Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

35 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

Before listening to this interview, I was always under the assumption that JPJ was the first person on board with LZ as opposed to the last. According to Page here, both Plant and Bonham were pretty much in place before JPJ 'requested' to be in Jimmy's new band. I never knew that.

Same.

55 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

Before listening to this interview, I was always under the assumption that JPJ was the first person on board with LZ as opposed to the last. According to Page here, both Plant and Bonham were pretty much in place before JPJ 'requested' to be in Jimmy's new band. I never knew that.

I think both early and late is correct in the sense that Jones had made it clear to JP well before the Yardbirds broke up, that were he to start a new band he'd like to be involved. But the point at which he actually joined (early Aug 68) was after Plant had said yes.

Jimmy will be seen playing, but in the studio adding second guitars to live tracks and/or replacing funky notes in

solos. What I find amusing but also sad is that Plant and Jones probably just gave Jimmy the thumb's up, put out

whatever you want. If Plant and Jones WERE involved, probably the re-re-re-companions blah-blah may have been

a lot better.. Page has to have much more studio + live stuff. I find it preposterous that Jimmy would just throw out

real alt versions of songs and experiments with his guitar orchestra's to be used in songs. Well the complete BBC

sessions came out good, Page at least being subtle with his sonic surgery.. Live would be great, but realize what

happend with HTWWW, and live NQ from 73'. I'm not sure fans would love a box for the EC shows, because unless

you make it at most a comp of 3 shows, the multi-track glory would sound very annoying. What ?? I don't remember 

the guitar cutting thru in that section ?? Or, wasn't Plant a lot more ragged in the 5/24 "Woodstock" section of D&C

Well, I admit I'd love to get an official EC box regardless.

38 minutes ago, 76229 said:

I think both early and late is correct in the sense that Jones had made it clear to JP well before the Yardbirds broke up, that were he to start a new band he'd like to be involved. 

So where and when did JPJ "make it clear" to Page that he would like to be in 'his band' before he formed one. Thats news to me. Not that I'm doubting it so much but I've never heard that one before. If its true, then JPJ had one hell of an instinct and I certainly wouldn't put it past him. But....where has this been previously stated in the past? 

15 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Studio material ("leftover Coda tracks") is not likely what this new stuff is going to be. Of course it is possible - I have zero inside info - but all signs point to live stuff. So why even get into the "forgive me if I stifle a yawn" commentary over a possibility that is unlikely at best? The Zep fan community has a bizarre number of folks who seem to love predicting the worst (and then instead of admitting they were wrong when some cool stuff comes out, they just criticize the edits in the cool stuff). And they seem to delight in making blanket claims about Page being a liar, when in fact the stuff he exaggerates or misrepresents, and the stuff he tells the truth about, are pretty easily distinguished if one looks at his past track record.

tmtomh, my "stifle a yawn" was not directed towards Jimmy. It was more taking the piss at the reaction here to Jimmy's announcement. I read this topic for the first time yesterday and was kind of bemused that two pages of posts followed of people arguing about where certain Coda tracks were recorded, as if getting more of that was first and foremost on their minds.

Like most people, I assume it will be live material that will be released...and that is as it should be. Compared to other bands, Led Zeppelin lags in the amount of live archives they have released. That is where the excitement and legend of the band is still fresh and unexplored territory for the general public.

5 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

So where and when did JPJ "make it clear" to Page that he would like to be in 'his band' before he formed one. Thats news to me. Not that I'm doubting it so much but I've never heard that one before. If its true, then JPJ had one hell of an instinct and I certainly wouldn't put it past him. But....where has this been previously stated in the past? 

Wasn't it at the Donovan "Hurdy Gurdy Man" sessions? 

I have no idea, thats why I'm asking. But, if he did, then JPJ had his eyes on the prize from the get go, and that would be impressive, before things really got impressive! :D Man, I love where this board is at now, as opposed to the recent barrel scraping of "what's the best version of this song or that song shite". 

