Parents Comments About Zeppelin

John M

I searched for a thread like this and did not find one.  I found a thread on music your parents liked.

What comments do you remember your parents making about Led Zeppelin?

There is one I will never forget.  I had just bought the original vinyl release of TSRTS soundtrack in fall 1976 and was blasting out the ending boogie part of Whole Lotta Love.  My dad walked into my room and said "Who is this?  That rhythm section is pretty good.   The walking bass line - the oldest trick in the book."   

Both of my parents really liked the boogie sections of WLL from TSRTS just like John's comment above. My parents were in their 20's during the 50's and loved that era of music and were pleasantly surprised that a contemporary band like Zeppelin were in to that type of music. 

Of course when I cranked up Immigrant Song or Dazed & Confused they thought I had lost my mind but...small victories.

I can remember , when I was about 9 (1975), going to a record store in Chicago with my dad and instead of buying his usual jazz LPs, he bought a large batch of Rock albums. I was fascinated by the covers....Jethro Tull War Child, Aqualung, Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon, Meddle, Sabbath Paranoid, Bowie albums, Lucifer's Friend. I think LZ 3,4 and HOTH were in the batch. He said of all the rock bands he heard he preferred Zep and that Bonham had the best sound , groove and feel. He liked Ian Paice too. He loved Zep even though he was an old school bebop fanatic, and he would point out things about the songs that were interesting arrangement wise. He played drums and got me started playing them. He also took me to see TSRTS when I was 11. It's because of him I became a drummer and a lifelong fan of Zep. He was a pretty cool parental unit. 

My dad use to say turn down that dirty music and when the first loud section of Ten years gone began, he was just in the room once and he said 'what's this sharp music?', but he did like All my love. There was actually TSRTS on Slovenian TV in 1997 and I convinced my dad to let me watch one song(I recorded the rest) and he made fumbling noises with his mouth during the solo which has really upset me and he said the guitarist is surely drugged out and that the singer won't be able to have kids with such tight trousers. My mum once said she doesn't like music where so much happens, but she still really liked Ten years gone.

My dad is a nice guy, just a bit uncommunicative, stubborn and blunt and the fumbling noises would probably still upset me, but I'm sure he wouldn't even think of them if he would hear the solo from the new DVD. I didn't know the movie was on TV. My mum kindly and enthusiastically told me there might be something on TV she is hearing from my room recently and I got so excited and upset I missed some and so we started to watch during SIBLY and I just started saying literally 'Why isn't this being recorded?' like someone was suppose to do that and I quickly started recording. I remember my dad saying how long into the night he had to wait to turn the VCR off. There was also a short intermission during WLL, the guys on national televison must have had some old tape. I wish I knew back then so I could say to my dad Page luckily wasn't on drugs back then and Plant already had kids.

My Father was a classically trained pianist. He grew up in a different era of music. The Generation gap between men who served between the finish of WW2 and Korea. His taste in music was Classical, such as Mozart..ect.., Jazz, big band music. Never forget when he heard Kashmir. He knew that was a masterpiece.

No Dad for me unfortunately, but my mum AFAIK has zero Zep experience. I might take this as a challenge and ask mum to listen to a few choice tracks. It is out of her comfort zone, but as her taste is what I grew up with, and fully appreciate and still listen to on occasion (stuff like Neil Diamond - Hot August Night, some Johnny Cash, Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees, Wings - Band on the Run) I think mumsy will at least "be polite" LOL.

I'm thinking....

Ten Years Gone

SIBLY from BBC sessions (I always thought that was one of the top 3 ever versions)

I'm Gonna Crawl

I'm going to see how that goes. She knows I am a Zeppelin nut. Will be interesting...

My dad came in when I was watching a LZ dvd, looked at the screen, and asked "are those two guys a couple of fruit cakes, or what?"  I couldn't imagine trying to explain to my dad that those two "fruit cakes" got more girls than any 100 regular men combined!!

My mother was a part of the reason I got into Zep. . While on the phone with my BF in 7th grade I was looking through my moms LPs and saw an original LZ I and my friend Lisa tripped and said "Put on I Cant Quit You Baby RIGHT NOW!!!" I heard that Percy wail and Ive never been the same. . Mom never noticed I took her LZ I and still have it to this day. . THX MOM!!!

