Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

http://ledzepnews.com/2017/12/19/jimmy-page-said-previously-unheard-led-zeppelin-music-manner-surprises-will-released-bands-fiftieth-anniversary/

“There’ll be Led Zeppelin product coming out, for sure, that people haven’t heard,” Page said, “because I’m working on that. Next year will be the fiftieth year so there’s all manner of surprises coming out.”

Next year will be the fiftieth year so there’s all manner of surprises coming out.”

I'm going to interpret "all manner" exactly as he said it.....audio & video.  I'm going to let myself speculate that "all manner" also means material from the beginning until the end of their career.  I also believe that any speculation on our part of "what's left", is way off the mark, especially when it comes to audio, both studio & live.  As an example, we all could have tried to guess what was actually going to be on the "Coda Compilation Disc" before hand, and except for the obvious like "HHWCID", we would have all been wrong.  "Surprises" means unexpected and previously unknown.  

I want a nice clean version of "As Long As I Have You" from an early studio session, and any audio/video from the 1977 Tour.  It's time to fill that hole !      

I'm both excited and extremely pessimistic. Jimmy usually keeps his word, but let's be honest, 90% of the reissues were lame. Anything that might be truly awesome will be edited and over produced to where it's uninteresting. But I'll take what I can get.

SOL studio was up and running in the summer of 1980, was it not? What if two tracks from Coda were falsly attributed to Polar studios? We now know that Page lied about We're gonna groove, prolly due to contractual obligation of one more Zepp studio album. The original Bonham radio announcement describes a "recording session" that he became too drunk to participate in. What if  Darlene and Ozone Baby were actually recorded in summer of 1980 at SOL studios?

5 minutes ago, LurksReturnington said:

SOL studio was up and running in the summer of 1980, was it not? What if two tracks from Coda were falsly attributed to Polar studios? We now know that Page lied about We're gonna groove, prolly due to contractual obligation of one more Zepp studio album. The original Bonham radio announcement describes a "recording session" that he became too drunk to participate in. What if  Darlene and Ozone Baby were actually recorded in summer of 1980 at SOL studios?

Leif Masses , an engineer who eventually ended up at SOL, was working in Nov - Dec 78 with Zeppelin at Polar Studios. Jimmy's website, (on this day posts) also mention that those tracks were recorded there.

The station had it wrong. Bray studios was a film and television facility, not a recording studio for music.

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm both excited and extremely pessimistic. Jimmy usually keeps his word, but let's be honest, 90% of the reissues were lame. Anything that might be truly awesome will be edited and over produced to where it's uninteresting. But I'll take what I can get.

How often were truly awesome things done by Jimmy Page edited and over produced to the point of being uninteresting?! Let's hope for the best, which is unreleased live shows like Japan, Montreux or Bath  festival or/and other unreleased studio/live material in great audio quality, as well as video and documentary stuff and surprises we can't even imagine!

I would like to know more about how Plant could sing so well by the age of 20! I think it's amazing! Just the breathing technique and articulation alone and then the whole resonance of the voice! To achieve that alone! Amazing! I would love to hear him talk about that!

2 hours ago, sixpense said:

Leif Masses , an engineer who eventually ended up at SOL, was working in Nov - Dec 78 with Zeppelin at Polar Studios. Jimmy's website, (on this day posts) also mention that those tracks were recorded there.

The station had it wrong. Bray studios was a film and television facility, not a recording studio for music.

I thot they were at Page's house on 24 sept 80? Who was the engineer for Death Wish? My speculation stems from an interview with that guy.. the person Jimmy hired in 80 to work SOL.. was that Leif?

Polar sounds slick whereas SOL sounds kind of dry. Darlene and Ozone Baby sound dry, like 'Death Wish II' not slick like 'In through the Outdoor.' If I recall correctly the engneer describes getting a stack of tapes that will comprise Coda, and he left this reader with the impression that he was not 100 percent certain where the latter tracks were from.

19 minutes ago, chef free said:

You all will forgive my doubts but I'm not holding my breath!

THANK YOU!  As many time as we've heard Jimmy say "The vault is empty", I find it highly suspect that we will get anything of note.  Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to see/hear something great, but my guess is that it will be something we the fans have seen before, but the general public has not. 

1 hour ago, LurksReturnington said:

I thot they were at Page's house on 24 sept 80? Who was the engineer for Death Wish? My speculation stems from an interview with that guy.. the person Jimmy hired in 80 to work SOL.. was that Leif?

Polar sounds slick whereas SOL sounds kind of dry. Darlene and Ozone Baby sound dry, like 'Death Wish II' not slick like 'In through the Outdoor.' If I recall correctly the engneer describes getting a stack of tapes that will comprise Coda, and he left this reader with the impression that he was not 100 percent certain where the latter tracks were from.

yes - Leif Masses worked on DW2-

https://t.co/6Fd7g7Gajn what a great interview. You can see the pride he has in what Led Zeppelin achieved & damn right too! 

Still so much he could expand on I’ve heard quotes that he won’t publish the real deal cos of legal issues until after he’s gone (not yet please, he can still get out & play!) Just hope he’s making sure everything he wants to say is captured before that time comes. The Man is a Genius.

5 hours ago, LurksReturnington said:

Bonzo never made it to Bray. (From what I have read) he was very drunk and rested at Page's house where he passed away.

Jimmy more than likely remixed the four polar studio tracks at SOL. Those track were intended to be released as an EP in August of 1979 just prior to Knebworth. Jimmy did record Plant's vocals to Poor Tom at SOL (IMO) as well as finishing the rest of CODA there as well. Jimmy was quoted after the CODA release that there was no more unreleased Zeppelin studio tracks. We all know now that wasn't true because Sugar Momma was mixed at SOL as well. (Credits in remastered CODA release) I'm not sure why Jimmy said that at the time.

FYI Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop was recorded at SOL with Leif Masses with Leif Masses engineering.

22 hours ago, Mook said:

“There’ll be Led Zeppelin product coming out, for sure, that people haven’t heard,” Page said, “because I’m working on that. Next year will be the fiftieth year so there’s all manner of surprises coming out.”

In other words, there's another nickel to be drained. Standby for coffee mugs, mouse pads and t-shirts.

19 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

I want a nice clean version of "As Long As I Have You" from an early studio session

He'd have to capitulate on having said the recent remasters campaign will stand as the last studio releases.

18 hours ago, LurksReturnington said:

SOL studio was up and running in the summer of 1980, was it not? What if two tracks from Coda were falsly attributed to Polar studios? What if  Darlene and Ozone Baby were actually recorded in summer of 1980 at SOL studios?

No. Page, Plant and Jones all took family holidays following the end of the tour. Jimmy began moving into Old Mill House in August.

9 hours ago, sixpense said:

Bonzo never made it to Bray. (From what I have read). 

Absolutely false. They all rehearsed at Bray the afternoon of September 24, 1980, concluding around 8 pm.

Archived