Plant 18 Tour

John Herbst

Newbie here but not in the world of Zeppelin.Ok here are my credentials.Saw Plant on the Now and Zen tour when I was 13 and fell in love with the music.Proceeded to see Jimmy on the Outrider tour also.Fate of Nations tour 3 times and than really went for it in 95.Saw Page & Plant 11 Times in between April 6 and Oct 27 and MSG which was a great show.Saw them 10 times on the Clarksdale tour.4 Black Crowes and Jimmy shows.3 Zooma shows with JPJ and since many Plant shows.I have a question for the real big fans here.Plant is playing in NYC on Valentines Day and does anyone know his where abouts when he is in town?I have an 02 poster with Jimmy,JPJ and Jason’s signature on it.I need Robert’s autograph.Thank yew so much for all you’re time.Just lookin for possibly a point in the right direction.Ever Onward...

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly off topic but I talked to someone who ran into him in NYC yesterday  and said he was very cool and actually volunteered for a picture without being asked.  I don't expect the hard core heavy 70's rock fans to understand but the show in NYC  was killer and Seth Lakeman was great. Many have forgotten both Robert and jimmy have been on stage with Fairport Convention. Zep had folk roots too....Loved finally hearing that's the way live but carry fire was my highlight. I know there's plenty on here who call it sleepy music but at least he's out there instead of re re re mastering everything possible.  Love Jimmy but the new music promised.... not gonna happen. Anyway this band was tight. Will we get a newly released Zep live show... hope so but ...50/50 at best is my guess

Hello all, newbie to the forums but happy to be here.

I saw Robert Plant in Chicago on 2/20 at the Riviera Theater.  I'm curious if anyone else has seen him on this tour yet and their opinion.  I must admit, I haven't been following his solo career too closely (the last time I saw him was ages ago when he was touring with Alanna Myles) and so had not experienced his current taste/style; I thought it best to go in with an open mind.  I thought he looked very well with a good voice and his band sounded great.

I must admit though, I felt it lacked something...warmth?  Heart?  I don't know, an indescribable *something*.  Seth Lakeman played a half hour set before Robert came on and I didn't much care for him.  His musical style was too slow for my taste.  A couple of things were toe-tappers but, in general, he didn't create any energy for me.  When Plant and the 6 piece band came on (including Lakeman), they started with New World and set the tone for a seemingly more reflective, mellow experience.  That's the Way was the first LZ entry and was good.  There was one song (don't know the name) that was very interesting with exotic hints throughout that had a nice impact.  The LZ songs were re-worked to fit Plant's vocal range and current style, which is fine and makes sense.

I didn't know what to expect nor did I have any illusions that this was LZ.  I don't mind the rearranging of LZ songs to fit a musical style or ability; in general, it can be a fantastic way of keeping a well known song fresh with new perspective/feeling, to see it through new 'prisms of color' with different aspects of 'light and shade', to paraphrase LZ's credos. What I do mind is when I don't feel the performers' heart and soul.  Did Robert sing well? Yes, he did.  Did the band play well?  Yes, they played with skill, energy and enthusiasm.  Did the crowd cheer?  Of course (including myself, a couple of times),  but it seemed like none of their energy, electricity, etc. travelled through to me.  When they started the opening riff of Bring it on Home/Whole Lotta Love/Santianna/Whole Lotta Love medley as part of the encore, I actually muttered a frustrated 'oh fuck you' because such a rollicking number felt hollow, somehow.  The guitarist was working his ass off, doing guitar tricks and all I could think of was 'stop it, you're not Jimmy Page'.  I look at it this way, LZ was 3 guys playing instruments (not including Robert for this as he is the constant for both), and, as we all know from videos, cds, bootlegs, etc. those three instruments rocked the muthaf*cking house down each and every time (even the ballads).  This grouping is 6 guys and they did not communicate their message to me (Communication Breakdown? Sorry, couldn't resist).  I wanted to like them on their own merits, for doing their own thing, for their own voice, but...it was ok.  Any art form is subjective and you can't please everyone all the time, I understand that but their set didn't move/speak to me but I'm sure it will speak to others.  I'm still glad I went, glad I bought the t-shirt, and yes, would go see him again if I had the opportunity because its still Robert Plant.

Thanks to the forum community here for providing fans with a voice.

55 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

I'm simply suggesting that the something missing is a charismatic band performing better original songs of their own

Ah, I gotcha now. That's what I get for trying to read through the forums after a long day. Thanks.

Spot on there SteveAJones.  Justin Adam's 'dad dancing', having David Baddiel on bass, etc. just doesn't work for me - it just could (can still?) be sooo...much better with others (we know who). I think Robert has chosen the easier path of least resistance ie; surround yourself with competent musicians who are 'yes' men.Then you don't have to deal with egos  of his old compatriots etc. But very bland unfortunately.

Steve - I hate to admit this, but I have to agree with you, which is so tough because I am a huge RP enthusiast - and not a "just play Zeppelin" fan, but a keen follower of his solo career.  I typically invite the uninitiated to his shows, and almost universally people leave blown away by his music and charisma.   But this tour and the Carry Fire album was different.  It felt... *shudder*... a little lazy to me.  A little flat.  And typically time flies at his shows and I never want them to end, but during last night's show in LA I found myself looking at my watch.  

