Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

6 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Are u nuts? U telling me knebworth is better than the TSRTS or albert hall?

It's a great set list, I'll give u that, and the 4th has some good points, but it's largely a great band past its peak.

I don't agree fully with your second point, after all, they pretty much hit one hell of a peak just two weeks prior in Copenhagen. The July 24th 1979 is, IMO, in the top ten live performances of their career.

38 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I don't agree fully with your second point, after all, they pretty much hit one hell of a peak just two weeks prior in Copenhagen. The July 24th 1979 is, IMO, in the top ten live performances of their career.

MY gut instinct is to disagree with your opinion, but, there IS something about Copenhagen that stands up with some of their best. Top 10 is really a bit of stretch but an upgrade/new source in any manner from this great show would be in Holy Grail territory for me.

3 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

MY gut instinct is to disagree with your opinion, but, there IS something about Copenhagen that stands up with some of their best. Top 10 is really a bit of stretch but an upgrade/new source in any manner from this great show would be in Holy Grail territory for me.

I really appreciate this forum for discussions like this. There are good points made by knowledgeable listeners on various sides of the case. This thread is a perfect example. My piece is....if 7/24/79 is in the top ten, I would place it somewhere around 8-10, after an assortment of many shows in 69-73, maybe one from 75, and one from 77. I would never consider Knebworth to be representative of the band at their peak. That would have been in the early 70's IMO. They had a good night on 8/4 and 7/24 was a better night but ...seriously? Jimmy's playing in 79 vs 70 or 73? To me there is no comparison.  Bonzo was still the king in terms of sound and feel but his playing was not as exploring and facile in 79 compared to earlier years. Health problems due to addiction took a toll on JP and Bonzo... and Plant seemed on the verge of bailing, plus his peak voice ended in 72.  In no way can I put the late 70's above the peaks musically in earlier years. I listen to RAH and TSRTS several times a month, Knebworth maybe a couple times a year. So all that blah being said....I will be happy with any live show, happier if it's from 77-79 or Earls Court ,  happiest is it's from 69-73 (especially summer 70 or Japan 71) 

5 hours ago, IpMan said:

The second Copenhagen show is one of my all time favourite zep performances.. Page somehow refinds the fluency of 73 for one night and we have the later period set list. However, it's a one-off anomaly in the post 77 period. All the other shows from the 79-80 period have their moments, but are u trying to tell they were as good as 68-73? For various, well documented reasons, the band was in decline.

16 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

The second Copenhagen show is one of my all time favourite zep performances.. Page somehow refinds the fluency of 73 for one night and we have the later period set list. However, it's a one-off anomaly in the post 77 period. All the other shows from the 79-80 period have their moments, but are u trying to tell they were as good as 68-73? For various, well documented reasons, the band was in decline.

I agree 100% with this except several shows from the 80' tour were excellent as well (first four shows, Zurich, Frankfurt, Mannheim). I understand your point though. Zep kinda stopped being Zep after 77' as one of the bands cornerstones was the improv and the journey. 79'-80' the band changed their live approach to fit the times. I think they did a good job (when they were on, about 70% of the time) but again they were no longer the Zep they were known to be. Times changed, Jimmy & Bonzo were addicts, and Robert just wanted out.

For so much going against them it is really a miracle they performed as well as they did in 79'-80' TBH. It still amazes me Robert did not tell Jimmy to sod off after 77', I sure as hell would have under similar circumstance.

On December 21, 2017 at 10:23 AM, bluecongo said:

There is a lot of video that remains in the vault.  The only question is whether Jimmy considers it good enough quality to release.  

Dallas Pop Fest 69

Zep 2 in studio footage

Bath 70 footage

Iceland 70 footage

Montreaux 72 footage

Pittsburgh 73 footage

Earls Court 5/23/75 

Pontiac 77 Video 

knebworth rehearsal video 

its even rumored Zurich 1980 has pro shot video 

sooooo yeah

Since we're throwin' shit out there, how bout this one? I've always felt that those one camera video clips from the L.A. shows in 1975 were shot exceptionally well, from a close vantage point, and were filming thru out two entire shows in evidence by the partial clips we've seen. This leads me to believe that whoever shot this was 'with the band'. Either that, or he's the luckiest guy to ever stand in front of LZ for 2 (or 3 ?) entire shows while filming and get away with it. I think that it is more than possible that a much more complete document of the these shows could be in the vault to be used at some point in time for either a nugget on an official release, or a leak. It would make sense that they would document the last 3 shows of their '75 U.S. tour in a similar fashion as they did in '73 but without the expenditures of a real film crew or multi tracking (a one camera document just for themselves) knowing they were  going to pro shoot and multitrack Earls Court in two months time. Just the fact that much of this footage is really unlike any bootleg video's I've ever seen of LZ for both their proximity, length and quality, really makes it stand out to me, it always has.