1 hour ago, blindwillie127 said:

I have no idea, thats why I'm asking. But, if he did, then JPJ had his eyes on the prize from the get go, and that would be impressive, before things really got impressive! :D Man, I love where this board is at now, as opposed to the recent barrel scraping of "what's the best version of this song or that song shite". 

heck yeah.

12 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I will not speculate anymore than this post - as I'll just keep annoying y'all.

Earls Court will be released as an official box set.

That will not be the only live release.

I am confident (for no real reason other than I prefer to be optimistic) and can't wait.

Or perhaps Jimmy will finally realize his dream of a chronological live compilation. Kind of an official companion to "The Final Option" or "Through the Years".

40 minutes ago, Strider said:

Or perhaps Jimmy will finally realize his dream of a chronological live compilation. Kind of an official companion to "The Final Option" or "Through the Years".

That's what I thought when I first read his plans for next year.  He's been saying he wanted to do a chronological live set for DECADES!

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I agree that (as I said in another post elsewhere) - that would represent the BEST CASE SCENARIO. Something from each period. Up to and including '80 (with enough trickery from Page....)

29 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I agree that (as I said in another post elsewhere) - that would represent the BEST CASE SCENARIO. Something from each period. Up to and including '80 (with enough trickery from Page....)

"Trampled Under Foot" and "Whole Lotta Love" from Berlin '80 should be mandatory! 

8 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Knebworth Deluxe Box Set Audio Video Compilation including video of Knebworth rehearsals featuring never before heard live version of Carouselambra.  

A boy can dream right?

I would love an official live release of the first Knebworth show. I reckon it’s pretty good and unfairly maligned. Would prefer this to anything from Earls court.

2 hours ago, rm2551 said:

WTF is up with this???? Have you listened to all or at least most of the shows from the 80' tour? There are by far less turds in that bowl than there were in 77'. A good half of all 80' shows were excellent, 25% good, and the rest good to sub-par. 

Listen to the first four shows of the tour (up to and including Rotterdam), Zurich, Mannhiem, and Frankfurt. All seven of those shows kill. Plus, as has been pointed out, TUF & WLL from Berlin are two of the best versions of those songs ever played.

Sorry...sorry everyone, but I am getting sick of the 80' tour constantly getting slammed. This was a pretty damn good tour in general and deserves some respect. Hell, even Vienna was a good, not great but good show.

Anyway....  A chronological live release would be the best IMO. However, a live best of Earls Court would be on my list as well along with a best of LA or NY 77', and a Aug 4th Knebworth with the Communication Breakdown from the 11th. To finish things off a complete Frankfurt 80' with the HB from Rotterdam added for good measure :-)

Being that some are speculating and mentioning what they'd love to see released I'll throw my dream release out there for speculative purposes.....I personally would not prefer a box set of any sort, they're too costly, they tend to be a lot of money to put out there all at once. In addition not that I wouldn't buy it but if it was a best of release such as a "how the west was won" for the 1977 tour or something like a compilation spanning performances from 75-80 I wouldn't like it as much as a single concert release, I feel like they're definitely enjoyable (ESPECIALLY how the west was won) but they don't represent the true feel of the bands live show, such as the Led Zeppelin I companion (Paris show) or Royal Albert Hall (watching that show changed my life when I was 14), or any of the other great bootlegs out there which really capture how amazing the band was live.

Personally I'm hoping for at least something from the 1969-1972 time frame (I'd love an unseen live performance, but of course I'd be extremely happy with just a cd. I feel like the band was at there absolute best performance wise and many of the set lists had a great balance with the acoustic section being included starting in late 1970 I believe). Now what I'll suggest is probably totally unrealistic but I'd definitely like to also see the following to some extent.

