What song would you have liked to see open Show?

fwb

Early on, they opened with Train Kept A Rollin or the Immigrant Song.  Rock n Roll in 73 or 75.  The Song Remains the Same seemed perfect for the opening song on the 77 tour.  Ironically, Train Kept a Rollin for their last (not knowing).  I think they all were fitting for their time.

Question is - if you could change or you could have named the opening song for a future tour (say Zeppelin over America 80/81) - What would it be?

Like most things Zeppelin, I have multiple choices, no losers here.

But, I seem to gravitate to a song that has a long intro like In the Light or In the Evening.  A long drawn out intro or a minute or two ( or more) and then BAM!!!  Lights up, Robert singing band swinging. 

Thoughts?

Well it has to be one from my favourite album then, Out on the tiles and there is gonna be another one from the album latter on, my favourite Zeppelin song, one which they always will play as long as they are in existence :'(:stereo::drinks:     as Plant said in Mobile in 1973 and that one makes me really, really suffer these days, so a fun one at the start would be really great! 

In addition to the great choices listed above, Custard Pie.

Speaking of intros, when we first saw the film TSRTS in 1976 my brother said Celebration Day should have been in the film and it should have started off in the dark and have the lights blast when the drums and bass come in.  I must say that still sounds a good idea to this day.  In fact, Celebration Day would have made a great show opener.

I too like the idea of a song with a nice, building intro and then BAM! So my vote would either be In the Evening or Celebration Day with a new introduction arrangement which leads into the traditional intro to the song. Kinda play with the audience, really build up the tension and then...hit the afterburners.

Though I believe ITE with a drawn out, building intro more along the lines of the outtake version (the looping egyptian drone being played by Jones, Bonzo's tympani, and Jimmy adding bowed guitar).

The final encore should have been either The Ocean, Out on the Tiles, or Wearing and Tearing. Leave the fans with a nice, upbeat rollercoaster ride of a song for the drive home.

Good one.  When you turn up the volume way up and play the first disc of the Zeppelin DVD from 2003 - hear Bonham test his drum kit and WHAM!!!!  What a show that Royal Albert Hall was .....  Great opening number for the DVD.

WGG is great, but not sure about Plant singing high like at RAH. A sleeper track, with Page strutting around with the 

funky beat, HOFN.. Then cut short, leading into NFBM. The second half of HOFN has too many overdubs and EQ trickery

to convince live.

On 12/24/2017 at 2:16 AM, TMOQ said:

Moby Dick. They'd never see it coming.

Oh shit that would be awesome in a very Marx Bros. sort of way.

Good Evening Cleveland...so glad to be back, now, John Bonham...Moby Dick, dick, dick, dick....(as rest of band leaves stage en route to the crafts table).

Then they can end the show with Pat's Delight as the final encore.

Archived