Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

It looks like pure speculation around here so I'll try to add to that... I have no idea how I could remember this, but I know everyone remembers back in September 2016 when we got the Montreux '70 upgrade with Communication Breakdown, and the unexplained photos that complimented it.. I seem to recall a photo of what seemed to be an official document of Copenhagen 1971-05-04 setlist (the unheard following night) which listed Gallows Pole...

September 2016, as soon as TCBBC was all finished and released it was certainly time to began checking the vault for something special for this upcoming release.

5 hours ago, Mook said:

I absolutely love the Earls Court stuff on DVD.

The full concert bootleg DVD I have though isn't great, definitely an off night for Bonham.

What night are you talking about? 24th or 25th?

I think he was maybe a bit off on the 24th. Not so much on the 25th.

The DVD songs from Earls Court are great and Bonzo's playing is top notch (especially the Stairway version is great). Not sure what some are talking about here.

4 minutes ago, the-ocean87 said:

What night are you talking about? 24th or 25th?

I think he was maybe a bit off on the 24th. Not so much on the 25th.

The DVD songs from Earls Court are great and Bonzo's playing is top notch (especially the Stairway version is great). Not sure what some are talking about here.

Yeah it's the 24th & he's not having a great night.

Not sure if there are some good live recordings left in Jimmy's vault. I doubt it, because it would've been released already, most likely, if it was of high quality. Maybe some people here expect too much from this releases. I was very disappointed with the companion discs, cause I knew so many outtakes and was expecting some of them in better quality on the companion discs. I won't get my hopes up too high for an upcoming release which is at this point unlikely to be something really incredible (Like "DVD" or HTWWW").

Maybe a re-release of HTWWW with some bonus tracks?

Are we sure that Japan 1971 was mulit-tracked? Southampton won't be released I think because there is too much to fix and Plant is off. A complete DVD of Earls Court is also unlikely IMO . Let's see. Would love to see something unexpected though.

6 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

I thought the knebworth part of the DVD smoked the earls court part be a large margin and at least plants voice had alot more power and range in 1979. I really don't like the last 2 earls court gigs even Bonham struggles on those 2 nights. The west coast shows  of 75 smoke the earls court shows. But there are moments during the first 3 nights I really love. I definitely don t want an earls court only release this year . A series of releases or a live box would be a dream.

I never liked the Knebworth sound. Page's guitar sound has no power and Bonzo's steel kit doesn't have the same old punch. Also JPJ's bass sound at that time was crappy, too much treble and missing low frequencies.

43 minutes ago, the-ocean87 said:

It's ok but not his best day. 25th was surely better. I always found his solo on the 24th uninspired.

Very few drum solos from 1975 onward were inspired. It was a rest break for the band and the audience.

Yes the japan recordings are confirmed and if you look at the pictures of both osaka shows you can see the extra recording mics. Jimmy confirmed on his on this day part of his website that tokyo September 24 was recorded. The band claimed in the 70s they recorded the shows but were not happy with the tapes and wiped them but page still has at least some of them. They were reviewed for release in the early 2000s around the time they began work on DVD and hwww but were passed over.

People talk about the 1970 Bath Festival being the holy grail. But no one seems to care about the 1969 Bath Festival performance....I would love to hear that.

Even more than that, though, is the one 1969 performance I am most interested in...the closing Pops Prom gig at the Royal Albert Hall Sunday June 29, 1969. NME raved about this performance and the encore featured Blodwyn Pig and others on stage with Zeppelin ripping thru "Long Tall Sally".

This is what I dream of being in the vaults somewhere.

54 minutes ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

Wasn't there a rumor that an audience tape for denmark 1971 was supposed to have surfaced and is in the the hands of Someone in europe and gallows pole was on the tape. I remember it was announced on Twitter under led zeppelin news.

That bootleg has been out for years...I have three different versions.

100309020538.jpg.c9c75cd8b6a8f471ad5759258976c3f0.jpg

12083529.jpg.b31df06a74f2543b6e7bfff2315b1b14.jpg

swingin_gallows_pole_f.thumb.jpg.f48678159dbfef72cc1d44330e4cd44c.jpg

12 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

I don't know what all the fuss about EC is, anyway.

If it was a knock-it-out-of-the-park performance, Pagey would have released it years ago.

The occasion was momentous, but the performance in the most was not.

Agree

9 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

The earls court footage on dvd needed major restoration work to be made presentable and even at that it still had many flaws that could not be fixed  and where the individual camera angles where not recorded there is little can be done with the ec footage so it's safe to say a video release won't happen.

Agree... the video coverage is super boring after a few minutes.

3 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

I never liked the Knebworth sound. Page's guitar sound has no power and Bonzo's steel kit doesn't have the same old punch. Also JPJ's bass sound at that time was crappy, too much treble and missing low frequencies.

Not a fan of the Knebworth recordings. But I wasn't there, so I know that any show released would be a treat for anyone that attended, including the EC shows.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Very few drum solos from 1975 onward were inspired. It was a rest break for the band and the audience.

Well, the 3/4/75 solo in Dallas received a resounding ovation from both the audience and, the band. Inspired. :hurrah:

Here's what I mentioned..

Now don't under any circumstances go away with any impression that this will be it, but I don't see there being a few shows that the band recorded (on soundboard, obviously) for a personal reference being out of the question.. These guys were a little bit more professional than what many might think.. They were certainly doing their homework (listening to themselves and perfecting every detail in their music) throughout 1969-1973. While touring throughout 1971, and working on the definite rock n roll album they certainly were making some type of sound board recordings, before the NA tour.

