Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

2 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I find it difficult to get through most white summers from 1980 and sibly is also interesting at best. Listening to an entire show, for me, 1980 is the most challenging. There are plenty of diamonds no doubt. But 1980 i prefer to pick and choose numbers.

Meh, fair enough. Many people are turned off by the concise nature of most songs performed along with a total lack of excess (WMS excepted).

5 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Meh, fair enough. Many people are turned off by the concise nature of most songs performed along with a total lack of excess (WMS excepted).

That's not at all what turns me off. TU from June 29 and 30 I play regularly. And they are anything but short/concise. It's just the set list.

10 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

That's not at all what turns me off. TU from June 29 and 30 I play regularly. And they are anything but short/concise. It's just the set list.

Compared to 35 min No Quarters, 40 min Moby Dick's, and 15 minute noise solos, I would say they are rather concise but yes, the setlist was a fumble. The RS, HD, ALM section was just wrong. All good songs but not when grouped together. I thought HD would have been great as a first encore and Rain Song did not really fit in general. 

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

WTF is up with this???? Have you listened to all or at least most of the shows from the 80' tour? There are by far less turds in that bowl than there were in 77'. A good half of all 80' shows were excellent, 25% good, and the rest good to sub-par. 

Listen to the first four shows of the tour (up to and including Rotterdam), Zurich, Mannhiem, and Frankfurt. All seven of those shows kill. Plus, as has been pointed out, TUF & WLL from Berlin are two of the best versions of those songs ever played.

Sorry...sorry everyone, but I am getting sick of the 80' tour constantly getting slammed. This was a pretty damn good tour in general and deserves some respect. Hell, even Vienna was a good, not great but good show.

Anyway....  A chronological live release would be the best IMO. However, a live best of Earls Court would be on my list as well along with a best of LA or NY 77', and a Aug 4th Knebworth with the Communication Breakdown from the 11th. To finish things off a complete Frankfurt 80' with the HB from Rotterdam added for good measure :-)

Well sorry to disappoint you IpMan, but count me in as one of the 1980 "haters". :lol:

It's not so much the performances themselves as much as the overall vibe I get from that tour. Plant has clearly been through a lot and seems to already have one foot out the door. Page and Bonham have become addicts and this is the only tour where I would describe Bonzo's playing as "basic". He does pretty well for the first few shows, but then it seems like he reverts to playing in a much more laid back style. I don't know if it was his health or he had just gotten bored, but he's not playing at 100%. Plus, just knowing that it was so close to the end gives that tour a rather melancholic vibe for me.

Then there's the setlist. The whole Rain Song/Hot Dog/All My Love sequence is just bizarre to me. Talk about mood whiplash! It's the only setlist off the top of my head where I'm just left scratching my head wondering what they were thinking. 

That's not to say the tour was a complete disaster. In fact, Sue Dounim put together a "best of 1980 tour" compilation in this thread that made me see it in a bit of a different light:

I just can't get over the other elements mentioned above. People talk about the dark vibes surrounding the 77 tour (Page on heroin, John Bindon, etc.), but I get it much more here than anywhere else. Hence why 1980 is my least listened to year.

3 hours ago, AussieOzzieZeppfan said:

I'd love to see both audio&video (blu ray or dvd) of the Australian &last över Europe" tours,

As there's only Knebworth footage of Bonzo playing his SS (stainless steel) kit.

Do you mean only officially released footage of him playing the steel kit?? Because there is the Seattle 77 show. 

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

Well sorry to disappoint you IpMan, but count me in as one of the 1980 "haters". :lol:

It's not so much the performances themselves as much as the overall vibe I get from that tour. Plant has clearly been through a lot and seems to already have one foot out the door. Page and Bonham have become addicts and this is the only tour where I would describe Bonzo's playing as "basic". He does pretty well for the first few shows, but then it seems like he reverts to playing in a much more laid back style. I don't know if it was his health or he had just gotten bored, but he's not playing at 100%. Plus, just knowing that it was so close to the end gives that tour a rather melancholic vibe for me.

Then there's the setlist. The whole Rain Song/Hot Dog/All My Love sequence is just bizarre to me. Talk about mood whiplash! It's the only setlist off the top of my head where I'm just left scratching my head wondering what they were thinking. 

That's not to say the tour was a complete disaster. In fact, Sue Dounim put together a "best of 1980 tour" compilation in this thread that made me see it in a bit of a different light:

I just can't get over the other elements mentioned above. People talk about the dark vibes surrounding the 77 tour (Page on heroin, John Bindon, etc.), but I get it much more here than anywhere else. Hence why 1980 is my least listened to year.

I agree on all points. I feel the same way, especially regarding Bonzo. There is a "routine-ness" to his playing even though he still plays well most of the tour. Also, the sound boards from 80 often show Jimmy in the absolute worst light so I wonder if cleaned up multi tracks would give a different perspective . I don't see how the raw board tapes could be doctored to remove all the clams. I need to go back and listen to some of those audience tapes. The boards are nasty. 

I think a cleaned-up audio compilation of Japan 1971 will be released 'How the East Was Won'? 

I hope there is another DVD release of basically anything. Earl's Court 75, Seattle 77, Bath 70?

There is nothing left in terms of studio album leftovers, that cupboard is definitely bare. Page must have a shitload of other stuff, audio and video, somewhere. Or someone has. 

1 hour ago, morningson said:

I think a cleaned-up audio compilation of Japan 1971 will be released 'How the East Was Won'? 

I hope there is another DVD release of basically anything. Earl's Court 75, Seattle 77, Bath 70?

There is nothing left in terms of studio album leftovers, that cupboard is definitely bare. Page must have a shitload of other stuff, audio and video, somewhere. Or someone has. 

No video. He has said many times. 

