Presence

Tony Harden

5 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Check out Bonhamology's breakdown of the Candy Store Rock drum track. This song is a serious pain in the ass to play on drums and there are, I think, three or four turnarounds which are super tricky to pull off but Bonzo does it. Plus there is still some contention on exactly how he played it to this day. Funny because the three songs on the album with the most creative and interesting drum parts (RO, CSR, & HOFN) most consider filler songs though all three I really like. Presence is in my top 4 Zep Albums (PG, 4th, HOTH, & Presence).

Funky

Ha, I actually checked out the one by Bonzoleum just last week.. It still made my head spin when he got into the outro section 😂

I actually think Presence has Jimmy and Bonzo both playing arguably the best either had ever played on record up to that point. And to my ears, Plant sounds absolutely incredible, But it's such a feel-bad album haha. I def need to revisit RO and HOFN now.

38 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Check out Bonhamology's breakdown of the Candy Store Rock drum track. This song is a serious pain in the ass to play on drums and there are, I think, three or four turnarounds which are super tricky to pull off but Bonzo does it. Plus there is still some contention on exactly how he played it to this day. Funny because the three songs on the album with the most creative and interesting drum parts (RO, CSR, & HOFN) most consider filler songs though all three I really like. Presence is in my top 4 Zep Albums (PG, 4th, HOTH, & Presence).

Funky

Well, Bob I'm getting turned around now on HOFN lol. Just listened to the Bonhamology cover ... Jesus, that thing swings! I always knew Gene Krupa was one of Bonzo's idols, but you can really hear that influence here. And the stuff he's doing at the end, all those little fills and breaks and whatever else that I don't know the technical terms for because I'm not a drummer ... it really makes me appreciate how great he was. Also, this is the first time listening to the song where I've connected the "everything's fine under heaven" lyric with "haven". "Heaven" sounds exactly like "haven", which cannot be an accident. It's so obvious ... I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere on here by now (I did a search but couldn't find it). 

And I also forgot how much I like Jimmy's solo, His playing with shapes and textures just got better and better as the years went on, In this instance, it feels like a nice way to break up all the stop/start fuckery and let the listener swim in it a bit for a brief pause before the main theme comes back again.