best amp for led zep under $500?

thatguynamedjosh247

ok, so here's a question for you guys. i am looking for an amp that has a gain channel good enough to sound like jimmy page. obviously, we all know that it's all in the fingers ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), but what amp would be nearest to what jimmy uses (not on I but on, II, III, IV, etc)? the amp has to be at least 30 watts ( if you find it necessary to recommend something with a lower wattage, feel free to do so), it has to have built-in reverb, and have a decent clean channel as well as being capable of handling non-metal high gain (e.g.: oasis, foo fighters, van halen). it doesn't have to be new, it can be used, as well as refurbished. preferably tube. so, yeah... suggestions? 

Used Marshall DSL 40. Anderton's Music in the U.K. did a youtube thing called something like "sound like Jimmy Page without breaking the bank". This is the amp they recommend. I will mention that the one big mistake people make when trying to emulate JP's tone is to use too much gain. His sound is a lot "cleaner", more just a bit of overdrive" than most people think.

Believe it or not I've been able to get decent Page tones out of a Vox AC-15 with a Beano Boost pedal from Analog.Man. Dave Grohl uses Vox amps in Foo Fighters. You don't hear much about them from the hard rock crowd, but you can get some really nice sounds out of them, as long as you're not trying to play serious metal stuff. Page used them a lot when he was doing the Plant - Page thing in the 90s.

19 hours ago, Jeff777 said:

Used Marshall DSL 40. Anderton's Music in the U.K. did a youtube thing called something like "sound like Jimmy Page without breaking the bank". This is the amp they recommend. I will mention that the one big mistake people make when trying to emulate JP's tone is to use too much gain. His sound is a lot "cleaner", more just a bit of overdrive" than most people think.

Believe it or not I've been able to get decent Page tones out of a Vox AC-15 with a Beano Boost pedal from Analog.Man. Dave Grohl uses Vox amps in Foo Fighters. You don't hear much about them from the hard rock crowd, but you can get some really nice sounds out of them, as long as you're not trying to play serious metal stuff. Page used them a lot when he was doing the Plant - Page thing in the 90s.

hmm... sounds great, and, yes i have seen the anderton's vid, but i was thinking something more budget friendly like a crate vc-30 (https://reverb.com/item/6996080-crate-vc-5310). all tube, btw.

3 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

..the Orange CR120H isn't a bad option for the price (under $500.00).  Check out this Youtube video:

Great vid. He get’s pretty close. The only thing I’d point out is I’m pretty sure Page used stock wiring during the Zeppelin years. He didn’t do the push pull mod until the early 80s. 

29 minutes ago, Jeff777 said:

Great vid. He get’s pretty close. The only thing I’d point out is I’m pretty sure Page used stock wiring during the Zeppelin years. He didn’t do the push pull mod until the early 80s. 

yeah, even though i love dave simpson, i would prefer a tube amp, great recommendation though.

Archived