I just checked my temperature and its official: I have Led Zeppelin fever :(

Since others are doing this, here's what my dream releases would be. I know most of these have virtually no chance of ever happening, but what the hell, it's Christmas Eve right? :lol:

Soundboards of all six LA 77 shows, remastered and matrixed with the Millard recordings where possible.

A full soundboard of the 9/19/70 evening show.

A How the East Was Won/Best of Japan 1971 live album from the multitracks (preferably without splicing/editing - yeah right!)

A full soundboard of the 6/19/72 Seattle show.

A full soundboard of the 1/26/69 Boston Tea Party show (bonus if it really did last for four hours)

The complete raw, unedited multitracks of the 6/25/72 and 6/27/72 shows.

A "best of Earls Court" release with the audio as good as the fragments that we have on the DVD

A full soundboard of the 7/24/79 show

If any of these releases happen, I'll be more than satisfied. If all of them miraculously happen, I think I'll explode lol!

On 12/20/2017 at 3:20 AM, Mook said:

If the 'surprises' turn out to be mouse pads & coffee mugs . . .

Is there a chance at all that we could get a mouse pad with an image of the coffee mug ? ? Because that way, we could eternally debate whether the mug was half empty, or half full...

On 12/20/2017 at 11:21 AM, blindwillie127 said:

What Page say's between 8:13 and 9:00 could not be more true. The architect and visionary of Led Zeppelin still impresses the hell out of me to this day. 

Page's own statements there call out for the obvious for all Zep Heads.... Immersion releases for each album with individual tracks of bass/keyboards, guitar, vocals, and percussion.

On 12/20/2017 at 3:50 PM, Stryder1978 said:

That's what I thought when I first read his plans for next year.  He's been saying he wanted to do a chronological live set for DECADES!

Bring it on... I'd love to second guess Master Page on which performances are selected..:gotmail:

I know Page has said the studio material is all done, but it would be so great if he could work the same magic on this gem that he worked on Sugar Mama.  Remember how rough the old Sugar Mama bootleg sounded?  It would also be great to get a release of the original Swan  Song.

18 hours ago, The Rover said:

Is there a chance at all that we could get a mouse pad with an image of the coffee mug ? ? Because that way, we could eternally debate whether the mug was half empty, or half full...

Page's own statements there call out for the obvious for all Zep Heads.... Immersion releases for each album with individual tracks of bass/keyboards, guitar, vocals, and percussion.

Bring it on... I'd love to second guess Master Page on which performances are selected..:gotmail:

Immersion Releases could be called, “The Motherload”, to go along with The Mothership” (best of) from a few years ago.  Hopefully, we’ll see live series (individual sets from ‘68-‘80), a video and some of the last unreleased / holdout audio studio tracks (record store day) or later this year for their 50th Anniversary.

R😎🎸👍

3 hours ago, middlezep said:

If they release japan, earls court and copenhagen79 that would make complete sense to me....to make everyone happy and they could hold onto a 77 release for later. 

Good call. The burning question is - Will Page release soundboards? I'm very dubious.

i suspect the Copenhagen warm ups were recorded off the desk, so they could listen to them ahead of knebworth. But they wouldn't have gone to the expense of a multi track recording for a warm up. 

5 hours ago, middlezep said:

Yeah idk...just sayin. I cannot believe how vibrant the shows sound these days...so i am sure they can make these tapes sound great, digitally...and then make them sound real again for cds vinyl and digital

True dat

8 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Good call. The burning question is - Will Page release soundboards? I'm very dubious.

i suspect the Copenhagen warm ups were recorded off the desk, so they could listen to them ahead of knebworth. But they wouldn't have gone to the expense of a multi track recording for a warm up. 

Great question.....and no I don’t think he will release soundboards 

I think we need to put any potential release in perspective here;

* Jimmy won't be releasing a soundboard recording... period. 

* I really don't think any further video footage of real substance is in the vaults and being readied for release... if there was, why not include it on 2003's DVD release?

* As for the long-mooted chronological live album, I would give this a passing chance, but much of what would have been included as already been released on separate releases; DVD, HTWWW, the remixed/remastered TSRTS, etc.

* None of the '77 shows were multi-tracked and thus it's unlikely Jimmy will authorize the release of the pro-shot shows from that tour - Pontiac, Seattle, etc - without the corresponding soundtrack having a professional recording to back it up.

* Japan '71 is another contender, but it's release was nixed back in the day and in 2002, because Jimmy was/is unhappy with the actual recording itself... and besides, on a more personal note, we don't need any more official live recordings from the '69-'73 period.

* Which leads me to the only actual audio live recording of substance left in the vaults that's both worthy of and the likeliest candidate for the upcoming release; Earl's Court!!!  All five nights multi-tracked, a rightly iconic set of shows that would hold commercial cache upon release, Zep at the peak of their imperial phase in all it's pomp and pageantry - PAGEantry??? - before the dark times that ultimately followed those five nights in May '75... and John Davis' now-infamous tweet was a photo of Page onstage in Detroit during the '75 North American tour.