Why hasn't some magical recording like this been released by now? Simply because this isn't golden standard multi tracked material that Page prefers to use for official releases, It sounds like Page has been scraping the bottom of the barrel of the multi tracked tapes of RAH '70, Osaka '71, CA '72, Southampton & NY '73, EC '75, Knebworth '79.. But perhaps decided to take a look at the bottom shelf 'band reference' soundboard tapes to see if there's anything interesting.. To say the least, there might be a coincidence between the specific things we randomly got last year between these photos, the Montreux show (and the photos of the reels of that show), and the 1971-09-28 Black Dog... All seem like little things that purposely get out when Page digs into the vault.. I would imagine that when Page and Shirley or whoever digs in the vault and gathers some shows, along with the digital transfering work they would label everything in a rather quick, yet authentic fashion like this, as they are quite professionals in the music production business.

But at the end of the day. If this is just some random audience recording someone has the fortune of hoarding, and we get some underwhelming EC '75 compilation live album, I'll still be happy to get to add something to my Zeppelin collection.. Heck just an audio release of the DVD would be awesome lol.

3 hours ago, nick2632 said:

Here's what I mentioned..

Now don't under any circumstances go away with any impression that this will be it, but I don't see there being a few shows that the band recorded (on soundboard, obviously) for a personal reference being out of the question.. These guys were a little bit more professional than what many might think.. They were certainly doing their homework (listening to themselves and perfecting every detail in their music) throughout 1969-1973. While touring throughout 1971, and working on the definite rock n roll album they certainly were making some type of sound board recordings, before the NA tour.

Why hasn't some magical recording like this been released by now? Simply because this isn't golden standard multi tracked material that Page prefers to use for official releases, It sounds like Page has been scraping the bottom of the barrel of the multi tracked tapes of RAH '70, Osaka '71, CA '72, Southampton & NY '73, EC '75, Knebworth '79.. But perhaps decided to take a look at the bottom shelf 'band reference' soundboard tapes to see if there's anything interesting.. To say the least, there might be a coincidence between the specific things we randomly got last year between these photos, the Montreux show (and the photos of the reels of that show), and the 1971-09-28 Black Dog... All seem like little things that purposely get out when Page digs into the vault.. I would imagine that when Page and Shirley or whoever digs in the vault and gathers some shows, along with the digital transfering work they would label everything in a rather quick, yet authentic fashion like this, as they are quite professionals in the music production business.

But at the end of the day. If this is just some random audience recording someone has the fortune of hoarding, and we get some underwhelming EC '75 compilation live album, I'll still be happy to get to add something to my Zeppelin collection.. Heck just an audio release of the DVD would be awesome lol.

Agree with this.

We're are probably now down to the second tier of live recordings, but ironically, they may be the ones of most interest to hard core Zep fans.

That's why we need a bootleg series to satisfy the hardcore fans who want to hear umpteen versions of Dazed and Confused in soundboard quality.

4 hours ago, The Rover said:

Well, the 3/4/75 solo in Dallas received a resounding ovation from both the audience and, the band. Inspired. :hurrah:

Every Moby Dick received a resounding ovation. I wasn't speaking from a fan's perspective but from the listener at home's perspective, who doesn't have the added attraction of being there and seeing the visuals. If you listen to multiple 1975-77 bootlegs in a row, after a while the drum solos become repetitious. 

4 hours ago, Strider said:

Every Moby Dick received a resounding ovation. I wasn't speaking from a fan's perspective but from the listener at home's perspective, who doesn't have the added attraction of being there and seeing the visuals. If you listen to multiple 1975-77 bootlegs in a row, after a while the drum solos become repetitious. 

Without the visuals, just listening isn't worth my time...

But I'd love for Jimmy to release isolated Bonham tracks for all studio work.

That's worth a listen.

The ultimate dream being isolated tracks released for --all-- studio works.

For an official release i would take soundboards from the second u.s tour of 1970 or something from the 1971 north America tour over any of the known multitracks. That's my favorite era . Vocally and musically those shows need no editing or fixing so you would think page would overlook the sound quality issues because the performances are insane and the band is really living up to their reputation as one of the greatest live acts of all time. But I think a big obstacle for jimmy is getting everyone to agree. Jimmy said he has great sounding live tapes that he has proposed for release in the past but was voted down. Give me a Vancouver 1971 sb tape. The 1971 n.a tour opener. A wish I will probably never be granted.

When I think about it I guess the only thing I really like about knebworth is that plants voice is in strong shpae and I really enjoy listening to plant when he is singing well even if the show is lacking musically. I even enjoy the second knebworth show just for plants voice which is stronger then the first knebworth show. I also love the 1977 San Diego show despite Bonham' s issues because plants voice is very strong and it's a Millard tape. That being said I don't think knebworth should be a full release on its own.

I don't understand the shit the EC shows are getting as four of the five night's were strong performances and three of the five were goddamned stellar. The only misstep is Bonham's performance on the 24th and even that is not bad, just very measured and rather uninspired. I have In the Court of King James on DVD and I play that damn thing often as it is a GREAT performance (minus MD which I skip). And that show is not even one of the top three (17th, 18th, & 23rd) of the run, just imagine what the 23rd multi-tracked sounds like, it would be a goddamned monster!

So yes, I would most definitely want a full EC release, especially if it is the 23rd. I do agree with the other poster and with Strider's Moby Dick comment. Once a drum solo exceeds 10 minutes it becomes at best a parody IMO and at worse a snooze fest. My favorite version of the song is TSRTS version and that is because the solo was edited down. If your ass is doing a 25+ minute drum solo, the only explanation I can give is to allow the rest of the band a quick shag and some blow...or you are tripping balls on some high grade LSD and think you are Tito Puente on meth.

Archived