Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

7 hours ago, Chick-N-Picker said:

I got to say, I didnt think I'd be in the minority with preferring his 68-71 voice but it looks like most on here prefer his 72 onwards voice(s).

I'm with you, I prefer Plant's pre 1973 voice. When I first saw TSRTS at the cinema I was shocked at how different his voice sounded.

16 hours ago, Chick-N-Picker said:

I guess what I'm trying to say about the live BBC sessions is it's the last quality recording where page is close and still retaining his original voice. It's still pretty full and powerful and he can still hit the notes with force behind him. His voice is still closer to RAH than HTWWW.

By 72 and HTWWW the original voice is completely gone and never to be heard again.

Thats what I mean about the BBC sessions. It's almost like he knew his voice was fixing to go (how could he not?) it was showing signs already but it was still there, so he went out and gave one hell of a last performance for the radio (quality recording) before it left him forever.

Walks away; "Put that in the archives boys. That's it."

I have to disagree. I'll take Plant's performances at the Forum and Long Beach Arena in 1972 over the 1971 Paris Theatre easily. In fact, the entire band's performance at the 1972 Forum/Long Beach shows smokes the 1971 Paris Theatre. Whether they were timid and nervous because it was a radio show or Plant had a cold (he does some weird vocal things...like in "Dazed and Confused") or the BBC recorded the show improperly, the 1971 Paris Theatre show always sounded reserved and distant to me. In fact, compared to the wild energy of every other 1971 gig, the Paris Theatre is my least favourite of the year.

5 hours ago, JTM said:

I'm with you, I prefer Plant's pre 1973 voice. When I first saw TSRTS at the cinema I was shocked at how different his voice sounded.

I know it's all preference, but Plant's voice post 73 just sounds monotone and lacking in character. He was having to sing from his stomach instead of his throat, which, to me, gave him a straining approach. I don't know, Plant just wasn't Plant after 73 to me. I'm picky I guess.

Edit: I should clarify, I think Plant sounded fine on the studio stuff after 73. It's just his attempt to sing live where he sounds like he's straining.

So are we in for Coda II?  If Bonzo had lived lets face it, we never would have heard Coda.  If only.  I through Presence are timeless masterpieces.  I often wonder what other magic they could have produced if Sept 25 1980 could be changed.

19 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

So are we in for Coda II?  If Bonzo had lived lets face it, we never would have heard Coda.  If only.  I through Presence are timeless masterpieces.  I often wonder what other magic they could have produced if Sept 25 1980 could be changed.

This is one of my time machine fantasies.  If I could go back in time......

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I wish they’d release a Coda II w/: Swan Song (Instrumental), Fire, Instrumental piano & flamenco piece (featuring JPJ & JP), etc for their 50th. 

R😎

I think LZ were certainly taking a more professional approach in the BBC concert but I love it. I don't know how one could think of Plant as being reserved when he goes absolutely nuts in SIBLY, and does great renditions of Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, and Immigrant Song. His "vocal fills" are intense and passionate. And an amazing D&C for him as far as I'm concerned. Also a great That's The Way. 

Jimmy is certainly reserved from his normal form, but still excellent. Bonzo goes nuts. JPJ does his thing and we can actually hear him. 

2 hours ago, paplbojo said:

I think LZ were certainly taking a more professional approach in the BBC concert but I love it. I don't know how one could think of Plant as being reserved when he goes absolutely nuts in SIBLY, and does great renditions of Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, and Immigrant Song. His "vocal fills" are intense and passionate. And an amazing D&C for him as far as I'm concerned. Also a great That's The Way. 

Jimmy is certainly reserved from his normal form, but still excellent. Bonzo goes nuts. JPJ does his thing and we can actually hear him. 

Agree. I don't think some people get what I'm saying about the BBC live sessions. I'm not saying its their best performance ever, I'm saying that it's the last pro recorded performance where Plant still basically has his original voice and in that way it makes it sort of magical.

He still pretty much has it during the 8/7/71 show but the recording is audience (descent quality but not BBC good). But by the end of 71, beginning of 72 its gone and its certainly changed by HTWWW. Thats what makes the BBC session so cool to me. I'm glad it was recorded when it was because in 6-8 months it would have a sounded whole lot different.

So the comparison of I think their performances in 72 are way better or his voice was better in 72, 73, 74, etc, doesn't make sense to what I'm saying.

The performances may be better and you may like his voice better but its not the same voice. The BBC sort of marks the"unofficial" end of the original era to me and when you listen to it, you can just sort of tell it.

PS yeah his voice on SIBLY is insane.

PSS I reiterate, I really hope they release SIBLY from the RAH. That would be a pro recorded version before the album was even recorded, yet alone released.