My father hated 85% of rock but did like some songs which were classically influenced, like BIGLY. Believe it or not,

but in my area when TSRTS was playing in the midnight movie circuit, In the theaters, the review said that the movie

had much onstage lewd behavior and sex gyrations not suitable for teens, even preteens. My area is pretty liberal,

this seemed way overboard, ridiculous. My mother didn't like their presentation or music, but saw no reason to 

ban it  or anything. I think that much Blues simply uses different scales in matter foreign to Euro -classical  players,

and  that's one big reason why  the two styles may clash considerably.

12 hours ago, rm2551 said:

No Dad for me unfortunately, but my mum AFAIK has zero Zep experience. I might take this as a challenge and ask mum to listen to a few choice tracks. It is out of her comfort zone, but as her taste is what I grew up with, and fully appreciate and still listen to on occasion (stuff like Neil Diamond - Hot August Night, some Johnny Cash, Boz Scaggs - Silk Degrees, Wings - Band on the Run) I think mumsy will at least "be polite" LOL.

I'm thinking....

Ten Years Gone

SIBLY from BBC sessions (I always thought that was one of the top 3 ever versions)

I'm Gonna Crawl

I'm going to see how that goes. She knows I am a Zeppelin nut. Will be interesting...

Looking over your Mom's tastes, might I suggest these ten:

"That's The Way" - Led Zeppelin III

"Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" ~ Led Zeppelin III

"Going to California" ~ Led Zeppelin IV

"Down By the Seaside" ~ Physical Graffiti

"Ten Years Gone" ~ Physical Graffiti

"Hot Dog" ~ In Through the Out Door

"Rain Song" ~ Houses of the Holy

"Over the Hills and Far Away" ~ Houses of the Holy

"Hey Hey What Can I Do" ~ Coda Companion disc

"Thank You" ~ Led Zeppelin II

Also, I would play the Led Zeppelin III version of "Since I've Been Loving You" instead of the BBC one. Live Led Zeppelin can be a little too raw, rough and brutal for first-time initiates. Save the live stuff for after you have gotten her a toehold in the band.

Good luck.

5 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

My father hated 85% of rock but did like some songs which were classically influenced, like BIGLY. Believe it or not,

but in my area when TSRTS was playing in the midnight movie circuit, In the theaters, the review said that the movie

had much onstage lewd behavior and sex gyrations not suitable for teens, even preteens. My area is pretty liberal,

this seemed way overboard, ridiculous. My mother didn't like their presentation or music, but saw no reason to 

ban it  or anything. I think that much Blues simply uses different scales in matter foreign to Euro -classical  players,

and  that's one big reason why  the two styles may clash considerably.

My dad still has a cassette with Roy Orbison, Engelbert Humperdinck, Neil Diamond and songs like California blue, Song sung blue, Crying time, The Spanish night is over, he used to listen to it quite a lot in the car and I liked it a lot and how melodic it was, but he also had a lot of 80's Yugoslavian pop hits, which I didn't like that much!

My mum actually gave me three LP's when I was thirteen, the red Beatles compilation and the first Yugoslavian rock opera based on true story with Josipa Lisac singing about an old famous peasant Matija Gubec that fought for the rights of the peasants centuries ago and she bought me a Janis Joplin compilation once. She was quite encouraging to my musical interests. Now I also have Led Zeppelin III LP, the only other LP I have.

7 hours ago, Strider said:

Looking over your Mom's tastes, might I suggest these ten:

"That's The Way" - Led Zeppelin III

"Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" ~ Led Zeppelin III

"Going to California" ~ Led Zeppelin IV

"Down By the Seaside" ~ Physical Graffiti

"Ten Years Gone" ~ Physical Graffiti

"Hot Dog" ~ In Through the Out Door

"Rain Song" ~ Houses of the Holy

"Over the Hills and Far Away" ~ Houses of the Holy

"Hey Hey What Can I Do" ~ Coda Companion disc

"Thank You" ~ Led Zeppelin II

Also, I would play the Led Zeppelin III version of "Since I've Been Loving You" instead of the BBC one. Live Led Zeppelin can be a little too raw, rough and brutal for first-time initiates. Save the live stuff for after you have gotten her a toehold in the band.

Good luck.

Cheers Strider. I'll be starting with only a track or two. See how it goes.....

My dad knew I was a huge Zep fan since I was ten, but never really acknowledged anything. About three years ago we were riding together somewhere and WLL came on the radio and he said "Hey, I remember that one. Who is that?" I answered Led Zeppelin with a grin on my face. I think he always thought they were just a heavy metal band like Judas Priest or something.