I'm betting it will be Earl's Court... but I fully contend I could be proved flat wrong.

It's gonna be an interesting year...

7 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

YOU WILL BUY YOUR LIMITED EDITION (SECOND PRINTING) ROSS HALFIN PRINTS AND LIKE THEM!!!

Can you say that again in a German accent... it would sound so much more convincing!?  And if you wear Jimmy's stormtrooper outfit whilst you do so, all the better...

2 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

* Japan '71 is another contender, but it's release was nixed back in the day and in 2002, because Jimmy was/is unhappy with the actual recording itself... and besides, on a more personal note, we don't need any more official live recordings from the '69-'73 period.

* Which leads me to the only actual audio live recording of substance left Ine the vaults that's both worthy of and the likeliest candidate for the upcoming release; Earl's Court!!!  All five nights multi-tracked, a rightly iconic set of shows that would hold commercial cache upon release, Zep at the peak of their imperial phase in all it's pomp and pageantry - PAGEantry??? - before the dark times that ultimately followed those five nights in May '75... and John Davis' now-infamous tweet was a photo of Page onstage in Detroit during the '75 North American tour.

I'm betting it will be Earl's Court... but I fully contend I could be proved flat wrong.

It's gonna be an interesting year...

It's true the Japan 1971 multi's  were vetoed as a companion release to HTWWW. Balance issues, surely... Pending Royalty checks,  definetly ...in the end I believe it was just too much work at the time. Remember the primary goal was to release DVD.

HTWWW was  a nice by product.  Compared to the herculian work on the footage restoration, the synching of  multi track recordings  to the film and video reels,  preparing the west coast shows was a piece of cake. Some editing,  splicing together the best tracks from Long Beach and L.A and there you go. In a sense it was almost as easy as the Beeb sessions, since the multi's were pristinely recorded by Eddie Kramer. From it's day of release, the bland artwork of HTWWW   Displayed a huge contrast to the DVD. The BBC sessions or Early Days/latter days could hardly be qualified as pure Zep artwork, but the 3cd design was downright substandard 

The Japan tour had them in such fine shape, Jimmy acknoledges the importance of these performances. What choices he will make is anybody's guess.... But I'm afraid WLL from the last Osaka show is a big No No for copyright reasons, obviously. Jimmy already mentioned he is not going to pay hefty soms of royalties 'for completeness sake'. The first Budokan show on the other hand is vintage 1st album jukebox....so that version gets my votes. How much I love the 929 set, I guess most of that particular medley would end up the on the splicing block.

Bottom line:  I believe   a Japan compilation of sorts,  coupled with a best of Earl's Court and maybe some other goodies will see the light of day in 2018. Most likely in seperate boxed sets.

I'll agree with the Earl's Court & Japan 71 crowd, these are the most likely candidates for release given the information on multitracked material we have so far. All in all, I think Page has covered most of the touring years of Zep with at least one show:

1969 - the bonus disc of the debut (could definitely use some shows with the "ALAIHY setlist" as I call them :P )

1970 - RAH (fantastic representation of early '70 - no complaints at all- although I would love SIBLY, TY and Heartbreaker from this show)

1971 - BBC (this one's a little underwhelming, Japan or NA are ten times more representative)

1972 - HTWWW (no complaints here, these two shows sum up perfectly this phenomenal tour)

1973 - TSRTS & DVD (excellent -and underrated- "reworked" shows, although a release from Europe would be amazing)

1975 - DVD segments (I'd love the full Court treatment, but Jimmy will have to work his ass off in order to have material that suits his standards -as great as they are on the whole, these shows are mighty inconsistent and I think it's one of the cases where Jimmy's perfectionism will work in favor and not against the performances). Frankly, I think releasing anything from the NA tour is pointless since there are so many FANTASTIC soundboards from this tour that they are almost official releases for me

1977 - Another inconsistent year, but the tour's vibes are unforgettable. Sadly, no multitracked shows = no official releases so far. It's a pity since there aren't a lot of great quality (sound-wise) bootlegs from this period

1979 - DVD segments and personally I don't need anything else - the Copenhagen recordings have great quality so no biggie for me (not to mention that Knebworth was a little lackluster)

1980 - Having heard very little material from this year, I'm positively excited at the possibility of an official Tour Over Europe release, although many say the tour wasn't that good

Question: which 1975 NA tour shows were multitracked?

On 12/24/2017 at 7:17 PM, ZepHead315 said:

A full soundboard of the 6/19/72 Seattle show.

THIS!!

Lots of great ideas floating. . Its amazing how the bubbles of thought come to the surface when Jimmy says there's more goodies coming your way kiddies and everyone has an opinion:hurrah: LOL. . Whatever it is I just hope most are satisfied because there probably isn't going to be many more official releases coming after this year (I could be dead wrong on that:)

Archived