Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

12 hours ago, babysquid said:

I notice that recently a lot of boots ( though not all)  previously available on discogs have now been blocked from sale. These include nearly all the Japan tour boots and the 1980 stuff. Could this be an indication of what’s to come?

It seems more than just Zep Japan and 80, most all boots are gone. They cleaned house over there. Same with other artists too, Empress Vally , many labels are blocked entirely. Sucks. 

I'm sorry to break any forum rules but this is very important for real Led Zeppelin fans and to preserve their legacy.

News Flash -  Scientologists Open 2 New Mega-Churchs in a Single Weekend.

Something to keep an eye on. UFO Alien disclosure soon ? Scientology = Aleister Crowley + Jimmy Page + Jack Parsons * JPL Jack Parsons Laboratory = JPL Jet Propulsion Laboratory = NASA up there in SPACE TO THE STARS

On 2/27/2018 at 9:31 PM, Xolo1974 said:

Pretty disappointing for those people that bought the latest editions of the albums with the bonus discs. These tracks really should have been on them. Now for completist purposes they have to shell out more. 

Maybe a limited edition cd w/ digital code will be available as well as another option after record store day for those completists who previously purchased the box sets or deluxe cd versions.

R😎

Zeppelin participating in record store day..? Yeah, not going to happen. 

Also, highly doubtful of that bird from III being the slightest indication of what's to come. 

I've almost ruled out getting anymore studio material, but if we do it will certainly be interesting. It was obvious that Page's #1 rule with the companion discs was to include professional sound quality tracks, which has left an opening for that 2-3 CD compilation album of more interesting material. But that's something for 5 years down the road. We need something exciting for a 50th, meaning 929.

5 hours ago, nick2632 said:

Zeppelin participating in record store day..? Yeah, not going to happen. 

Also, highly doubtful of that bird from III being the slightest indication of what's to come. 

I've almost ruled out getting anymore studio material, but if we do it will certainly be interesting. It was obvious that Page's #1 rule with the companion discs was to include professional sound quality tracks, which has left an opening for that 2-3 CD compilation album of more interesting material. But that's something for 5 years down the road. We need something exciting for a 50th, meaning 929.

Where have you been?

New here.

One thing I would like to see released is the video to Since Ive Been Loving You and Thank You from RAH. How awesome would it be to see a performance of SIBLY before plants voice change? All Jimmy would have to do is put JPJ keyboard parts in from another live show or just get him to record something now. This needs to happen.

It would also be cool if the "rumored" professional shot Bath Festival footage would find its way to public eye.

Second I would love any studio or quality live material from 68-71 to be released. There strongest material, in my opinion, of course. Plants voice in this period is just unmatched. I really wish his voice wouldn't have changed, but I guess it makes those years more special.

Or what if all these years they had the BBC live show as video too and was keeping it hid until now? I know not going to happen but how freaking awesome would that be?

I really consider the BBC live recordings to be the last great recorded show with Plants full powerful voice. (I know there are some bootlegs from 71 wheres he's pretty strong). Just the way he sounds at that show is unbelievable to me. Just listen to Stairway at the end or the note he hits on SIBLY when he goes "baby come on home, BABY". I mean he sounds like 68-70; its still very strong, powerful, not whiny, raspy, bluesy. Yet it is still something a little different. Its almost as if you can tell its nearly the end of that era. He never sounds the same again. Certainly not by 72. Its hard to describe really. Maybe I romanticize things too much.

Does anybody feel this way about his voice/the band from 68 through the first half or so of 71? In particular those strong 71 shows?

I actually think his voice wasn't all that great on the 1971 BBC Paris Theatre concert, it's not one I go back to a great deal to be honest.

Page's guitar sound is a little thin for me too, Black Dog sounds like he forgot to put his distortion on. As usual Bonham & Jones are great though.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I actually think his voice wasn't all that great on the 1971 BBC Paris Theatre concert, it's not one I go back to a great deal to be honest.

Page's guitar sound is a little thin for me too, Black Dog sounds like he forgot to put his distortion on. As usual Bonham & Jones are great though.

Spot on, Mook! Jimmy sounds like the Shadows : twangy, clean... OK with Bonzo they sound like the Heavy Shadows :standup_bass:

23 minutes ago, duckman said:

Spot on, Mook! Jimmy sounds like the Shadows : twangy, clean... OK with Bonzo they sound like the Heavy Shadows :standup_bass:

I wonder if since it was a radio show if they made him turn down a bit? Jimmy's overdrive was usually pretty thick around this time, but if they wouldn't let him crank his amp up, it would've thinned his tone.

29 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I wonder if since it was a radio show if they made him turn down a bit? Jimmy's overdrive was usually pretty thick around this time, but if they wouldn't let him crank his amp up, it would've thinned his tone.

The BBC Paris Theatre (an ex picture house) holds about 400 people so no need for excessive volume..

+2 on the Plant voice post 72'. I never liked his delivery or approach from 68'-72' as he was IMO a male Mariah Carey, going way, way too often for the "signature" dog whistle note or in Plant's case the extremely irritating banshee wail. Plant had a great voice during this period, without a doubt but he was very badly in need of a vocal coach to teach him how to both use his gift properly, and preserve it for decades. Alas, nature stepped in and took care of that by 73'.

I much prefer Plant's voice in 73' and especially 77' to any other period. In 77' IMO his voice was perfect, measured yet extremely powerful. This is why my dream release would be something from the 77' tour, preferably either 5-30, 6-13, or 6-21 (6-22 would be my dream but highly unlikely) as these shows were just amazing, some of the best of their live career and we still get some marathon jams. My other wish is of course a best of Earls Court, a 7-24-79 or best of the 79' shows, and a best of 80'. I have zero desire for anything pre-75' as we already have a shit ton of official releases from that period. The only exception would be the holy grail shows mentioned earlier of that period or anything from 68'.

I guess what I'm trying to say about the live BBC sessions is it's the last quality recording where page is close and still retaining his original voice. It's still pretty full and powerful and he can still hit the notes with force behind him. His voice is still closer to RAH than HTWWW.

By 72 and HTWWW the original voice is completely gone and never to be heard again.

Thats what I mean about the BBC sessions. It's almost like he knew his voice was fixing to go (how could he not?) it was showing signs already but it was still there, so he went out and gave one hell of a last performance for the radio (quality recording) before it left him forever.

Walks away; "Put that in the archives boys. That's it."

11 hours ago, duckman said:

Yeah that’s why I never listen to that show. I think you hit the nail on the head with ‘twangy’. The immigrant song is performed well, but the guitar sound just ain’t right....and that applies all through the show. Thankyou is good though

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

Yeah that’s why I never listen to that show. I think you hit the nail on the head with ‘twangy’. The immigrant song is performed well, but the guitar sound just ain’t right....and that applies all through the show. Thankyou is good though

Well I listen to country music 95% of the time so maybe thats why I've never noticed or cared if it was twangy :)

Edit: With the other 5%, I'd say 4% is Zep.

Archived