LED ZEPPELIN OFFICIAL ILLUSTRATED BOOK - COMING 2018

sam_webmaster

On 12/10/2018 at 6:03 AM, sam_webmaster said:
John Paul Jones with his copy of the official 50th anniversary book 'Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin' published by ReelArtPress. Available now in book stores worldwide and online. For select stockists, please visit http://bit.ly/LedZepStockists. For your chance to feature on the official book Instagram account @ledzeppelinbook post a photo with your book and tag #ledzeppelinbook.

jpj_fb_lz_by_lz.jpg

Nice picture.

On 12/12/2018 at 1:56 PM, John M said:

Great list!  Here's some more 158-159, 160-161, 165, 203 (!!), 251-52.

I agree, they are all great, too. On p. 161 there's the umbrella JPJ is holding on the new promotion pic for the book :D

• Administrators

Rare group portrait during rehearsals at Manticore Studios in London, January 1977 for the upcoming tour of America. Seen for the first time in the official 50th anniversary book ‘Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin’ published by ReelArtPress. Photo ©Pennie Smith.

lzbylz_12-23-18.jpg

Mine is ordered and on the way.  If anyone has it, can you share your thoughts on it?

Well I now see that this subject was posted in the NEWS area.  I find it strange it was not posted here?  Well, I guess ignore this or post reviews?  I have not seen any real reviews yet, just pics of the Book under the Xmas tree.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:21 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Mine is ordered and on the way.  If anyone has it, can you share your thoughts on it?

Well I now see that this subject was posted in the NEWS area.  I find it strange it was not posted here?  Well, I guess ignore this or post reviews?  I have not seen any real reviews yet, just pics of the Book under the Xmas tree.  

I have the Book....looked at it twice thoroughly, and it now sits amongst my 30 plus other Zep related tomes.  

2 minutes ago, nirvana said:

I have the Book....looked at it twice thoroughly, and it now sits amongst my 30 plus other Zep related tomes.  

Hi.   Yes I have it also.  Love it.  My only disappointment is only one pic from my concert.  May 30 in Landover MD, 1977.  A pic of that Jilopy some guy from Utica NY drove down there somehow?  Piece of shit. 

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Hi.   Yes I have it also.  Love it.  My only disappointment is only one pic from my concert.  May 30 in Landover MD, 1977.  A pic of that Jilopy some guy from Utica NY drove down there somehow?  Piece of shit. 

Rick. ....Did you notice the tag on Bonzo's gong at the Boston Tea Party photograph .....I wonder if that was the price tag still on there ? I cant make out what it says.

Page 69

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/28/2018 at 9:21 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

It's wonderful. I'm glad I have a copy and I sure waited a long time (pre-order in February 2018, receive 8 months later). But...What I would have liked is more context, more stories, and that means words. The back of the book has 16 pages of "annotations" from Jimmy, Robert and John Paul sharing comments about photos in the book, comments recorded while the book was in the works. The book would have been much improved if these quotes were in the body of the book next to the photos. And to be clear, I don't mean a comment for every photo of course...no need for something like "That's us on stage again. My hair is still long." In this age when people take photos of their coffee, I don't know if a picture says a thousand words anymore, so the actual words are still very much needed.

And while 16 pages of comments is somewhat substantial, the first five years of the band's career, up to the release of "Houses", gets half the coverage, so from 1973 to now (admittedly with little to share after 1980) doesn't get as much attention. The 1980 Tour Over Europe passes without comment and six pages of photos. The 1975 Earls Court gigs, admittedly more important in the band's career, gets 8 pages. The 1973 U.S. tour gets 32 pages! I think a little more balance would have been better.

Another improvement would have been if the three survivors had told us more about, for example, recording the songs we all love, or why they chose symbols for the fourth album, or what they loved about performing live and their favorite gigs. Like, how George Harrison's comment about a lack of ballads in the group's catalog inspired"The Rain Song." Or did the band really see a black dog going around Headley Grange and decided it was a good enough name for a song? And, really surprising, there aren't any comments about Bonzo's passing. Maybe that's too personal, but it seems a strange omission.

Edited by pujols05

On 5/3/2019 at 10:58 AM, pujols05 said:

It's wonderful. I'm glad I have a copy and I sure waited a long time (pre-order in February 2018, receive 8 months later). But...What I would have liked is more context, more stories, and that means words. The back of the book has 16 pages of "annotations" from Jimmy, Robert and John Paul sharing comments about photos in the book, comments recorded while the book was in the works. The book would have been much improved if these quotes were in the body of the book next to the photos. And to be clear, I don't mean a comment for every photo of course...no need for something like "That's us on stage again. My hair is still long." In this age when people take photos of their coffee, I don't know if a picture says a thousand words anymore, so the actual words are still very much needed.

And while 16 pages of comments is somewhat substantial, the first five years of the band's career, up to the release of "Houses", gets half the coverage, so from 1973 to now (admittedly with little to share after 1980) doesn't get as much attention. The 1980 Tour Over Europe passes without comment and six pages of photos. The 1975 Earls Court gigs, admittedly more important in the band's career, gets 8 pages. The 1973 U.S. tour gets 32 pages! I think a little more balance would have been better.

Another improvement would have been if the three survivors had told us more about, for example, recording the songs we all love, or why they chose symbols for the fourth album, or what they loved about performing live and their favorite gigs. Like, how George Harrison's comment about a lack of ballads in the group's catalog inspired"The Rain Song." Or did the band really see a black dog going around Headley Grange and decided it was a good enough name for a song? And, really surprising, there aren't any comments about Bonzo's passing. Maybe that's too personal, but it seems a strange omission.

The lack of words on Bonzo's passing does not surprise me. It was even more devastating to the band then Robert's son's death because it meant the end of Led Zeppelin as we knew it.  Bonham was no ordinary drummer.  He was the best that ever played. Sorry Keith Moon, I must put you 2nd but with argument from some. I think it was too difficult for them to put into words.  I still remember the day I found out.  Horrible news.  Like I lost the member of my own family.  My only disappointment in the book, is the only reference to the concert I was at, May 30th 1977 in Landover, MD,  was a picture of that broken down  Jilopy from Utica NY (about 4 hours up the Thruway from me).   

On 5/5/2019 at 8:06 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The lack of words on Bonzo's passing does not surprise me. It was even more devastating to the band then Robert's son's death because it meant the end of Led Zeppelin as we knew it.  Bonham was no ordinary drummer.  He was the best that ever played. Sorry Keith Moon, I must put you 2nd but with argument from some. I think it was too difficult for them to put into words.  I still remember the day I found out.  Horrible news.  Like I lost the member of my own family.  My only disappointment in the book, is the only reference to the concert I was at, May 30th 1977 in Landover, MD,  was a picture of that broken down  Jilopy from Utica NY (about 4 hours up the Thruway from me).   

Yes, I definitely ascribe it to how personal and painful it still is. I hope I didn't imply that they should have done something regardless. 

I was nearly 9 in September of 1980 and didn't know. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin was published one year ago today by ReelArtPress

The first and only official illustrated book produced in collaboration with the members of the band. Celebrating 50 years since their formation, it covers the group’s unparalleled musical career and features photographs of Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham on and offstage, in candid moments and in the recording studio. This definitive 400-page volume includes previously unpublished photos, artwork from the Led Zeppelin archives and contributions from photographers around the world. The book is fully annotated by Jimmy Page, Robert Plant & John Paul Jones.