Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

3 hours ago, JTM said:

The "different" comment referred to a recording from 1973. I'm worried that Page is talking about Southampton, it would be really disappointing if it was.

Yeah, especially given this line: "It’s another view compared to How The West Was Won or The Song Remains The Same."

That should make it '75 or later imho - but we'll see...

3 hours ago, JTM said:

The "different" comment referred to a recording from 1973. I'm worried that Page is talking about Southampton, it would be really disappointing if it was.

You read my mind mate. He was also reported at the time to have been listening to a 73 version of D and C. I reckon it is Southampton, which would indeed be massively disappointing. 

I’m hoping Empress Valley release the full Osaka 71 show. I can’t see the official releases being that exciting 

6 minutes ago, Mook said:

I can't see him releasing Southampton at all, if Plant has any sort of say in it then there's no way it will get an official release.

I would be seriously shocked if he released Southampton. No amount of musical airbrushing will fix that show and we know how prudent Page is about something sounding perfect. I'd put all my money on a 1969 show. 

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I would be seriously shocked if he released Southampton. No amount of musical airbrushing will fix that show and we know how prudent Page is about something sounding perfect. I'd put all my money on a 1969 show. 

I agree but Page was 1973 specific "something very different". What could be more different than Southampton 1973 probably the smallest gig from that year, we all know the multi track is already out there. Of course he only said he found "something very different that is quite interesting" it doesn't mean it will see the light of day.

8 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

You read my mind mate. He was also reported at the time to have been listening to a 73 version of D and C. I reckon it is Southampton, which would indeed be massively disappointing. 

I’m hoping Empress Valley release the full Osaka 71 show. I can’t see the official releases being that exciting  

This! & please both 928 & 929!!!

7 hours ago, Mook said:

I can't see him releasing Southampton at all, if Plant has any sort of say in it then there's no way it will get an official release.

Ha, this would be the first and only time that I would thank Mr. Plant for preventing a LZ live release.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:04 PM, JAP said:

And that concludes the reissue campaign! 

I think that the way the release of the 3 live reissues could have been handled better. 

We weren’t sure that all three (BBC, HTWWW, TSRTS) of them were to be released and over what time period and so it got mixed up with the potential for 50th year celebration stuff. 

IMHO it would have been better to hype/release the 3 of em at the same time and frame them as a collection before getting into the 50th debate. But I’m sure time didn’t permit 

Now I may have this wrong but is Jimmy not quoted somewhere on this forum saying a while ago that the reissue campaign started with TSRTS? 

• 4 weeks later...

Page's home studio used some of the equipment from Pye Mobile Studios, which had been used to record The Who's 1970 live album Live at Leeds.[7] Because of his home studio, he was able to present a complete arrangement of "The Rain Song", including non-standard guitar tunings and a variety of dynamics, and "Over the Hills and Far Away", featuring multiple guitar parts. Meanwhile, Jones had developed "No Quarter" beyond its earlier arrangement at Headley Grange, slowing the tempo and adding various synthesizers. Once the group were settled in Stargroves, they composed the other songs through jam sessions together. Further recording took place at Olympic Studios in May, and during the band's 1972 North American tour additional recording sessions were conducted at Electric Lady Studios in New York.[4] Some songs which were recorded from these various sessions did not make it onto Houses of the Holy. Some of them were released on later albums. A series of rock 'n' roll covers were recorded at Electric Lady Studios, which remain unreleased.[4]

Hey guys,

The above is from the wiki of HOTH. A release of this for me would be fabulous! Don`t we all love the 50`s rock medley`s dropped in here and there?

Does anyone think there`s the slightest chance of this ever happening?

First post, good to be here ☺️

Wikipedia so not exactly reliable but yes, it would be absolutely amazing to hear those covers if they do exist. The medleys were one of the highlights of their live sets.

9 hours ago, babysquid said:

They’re more than likely just the “sound check” covers that are already in circulation.

Someone posted elsewhere, that Plant said in an NME feature in 1972 they recorded an hour of rock and roll covers in soundcheck at LA. Let's assume the Chicago '73 soundcheck is actually Chicago '73, and that Plant wasn't talking rubbish. Might this be the previously unreleased "different perspective" JP's talking about?

I wouldn't get too excited about any of this. Remember that Jimmy has not really held up the "Zep Gold Standard" the last few

releases, and I'm not sure Robert even cares much about what is and what should never be released. I can't even picture Robert

calling Jimmy to argue about his future Zep release plans. Hope I'm wrong, but Robert has not shown much interest in this realm.

40 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

I wouldn't get too excited about any of this. Remember that Jimmy has not really held up the "Zep Gold Standard" the last few

releases, and I'm not sure Robert even cares much about what is and what should never be released. I can't even picture Robert

calling Jimmy to argue about his future Zep release plans. Hope I'm wrong, but Robert has not shown much interest in this realm.

I think Robert would be staunchly against releasing anything where his vocals aren't up to par, he'll definitely have some say in it.

Robert has always knocked the Rock n Roll songs out of the park though hasn't he? I just can't see why you would keep that material locked down whilst endlessly reissuing reissues. Unless of course it's as an above poster has stated, and the stuff is either already out there in various forms or it simply doesn't exist 

Cheers

18 hours ago, 76229 said:

Someone posted elsewhere, that Plant said in an NME feature in 1972 they recorded an hour of rock and roll covers in soundcheck at LA. Let's assume the Chicago '73 soundcheck is actually Chicago '73, and that Plant wasn't talking rubbish. Might this be the previously unreleased "different perspective" JP's talking about?

Bloody well hope so lol

On 7/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, 76229 said:

5 hours ago, Textbooktam said:

Bloody well hope so lol

Remember, this is Jimmy Page we are talking about. The man who left off "Heartbreak Hotel", "Slow Down", "Louie Louie" from the original HTWWW release and then on the remaster cut out more of the medley.

I don't see Jimmy Led Wallet paying for an entire album of song clearances.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Remember, this is Jimmy Page we are talking about. The man who left off "Heartbreak Hotel", "Slow Down", "Louie Louie" from the original HTWWW release and then on the remaster cut out more of the medley.

This!

3 hours ago, Strider said:

No way they lose out financially from releasing those numbers. We`d all jump on it and they would all make money....... 

Also, i hear what you say about Old Led Wallet but I see no benefit in insulting the man. Lets face it, there`s all sorts ripping everyone off nowadays. At least our Jimmy brought some delight to our ears. And a legacy that survives to this day 50 years on.

Not picking a fight. Just my tuppence worth as a fan

Peace out

On 6/25/2018 at 2:40 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

From the 1977 Trouser Press interview

I have one idea of a chronological live LP which would be two or three albums going back through 
"Communication Breakdown," "Thank You," and all those sorts of numbers. We've got recordings 
starting with the Albert Hall in 1969 and 1970 with two a year from then on.

RAH '69?

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

From the 1977 Trouser Press interview

I have one idea of a chronological live LP which would be two or three albums going back through 
"Communication Breakdown," "Thank You," and all those sorts of numbers. We've got recordings 
starting with the Albert Hall in 1969 and 1970 with two a year from then on.

RAH '69?

How weird is it to think that he was sitting on the 72 multitracks at this time but didn't say a damn word about them. The man can keep some secrets. And yes, they played the RAH in 69 if I'm not mistaken.

9 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

How weird is it to think that he was sitting on the 72 multitracks at this time but didn't say a damn word about them. The man can keep some secrets. And yes, they played the RAH in 69 if I'm not mistaken.

Yes they did play RAH on 6/29/69

Archived