1980 Tour Over Europe Multi Tracks

blindwillie127

Since two microphones on the kick drum is the tell tale sign of Zeppelin recording to multi track, I thought these pics could be of some interest to us. I have identified the following shows where there are two microphones on the kick drum: Zurich, Frankfurt, Dortmund, Mannaheim, Rotterdam, Hanover, Nuremburg, Brussels, Vienna,  Cologne, Munich and Berlin. In other words...it looks to me like they actually multi tracked their entire 1980 Tour Over Europe. Any thoughts?

dortmund80-u3_0.jpgmannheim_7-3-80-6_0.jpgHannover-1_0.jpgImage result for led zeppelin frankfurt 1980 pictures

I've mentioned it before, but, IMO the key is not the kick mics but the overheads. Big condenser mics, that's how Jimmy rolls when recording. Like in this photo from Earls Court. I think the two mics on the kick in '80 was just for better sound out front, much like they do in the studio, one for the attack the other for the ambient boom. I don't think there are any multis from the '80 tour myself

bonzoearlsct3.jpg

I am with Badge on this. The 80' Europe tour  was more like a long warm up tour rather than a full out tour. This tour was just so the bad could find it's feet so to speak. I would even consider the proposed follow up first leg of the American 80' tour in a similar vein.

I seriously doubt with the European or later American leg, that the band would have multi-tracked any gig. It would have been like multi-tracking what kind of amounted to a glorified jam session.

I am one of the few who like and appreciate the 80' tour, however I never looked at that tour as anything more than the rest of the band trying to convince Robert to stick with Zeppelin. 

Archived