Black Dog in film TSRTS

Tony Harden

From about three years the soundtrack and the VHS of the film TSRTS were my only means of live Zep.  This was in the second half and early third quarter of the 1980's when I was about 18 - 20. 

My favorite song from the film TSRTS was definately Black Dog and the ending, some better musically educated would likely say the coda, always astonished me.  I never understood why Black Dog wasn't on the soundtrack; and I asked several techies how the song could be recorded directly onto cassette.  They always said, "That's gone be hard to do."

When it first came out on VHS in the 80's, I bought a stereo VCR. The first thing I did was connect it to my tape deck to record all the missing songs from the soundtrack. Must have played that poor tape a thousand times

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, zeplz71 said:

When it first came out on VHS in the 80's, I bought a stereo VCR. The first thing I did was connect it to my tape deck to record all the missing songs from the soundtrack. Must have played that poor tape a thousand times

Was there anything except Black Dog and SIBLY missing from the soundtrack?  I will say that it was a different version of No Quarter on the soundtrack than the one in the film and I prefer the one in the film.  As a matter of fact, to me the versions of SIBLY and No Quarter in the film are among my favorite live versions of these songs.

Once again - Thank you all.

48 minutes ago, Tony Harden said:

Was there anything except Black Dog and SIBLY missing from the soundtrack?  I will say that it was a different version of No Quarter on the soundtrack than the one in the film and I prefer the one in the film.  As a matter of fact, to me the versions of SIBLY and No Quarter in the film are among my favorite live versions of these songs.

Once again - Thank you all.

Also missing: Misty Mountain Hop, The Ocean, and Heartbreaker

Pretty sure Over the Hills was there as well, but the Ip man is usually right. Dancing Days was played on that tour as well,

but seemed to get phased out close to the "Garden Tapes". Still don't get why Page didn't leave the original NQ in; Many

consider this a all time live classic, even with some splicing and studio trickery. The thing is, Zep played so many amazing

versions of songs on boots with no trickery in 73', does it really matter that Page always stuck his hands in things that

basically blew away 95% of other bands out there ? Heartreaker, the original ommission, wasn't legendary but IMO

very good to excellent., again the odd ommisson, Page's soloing is pretty far up there.

3 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Pretty sure Over the Hills was there as well, but the Ip man is usually right. Dancing Days was played on that tour as well,

but seemed to get phased out close to the "Garden Tapes". Still don't get why Page didn't leave the original NQ in; Many

consider this a all time live classic, even with some splicing and studio trickery. The thing is, Zep played so many amazing

versions of songs on boots with no trickery in 73', does it really matter that Page always stuck his hands in things that

basically blew away 95% of other bands out there ? Heartreaker, the original ommission, wasn't legendary but IMO

very good to excellent., again the odd ommisson, Page's soloing is pretty far up there.

You are correct OTH&FA was played all three night's, plus Thank You w/ Organ Solo closed out the final night on the 29th.

12 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Don't you think a lot of the splicing had to do with the horror of programming a live Zep performance to a double vinyl album? I can imagine the pressing plant engineer raised his eyebrows when a 26' (edited) version of Dazed and Confused had to be squeezed on side 2. As for Dancing Days removal of the set list, you'll have to check the Detroit SB version...not particularly inspired if you ask me. Certainly compared to the 72 and Winter/spring 73 versions. Jimmy as a producer was never an advocate of a warts and all experience, I think.

Yup, sure, the splicing was to a degree necessary. And Dancing Days, very few versions convince, some of the studio

version just didn't translate live, too many EQ guitar shifts for which there wasn't really a pedal for that , even now.

Again, I have some 73' Stairway's which IMO are even a bit better than the TSRTS version. And boots, no alterations.

So true though, back then to film and record a almost complete show, and make all match , very difficult.

Archived