Favorite and Least Favorite Vocalists

Mona

I lik this thread.It's got me thinking about a really basic part of the relationship with music and songs in particular.Rather than the minutiae of ' this moment,this song,that show' type of threads,it's interesting and refreshing to think on this sort of level. So...I'll add-

LIKES-

Elizabeth Fraser

Arthur Lee

Stevie Wonder

Prince

Alison Goldfrapp

Chuck D

Cee-Lo Green

DISLIKES-

90% of the new piano/ acoustic guitar troubadours we seem to be plagued with in England. Such as

Newton Faulkner

Katie Melua

Jose Gonzalez

Jack Johnson

Norah Jones

etc,etc,etc.

So much hate for Bob Dylan! I used to hate Bob Dylan- but then again, I used to hate the taste of beer. I acquired a taste for both of them. Dylan is undeniably an acquired taste, but much like beer it is a taste that is utterly fulfilling once you acquire it. The man is the greatest song writer of our time. Others may sing his songs in sweeter tones, but no one embodies the songs like Dylan does.

I have to agree for myself (although I never acquired the taste for beer). I used to hate Bob Dylan, laughed every time my dad did his impression of him. But a friend of mine had me listen to some of the very earliest stuff, and we also went to see the documentary about him when it was showing at our local "art" film theater, and I really learned to admire the guy, and then his music. My friend, however, has adored him since she first heard him as a teenager, and credits him for her drive to be politically and socially aware.

We even went into DinkyTown (is that right?) when we were in the Minneapolis/St Paul area for a concert a couple of years ago. B)

Most of my likes/dislikes have been covered except:

Frank Sinatra

Louie Armstrong

Patty Andrews

Dislikes

Rob Halford on The Ripper. I loathe that song.

Bjork

Whoever sings Electric Avenue

Ol' Blue Eyes! I completely forgot about that genre of music. I must add more, then.

Frank Sinatra

Rosemary Clooney

Tony Bennett

Linda Eder

And Eddy Grant sings Electric Avenue.

Favorites: In no certain order.

Robert

Janis

Stevie Nicks

Christine McVie (I'm listening to You Make Loving Fun, and I decided she's pretty good.)

Jim Morrison

Grace Slick (Janis could sing her right off the stage though.)

Least Favorites:

David Coverplant. (I CAN NOT stand him.)

Mick Jaggar

Micheal Bolton

Barry Manilow

Jon Bon Jovi. (Now, but he used to be okay. Then he went pop.)

Britney Spears

That's all that comes to mind, but I might have more later.

The first time I heard Eva on the radio, I literally stopped what I was doing and stared at the radio... the song was "Autumn Leaves"... ugh, just beautiful. She died so young too, such a shame. :(

I've heard a lot of people say that. That they heard her somewhere and were just awe-struck. I particularly love Autumn Leaves and her version of Tall Trees In Georgia. Just divine. What a loss.

Another vocalist I forgot to mention who I really love is Hope Sandival from Mazzy Star.

FAV Rock vocalists: (for pitch delivery , arrangement complexity, pitch vairations)

Plant

Freddie Mercury

Ian Gillan

Brian Johnson (no one can scream melodiously at such high pitch)

Rob Hallford

Eddie Vader

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (though not in rock category)

Singer of the band Cinderella

Janis Joplin

Original vocalist of Uriah Heap

Rod Stewart

Steven Tyler

Chris Cornell

Axel Rose

WORST:

Most of the vocalists from post 1996 era!

So much hate for Bob Dylan! I used to hate Bob Dylan- but then again, I used to hate the taste of beer. I acquired a taste for both of them. Dylan is undeniably an acquired taste, but much like beer it is a taste that is utterly fulfilling once you acquire it. The man is the greatest song writer of our time. Others may sing his songs in sweeter tones, but no one embodies the songs like Dylan does.

Yeah, it's hard to rate Dylan. He's no Sinatra, that's for sure, but on the other hand, his voice is perfect for his music. Same with Mick Jagger. He sounds like he sandpapered his vocal cords, but songs like Satisfaction and Paint It Black wouldn't be half as badass if he sounded normal.

Favorite:

Perry Farrell

Robert Plant

Chris Cornell

Jeff Buckley

Natalie Merchant

Geddy Lee

Most hated:

Freddie Mercury

Tom Petty

John Lennon (i like Paul and George though)

David Bowie

Favorite:

Perry Farrell

Robert Plant

Chris Cornell

Jeff Buckley

Natalie Merchant

Geddy Lee

Most hated:

Freddie Mercury

Tom Petty

John Lennon (i like Paul and George though)

David Bowie

I've been meaning to ask...is 'Perry Farrell' a deliberate play on words,as in 'Peripheral'-someone on the periphery,or on the edge, or near the boundaries?

I've noticed you placed him top of your 'likes' list so maybe you know where the name comes from?Happy New Year, by the way.

Favs

Robert Plant

Jim Morrison

Kurt Cobain

Paul Stanley

Gene Simmons

Pete Ham (Badfinger)

Rob Zombie (Mostly White Zombie, not his solo career)

Andrew Stockdale (Wolfmother)

Bruce Dickinson

Hate

Britney Spears

Madonna

Jessica Simpson

Singer of Van Halen

Jon Bon Jovi(most hated :angry: )

I've been meaning to ask...is 'Perry Farrell' a deliberate play on words,as in 'Peripheral'-someone on the periphery,or on the edge, or near the boundaries?

I've noticed you placed him top of your 'likes' list so maybe you know where the name comes from?Happy New Year, by the way.

Yes, it's the exact play on words you mention. Farrell isn't his real last name, of course. Happy new year to you as well.

Yes, it's the exact play on words you mention. Farrell isn't his real last name, of course. Happy new year to you as well.

Thanks, Ghost. Nice to have that sorted out.It's nagged at me for a long time but even supposedly-serious Jane's Addiction fans didn't see it or just didn't know. Cheers!

Archived