1 hour ago, morningson said:

Re: japan 71 esp Osaka: Do you suppose they have been avoiding that because of Mr Bonham's generosity with his crash/ride cymbol?  I like that sound personally, I find it powerful, but it takes up a lot of sonic space.

There is a lot of video that remains in the vault.  The only question is whether Jimmy considers it good enough quality to release.  

Dallas Pop Fest 69

Zep 2 in studio footage

Bath 70 footage

Iceland 70 footage

Montreaux 72 footage

Pittsburgh 73 footage

Earls Court 5/23/75 

Pontiac 77 Video 

knebworth rehearsal video 

its even rumored Zurich 1980 has pro shot video 

sooooo yeah 

2 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

There is a lot of video that remains in the vault.  The only question is whether Jimmy considers it good enough quality to release.  

Dallas Pop Fest 69

Zep 2 in studio footage

Bath 70 footage

Iceland 70 footage

Montreaux 72 footage

Pittsburgh 73 footage

Earls Court 5/23/75 

Pontiac 77 Video 

sooooo yeah 

Zep II Studio Footage... YES PLEASE.

Montreux 72 Footage...  DOUBLE YES PLEASE! Those were supposedly very HOT shows.

1 hour ago, bluecongo said:

Dallas Pop Fest 69

Zep 2 in studio footage

Bath 70 footage

Iceland 70 footage

Montreaux 72 footage

Pittsburgh 73 footage

Earls Court 5/23/75 

Pontiac 77 Video 

sooooo yeah 

Don't forget Central Park '69!

22 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

So where and when did JPJ "make it clear" to Page that he would like to be in 'his band' before he formed one. Thats news to me. Not that I'm doubting it so much but I've never heard that one before. If its true, then JPJ had one hell of an instinct and I certainly wouldn't put it past him. But....where has this been previously stated in the past? 

Several different versions of this, but it might have been JPJ said it at the session in early 1968 for "No Introduction Necessary" by Keith DeGroot, which I've seen written somewhere, probably Mick Wall. (Stephen Davis' thing about it being at the "Hurdy Gurdy Man" sessions can be discounted as it's now been confirmed that Page wasn't there, by JPJ himself). Those sessions are on YouTube if you search for No introduction necessary + jimmy page.

Edit: just read SAJ response, yeah Jones' memory doesn't seem to tally up exactly with the session thing; still, I'm guessing the source for "he told me he wanted in at a session" is JP himself, and Page's memory always seems razor sharp, on most things anyway ;)

3 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Dallas Pop Fest 69

Zep 2 in studio footage

Bath 70 footage

Iceland 70 footage

Montreaux 72 footage

Pittsburgh 73 footage

Earls Court 5/23/75 

Pontiac 77 Video 

sooooo yeah 

Really? This list is rather mouthwatering. Any idea of the quality of the video and audio of the first six? 

I would love to see this list come to fruition.

4 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

No video. He has said many times. 

There quite patently is video out there, five nights at Earl's Court, Bath 1970 and Seattle 1977 to name three. 

I wouldn't believe everything Jimmy says. He said he'd go on the road in 2017 and release new music, for example.

3 minutes ago, morningson said:

Really? This list is rather mouthwatering. Any idea of the quality of the video and audio of the first six? 

I would love to see this list come to fruition.

Just imagine seeing Bonzo laying down the drum track to WLL... Oh my... Not sure what's all included in that LZII studio film, but it looks like it is legit. Getting that would be phenomenal.

4 hours ago, LurksReturnington said:

Re: japan 71 esp Osaka: Do you suppose they have been avoiding that because of Mr Bonham's generosity with his crash/ride cymbol?  I like that sound personally, I find it powerful, but it takes up a lot of sonic space.

Could be, but that could be rectified these days surely.

Dave Abbruzzese of Pearl Jam was a big fan of cymbals. He was a decent drummer but he ruined a lot of Pearl Jam's live sound with his constant bashing of the cymbals. See Pearl Jam unplugged for example. 

3 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

Just imagine seeing Bonzo laying down the drum track to WLL... Oh my... Not sure what's all included in that LZII studio film, but it looks like it is legit. Getting that would be phenomenal.

This is honestly the first time I've heard of its existence. That would be fascinating viewing. 

17 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Anyone still hanging onto hope of that possibility seriously needs their head examined. The guy has been resting on his laurels for nearly 20 years now.

Tired of reading those kind of ever-present comments. Completely lacks of sensibility imho. 

Percy can always declare in the press he's not his brother's keeper,  I think it's quite clear in Jimmy's mind and for everyone lucid enough nothing equals Robert's voice and presence alongside Jimmy's guitar. 

Jimmy wants the best for his music and the best IS Robert Plant. Period. 

So better nothing than anything else. The equation is quite simple. For lack of being blissful. We're not in the eighties or in the nineties anymore. The tribulations can't be the same.

On 12/19/2017 at 7:34 PM, SteveAJones said:

No. Page, Plant and Jones all took family holidays following the end of the tour. Jimmy began moving into Old Mill House in August.

Absolutely false. They all rehearsed at Bray the afternoon of September 24, 1980, concluding around 8 pm.

Source?

This is what I could find so far:

“On Wednesday September 24 John Bonham left his Worcestershire home with Rex King to meet up with the rest of the group for initial rehearsals at Bray Studios. He began drinking quadruple measures of vodka at a stop off in a pub on the way and this binge continued when the group assembled at Bray. Bonzo had been feeling tentative about going back to America – the Bill Graham incident still hung heavy on his mind – and as ever he was nervous about preparing for a tour.

Realizing there would be little in the way of serious rehearsing completed that night, Page and Plant called an early evening halt. They all returned to Page’s Windsor home.” – Dave Lewis Led Zeppelin: The Concert File

Archived