Catalpa trees demolition

SamoKodela

I think it's a relevant topic and yeah it's about my hometown Ptuj again, but 7 large Catalpa trees that look healthy are about to be brought down when the towns

market is going to be renovated. The market is not going to be changed that much(and it looks good now and was made by a famous architect Plečnik that worked around Europe), but the road beyond the Catalpas could be included to enlarge the market even if' it's big enough for events now(it's been really well checked, except that you can't put extremely big, mostly really cheap events there, which are just three quarters of a mile away from the market and center of town now) and a civil movement has gathered 4200 signatures against the trees being put down. There are 20 000 people in this town, so even if not all the signatures are from the immediate town itself, it's a lot. The civil movement might be a bit late, but the town hall hid the project for long, did not want to include citizen's opinion at first and was not interested in getting a professional opinion on the trees at all, unfortunately neither did the movement, as it is a fairly new thing to have such initiatives in our town and they didn't realise half a year ago, how quickly they themselves should start working towards a professional opinion. 

A professional opinion was finally made in July, it was made on visual observation and it's a really good professional and she has written that the trees should remain and that the second and third stage examination should be made, which also includes scientific devices for inner examination. The town hall kept hiding this report until late November!

The town hall ordered another report in Oktober and this guy never really did a second or third degree investigation, but also just observed the trees visually and said that they should be brought down and now the place where he is working is also getting some business selling trees for some other project for the town hall.

So there you go, some people in this town are trying to preserve those trees, they got only days left and they are trying to work against the idea, that everything is just about the profit. Their point is to include the trees in the new market.

Old and new market(last three photos are the new market, it will have trees but that's not the point and they will be small at first):

ptujska-tržnica.jpg

Trznica Ptuj 1.jpg

3525571-1980.jpg

Delo_Foto-20170928162513-75042900.jpeg

3525597.jpg

Trznica Ptuj 3_0.jpg

65426645_01_show.jpg

65426647_03.jpg

izgled trznice.jpg

On 6. 12. 2017 at 9:53 AM, redrum said:

They're going to take away all that nice shade? :(

Let's hope not. They are still standing today and the movement will try and physically prevent it for now, because rumours are they will try to do it before December 18, when the next city council meeting will be, as everybody is now much more informed, as the civil movement's effect was mostly after the council meeting in July when they decided about the new market, so on the new meeting they might demand another professional opinion and then decide further.

Just now, redrum said:

Let the trees prevail.

:thumbsup:

Yeah! It might be a bit sentimental and nostalgic and basically it is because many people would just like too keep them and care for them,

but there are so many other reasons and not just ecological!

You should see what they're doing about 10 miles from me (Black Diamond). Their plans are for 6,000 homes and the amount of trees they've removed is staggering. Thousands upon thousands of people moving in and still only two lane roads to handle the traffic.   

18 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

I hate to see any trees being cut down, they take so long to grow, then one day someone comes along and just fells them.

True shame, I hope they get saved SamoKodela.

Someone illegally cut a big cedar up north recently. It was 96 years old. It got hung up on the other trees so they couldn't take/steal/poach the wood. Pricks.

12 hours ago, redrum said:

Someone illegally cut a big cedar up north recently. It was 96 years old. It got hung up on the other trees so they couldn't take/steal/poach the wood. Pricks.

Terrible! When it's more out in the wild, it's harder to protect it. I think every old three, especially in urban environment should be professionally evaluated before something is built, it's just not right to just tear down trees just because of profit. It might be a bit harsh to investors to consider every older tree, but at least considering it is something!

13 hours ago, redrum said:

Very sad redrum, I’d rather see the poachers get cut up.

On 13. 12. 2017 at 9:53 AM, redrum said:

Seems the guitar makers have no scruples either. Gotta have that wavy wood grain.

This kind od things have to be solved as well, but maybe it has to be posted on a Zeppelin hate board. I'm sure there is no such thing, but maybe someone can just blame Jimmy there.

Looks like catalpas will fall. The amendments were not added and the budget for 2018 was confirmed. The council still has 30 days to write a response to the petition but it's unlikely anything will change about it!

It does not not surprise me much. People might care about houses a bit more, because they live in them and our town is the oldest in Slovenia, it's 2000 years old so a lot of the buildings are protected, but a lot of people are not going to care enough for a few trees.

On 12/18/2017 at 9:04 PM, SamoKodela said:

Looks like catalpas will fall. The amendments were not added and the budget for 2018 was confirmed. The council still has 30 days to write a response to the petition but it's unlikely anything will change about it!

It does not not surprise me much. People might care about houses a bit more, because they live in them and our town is the oldest in Slovenia, it's 2000 years old so a lot of the buildings are protected, but a lot of people are not going to care enough for a few trees.

Sad news.

Yeah let's just leave it at that, I will certainly not discuss it any further and I'm glad no one entered the conversation and made it messy, it's hard to get the message across and sometimes we all wish important topics of care could be brought across without fussing and through reason and kindness.

Archived