If anything, the most reserved I have ever heard Plant is RAH! He does not go nearly as crazy as he had been in the concerts before and after. All in all a very reserved performance. Not to say it isn't anything less than exceptional, which it is. But not much in the way of all out wailing. (maybe w the exception of I Can't Quit You Baby)

Edit: most reserved w his original voice. 

^ straight out love that show. It's my favorite of any pro recorded live material, which is why I'd love to see SIBLY. I remember when I was in my teens watching it and thinking holy freak this is amazing on all levels. I still think it to this day when I watch it. My family thinks Zeppelin is of the devil so it was never good if they caught me listening to or watching them. I'm 24 now by the way.

Edit. Haha Plant reserved with his original voice was still like a freight train in a thunder storm, but thats tame to an earthquake caused by Thors hammer smacking the ground, which would be an unreserved night.

17 minutes ago, Chick-N-Picker said:

^ straight out love that show. It's my favorite of any pro recorded live material, which is why I'd love to see SIBLY. I remember when I was in my teens watching it and thinking holy freak this is amazing on all levels. I still think it to this day when I watch it. My family thinks Zeppelin is of the devil so it was never good if they caught me listening to or watching them. I'm 24 now by the way.

It's the greatest thing ever recorded on film. I'm so hopeful that it will get it's own stand alone Super Deluxe box set treatment it's crazy. I might well be setting myself up for massive disappointment, but man, that release would be the absolute ultimate Led Zeppelin release in my view (aside from some all-encompassing anthology massive box set type release - which I highly doubt will ever happen).

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Mook said:

It's gone very quiet since the Record Store Day announcement hasn't it?

Maybe we'll get some gossip after the 7" is released on 21st April...

Yes it it has.  I'm guessing and just a guess we'll get info around mid May and into June.  Nothing will commence until September, so it will be just a few months prior before we find out.

On 3/9/2018 at 8:37 AM, Stryder1978 said:

This is one of my time machine fantasies.  If I could go back in time......

Agreed...  I think about time travel daily,.  I'm a nurse and think what if I could've intervened!  Somehow.  Oh, well, can always dream.  

12 hours ago, MarthaMyDear6 said:

Agreed...  I think about time travel daily,.  I'm a nurse and think what if I could've intervened!  Somehow.  Oh, well, can always dream.  

Yours is a job I could never do!  Bless you for having the strength to deal with people, their pain and unfortunately their demise.

11 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Yours is a job I could never do!  Bless you for having the strength to deal with people, their pain and unfortunately their demise.

Thanks Stryder!  Such nice words.  I work with infectious disease patients (HIV, MRSA, etc.) and it is definitely a tough job.  Every patient dealing with chronic, life-threatening illness.

At least I have Led Zeppelin music to recover from a long day...also learning guitar, which has been great fun.  :)

REALLY looking forward to more LZ releases.  I'll buy anything...hear me Jimmy Page...ANYTHING!  HAhahaha!

28 minutes ago, MarthaMyDear6 said:

Thanks Stryder!  Such nice words.  I work with infectious disease patients (HIV, MRSA, etc.) and it is definitely a tough job.  Every patient dealing with chronic, life-threatening illness.

At least I have Led Zeppelin music to recover from a long day...also learning guitar, which has been great fun.  :)

REALLY looking forward to more LZ releases.  I'll buy anything...hear me Jimmy Page...ANYTHING!  HAhahaha!

Hat's off to you Martha, my wife works for a rehab hospital (HealthSouth) so she is always in hospitals evaluating patients for rehab after strokes, TBI, accidents, etc. When she comes home at night she is one pissed off lady as part of her job is getting the auth from the insurance companies. It really breaks her heart when she fights like a dog for the patient, gets a doc to doc set up, and insurance says no anyway.

I need me some serious official live Zep release this year and am hoping for either a best of Earls Court as one complete show, or, anything from 68'.

On 09/03/2018 at 2:16 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Didn’t we sort of get that with the companion discs to coda?

On 3/19/2018 at 5:02 PM, MarthaMyDear6 said:

On 3/20/2018 at 5:42 PM, MarthaMyDear6 said:

Thanks Martha, it's a tough job, my wife did a dozen years in the ED (Emergency Dept. for you civilians) and nursing's one tough job!  Now she does Home Health on the palliative team, another tough job but nothing like ED.  She likes to relax with some Zeppelin too!

8 hours ago, babysquid said:

Didn’t we sort of get that with the companion discs to coda?

Yes, sort of, but it was missing content we’d like to see like: 

Fire

Swan Song (Instrumental w/ drums)

Piano & Flamenco (guitar)

All My Love (w/ complete ending)

R😎

Archived