My dad never understood rock music, he was born in 1920 so he was very traditional in his musical tastes, UK military music post WW2 crooners and that was it really. He never got my tastes and knew who Zep were but always wanted me to turn the volume down whoever I played. I bought a good pair of headphones. My mum had more wider tastes and she liked Zep and Queen and quite a few other songs she heard during my teenage years in the 70's. Stairway was her favourite song. I remember she was disappointed that I hadn't taken her to see Robert Plant in 1988 when he payed in my home town. She would have loved that in hindsight.

Both are long gone now.

The only time I ever saw my Dad enjoy any rock music was the Van Halen video where Eddie plays guitar with the cordless drill.  For some reason he thought that was great.  Basically to him, rock music was made by untalented 'druggies.'  He was a WW2 big band era guy...Dorsey, Miller, and the crooners like Bing Crosby that came with it.  He despised Les Paul & Woody Guthrie too.  Jimi Hendrix appearing on his favorite prime-time variety shows at the end of the 60's was an insult to mankind.  If you drove with him, it was one station....WJR...The Voice of the Great Lakes. 

Mom liked everything.  She knew "Stairway", and Liked ITTOD.  Fleetwood Mac & Steve Miller were her favorites.  She did not like Kiss, Alice Cooper, or especially Bowie.  Every time I came home from school and one of those 3 were on the Mike Douglas Show or such, I heard about it.  Bowie really freaked her...."What's wrong with him ?"  Lol....he was a little difficult to explain.

Mostly negative responses from parents downstairs due to the volume from our bedroom (my brother and I).  I do recall one meal conversation with my Dad who said that one of the songs sounded like moving furniture. It was Kashmir. 

On 12/8/2017 at 8:34 AM, NealR2000 said:

Mostly negative responses from parents downstairs due to the volume from our bedroom (my brother and I).  I do recall one meal conversation with my Dad who said that one of the songs sounded like moving furniture. It was Kashmir. 

OMG, that is hilarious!!!

I got into classic rock because of my dad! His favorite band is the Who, but he had all of the Led Zeppelin albums, most of the Stones and is an ENORMOUS Jimi Hendrix fan. I can still remember him blasting "Gypsy Eyes" on Saturday mornings!

And I have to admit, I HATED "Stairway to Heaven" because he went through a phase where he played it over and over and over again! I got over that, of course! But yeah, my dad actively encouraged and was responsible for my taste in music!

1 hour ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

OMG, that is hilarious!!!

I got into classic rock because of my dad! His favorite band is the Who, but he had all of the Led Zeppelin albums, most of the Stones and is an ENORMOUS Jimi Hendrix fan. I can still remember him blasting "Gypsy Eyes" on Saturday mornings!

And I have to admit, I HATED "Stairway to Heaven" because he went through a phase where he played it over and over and over again! I got over that, of course! But yeah, my dad actively encouraged and was responsible for my taste in music!

I think our respective dads were from different generations.  I'm 58, so I suspect my dad was a little older than yours.  For him, it was all Sinatra, Ella, and Dixieland jazz. The only music of mine that he ever made a positive remark about was Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".

Talking of my dad, I just remembered back around 1975, he was at home and I was at school.  My Zep albums were out.  He told me that a couple of plumbers had been at the house and they had noticed the Zep albums.  Apparently, one of the plumbers was a relative of Plant's.  We lived in the UK Midlands.

On a similar note, I worked pumping gas nearby and I made a point of writing LED ZEPPELIN is big letters on the cashier desk.  I went to work one day only to find out that Richard Cole had been in for gas before I got there and he saw my graffiti. 

17 hours ago, NealR2000 said:

I think our respective dads were from different generations.  I'm 58, so I suspect my dad was a little older than yours.  For him, it was all Sinatra, Ella, and Dixieland jazz. The only music of mine that he ever made a positive remark about was Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond".

Talking of my dad, I just remembered back around 1975, he was at home and I was at school.  My Zep albums were out.  He told me that a couple of plumbers had been at the house and they had noticed the Zep albums.  Apparently, one of the plumbers was a relative of Plant's.  We lived in the UK Midlands.

On a similar note, I worked pumping gas nearby and I made a point of writing LED ZEPPELIN is big letters on the cashier desk.  I went to work one day only to find out that Richard Cole had been in for gas before I got there and he saw my graffiti. 

Yes, my dad is 74, so definitely a different generation. 

Very cool stories about the plumbing Plant relative and Richard Cole! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 8:34 AM, NealR2000 said:

sounds like my parents, lol! 

Archived