It would also be really cool if Jimmy released another show from 1973 (like Trentham) and, or a dvd of one the Earls Court performances. This would be a great representation of the band during the time period of 1973-1975. When they were still playing unbelievably well (consistently) and in 1975 the set lists were further expanded to include some of their great material from houses of the holy and physical graffiti. Earls Court once again also has a good acoustic set within the show.

Then lastly I think they should release one of their best shows on the 1977 tour. This would end up covering basically every era of the bands prime touring days.

I of course would love to see one of the Knebworth shows released on dvd as well but I don't think it's totally inconceivable to see three live releases from each of those time periods released at some point either during 2018 or in the future (Such as one show from the 69-72 time period, a release from 1975 and then one from 1977, like I said It would be really cool if they were single concerts with little editing and even Robert's banter between songs included). I must add that I also understand that sometimes single concert performances aren't totally realistic, especially when old reels get damaged or in regards to 1977 when the bands (mainly Jimmy's) performances started to be more inconsistent not just on a nightly basis but even from song to song, so Jimmy might prefer a compilation if he releases anything from 1977. But I may certainly be wrong about my hopes of a three set release. You never know. Whatever is released I'm sure I'll be extremely excited for it.

7 hours ago, 76229 said:

I think both early and late is correct in the sense that Jones had made it clear to JP well before the Yardbirds broke up, that were he to start a new band he'd like to be involved. But the point at which he actually joined (early Aug 68) was after Plant had said yes.

I see what your saying. I would add to that I think JPJ recalls things quite differently. His recollection, as I recall (LOL) is that JPJ's wife brought Jimmy's ad to his attention and encouraged him to reach out. So JPJ contacted Jimmy on the phone to express interest in becoming involved, and Jimmy told him he (Page) was soon going to be seeing a singer (Plant) near Birmingham. I would also point out Plant and Bonham were initially brought in on a salary as opposed to JPJ.  

3 hours ago, Strider said:

"Trampled Under Foot" and "Whole Lotta Love" from Berlin '80 should be mandatory! 

It's interesting that on the night back at the hotel afterward Jimmy expressed overall disappointment in his performance. Unsure if his disappointment is still such that he would never consider any tracks from that show.

9 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Well, there's this: 

Elsewhere in the interview, Page said that “I hope to be seen to be playing (next year). So I’d better get on with it!”

In other words, it's the time of year to imply that he may be playing in some format "next year" just to keep people hanging on that it is still within the realm of possibility. Of course, with the track record of such statements in previous years, I don't think anyone should be holding their breath...

Anyone still hanging onto hope of that possibility seriously needs their head examined. The guy has been resting on his laurels for nearly 20 years now.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

It's interesting that on the night back at the hotel afterward Jimmy expressed overall disappointment in his performance. Unsure if his disappointment is still such that he would never consider any tracks from that show.

It would be hard to forget that "White Summer" and "Stairway" on the night.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

WTF is up with this???? Have you listened to all or at least most of the shows from the 80' tour? There are by far less turds in that bowl than there were in 77'. A good half of all 80' shows were excellent, 25% good, and the rest good to sub-par. 

Listen to the first four shows of the tour (up to and including Rotterdam), Zurich, Mannhiem, and Frankfurt. All seven of those shows kill. Plus, as has been pointed out, TUF & WLL from Berlin are two of the best versions of those songs ever played.

Sorry...sorry everyone, but I am getting sick of the 80' tour constantly getting slammed. This was a pretty damn good tour in general and deserves some respect. Hell, even Vienna was a good, not great but good show.

Anyway....  A chronological live release would be the best IMO. However, a live best of Earls Court would be on my list as well along with a best of LA or NY 77', and a Aug 4th Knebworth with the Communication Breakdown from the 11th. To finish things off a complete Frankfurt 80' with the HB from Rotterdam added for good measure :-)

I find it difficult to get through most white summers from 1980 and sibly is also interesting at best. Listening to an entire show, for me, 1980 is the most challenging. There are plenty of diamonds no doubt. But 1980 i prefer to pick and choose numbers.

Archived