" seems to fail when asked. His cryptic and often flippant answers on the subject are frankly dull and not wanted. Having said that the burden is pretty heavy on the man who has forged his own music in the direction he has taken and fair play to him. So don't expect much not even a live release. He could remaster the remasters and add a "50th Anniversary edition";)

2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Unfortunately one founding member will not be interested - never has been. His "memory" seems to fail when asked. His cryptic and often flippant answers on the subject are frankly dull and not wanted.

I don't want to have a pop at Plant, but his "past bad future good" schtick irritates me at times. There he is in the latest Classic Rock magazine, saying how "rock music ran out of steam" and you think er, what? In the interview he appears to dismiss almost all modern rock and roll. He's more than entitled to his opinion after all he's achieved, but at times you just think the lady doth protest too much.

19 minutes ago, 76229 said:

I don't want to have a pop at Plant, but his "past bad future good" schtick irritates me at times. There he is in the latest Classic Rock magazine, saying how "rock music ran out of steam" and you think er, what? In the interview he appears to dismiss almost all modern rock and roll. He's more than entitled to his opinion after all he's achieved, but at times you just think the lady doth protest too much.

Never a truer word on this subject as there ever has been on this forum. Rock music ran out of steam? What exactly was he playing from 1980 onwards?

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

Well you certainly sound like an overexcited teenager who just listened to Led Zeppelin IV and thinks it's somehow Robert Plant's responsibility to enable you to go to a concert event and have a beer there with friends, instead of listening at home. I think he is just traying to say, there is no such thing as rock music, but whatever the cliches about it are, those cliches have turned into something rather unimaginative, commercial, uncreative, simple, cheap and pop like and he is trying to infuse it with all kinds of creativity and influences and that certainly doesn't mean reastablishing a band, that relied so much on their original drummer, youthful techical capability and sogwriting chemistry.

It's great you love Led Zeppelin, but you are terribly stubborn upon seeing your band live in 1972 while it is 2017.

1 hour ago, SamoKodela said:

Well you certainly sound like an overexcited teenager who just listened to Led Zeppelin IV and thinks it's somehow Robert Plant's responsibility to enable you to go to a concert event and have a beer there with friends, instead of listening at home. I think he is just traying to say, there is no such thing as rock music, but whatever the cliches about it are, those cliches have turned into something rather unimaginative, commercial, uncreative, simple, cheap and pop like and he is trying to infuse it with all kinds of creativity and influences and that certainly doesn't mean reastablishing a band, that relied so much on their original drummer, youthful techical capability and sogwriting chemistry.

It's great you love Led Zeppelin, but you are terribly stubborn upon seeing your band live in 1972 while it is 2017.

Eh? Sorry but I don't remotely understand the point you're making. When did I say I wanted it to be like 1972? I don't criticise Plant for not doing a reunion either (I can understand his reasons and respect them fully). Was that what you were tryng to say?

Archived