Plant sorta looked as though he was just going through the motions.  And for $800 a ticket, that is a tough pill to swallow.  In LA, Plant seemed a little irritated with the crowd, and accordingly, his energy was low.  That in turn threw a wet blanket on the crowd leaving moments of uncomfortable silences between songs.  And the cycle continued.  Very different than his last show at the larger Greek Theater last tour.   I think he does better in larger, high energy environs.  Hopefully he'll do better at the Arroyo Secca festival.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

By way of example, Babe I'm Gonna Leave you was my favorite Zep song, but Plant has been flogging it on every tour for so long now, it just feels tired. And it shows on Plant's face as he slogs through it (here actually sitting down)!

I would rather hear Keep It Hid and Bones of Saints from the new album.  But look, the poor guy can't win.  Not enough Zeppelin and the crowd rebels, too much and you say "why not just get the band back together!"   I know it is easy for us to criticize!  Sorry Robert!   Carry Fire and we will support you and your amazing music though bright times and slower times!   Not every kick is a goal! 

22 hours ago, zosogrape said:

Steve - I hate to admit this, but I have to agree with you, which is so tough because I am a huge RP enthusiast - and not a "just play Zeppelin" fan, but a keen follower of his solo career.  I typically invite the uninitiated to his shows, and almost universally people leave blown away by his music and charisma.   But this tour and the Carry Fire album was different.  It felt... *shudder*... a little lazy to me.  A little flat.  And typically time flies at his shows and I never want them to end, but during last night's show in LA I found myself looking at my watch.  

Plant sorta looked as though he was just going through the motions.  And for $800 a ticket, that is a tough pill to swallow.  In LA, Plant seemed a little irritated with the crowd, and accordingly, his energy was low.  That in turn threw a wet blanket on the crowd leaving moments of uncomfortable silences between songs.  And the cycle continued.  Very different than his last show at the larger Greek Theater last tour.   I think he does better in larger, high energy environs.  Hopefully he'll do better at the Arroyo Secca festival.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

By way of example, Babe I'm Gonna Leave you was my favorite Zep song, but Plant has been flogging it on every tour for so long now, it just feels tired. And it shows on Plant's face as he slogs through it (here actually sitting down)!

I would rather hear Keep It Hid and Bones of Saints from the new album.  But look, the poor guy can't win.  Not enough Zeppelin and the crowd rebels, too much and you say "why not just get the band back together!"   I know it is easy for us to criticize!  Sorry Robert!   Carry Fire and we will support you and your amazing music though bright times and slower times!   Not every kick is a goal! 

I agree with the last part of your post especially "Not every kick is a goal!" I cannot even begin to imagine what it's like to try to creatively match/exceed such a legacy.

On 24/02/2018 at 10:09 PM, Mark Williams said:

I think Robert has chosen the easier path of least resistance ie; surround yourself with competent musicians who are 'yes' men.Then you don't have to deal with egos  of his old compatriots etc. But very bland unfortunately.

The path of least resistance would be to reform Zeppelin and play your greatest hits in sold-out arenas across the world.

Easy money, easy crowds and constant adulation.

Instead, at the age of 69, he's pushing himself creatively and still taking chances in smaller venues.

And how do you know his band members are "yes" men? Where's the interviews or anecdotes to back that up?

Plant goes out his way to praise his band mates in interviews and stresses the musical diversity that they bring to the table.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:29 AM, ksgemini said:

Slightly off topic but I talked to someone who ran into him in NYC yesterday  and said he was very cool and actually volunteered for a picture without being asked.  I don't expect the hard core heavy 70's rock fans to understand but the show in NYC  was killer and Seth Lakeman was great. Many have forgotten both Robert and jimmy have been on stage with Fairport Convention. Zep had folk roots too....Loved finally hearing that's the way live but carry fire was my highlight. I know there's plenty on here who call it sleepy music but at least he's out there instead of re re re mastering everything possible.  Love Jimmy but the new music promised.... not gonna happen. Anyway this band was tight. Will we get a newly released Zep live show... hope so but ...50/50 at best is my guess

Where did he bump into him? Do you know?

• Administrators

Robert Plant — 2018 Tour Dates

6/8 – Atlanta, GA – Venue TBD w/special guest Elle King
6/10 – Richmond, VA – Virginia Credit Union LIVE! At Richmond Raceway w/special guest Elle King
6/12 – Columbia, MD – Merriweather Post Pavilion w/special guest Sheryl Crow
6/13 – Forest Hills, NY – Forest Hills Stadium w/special guest Sheryl Crow #
6/15 – Toronto, ON – Budweiser Stage w/special guest Sheryl Crow
6/17 – Chicago, IL – Millennium Park Pritzker Pavilion w/special guest Jon Langford
6/19 – Vail, CO – Gerald R. Ford Amphitheater w/special guest Seth Lakeman ###
6/21 – Berkeley, CA – Greek Theatre w/special guest Jim James Solo Acoustic
6/23 – Stateline, NV – Harveys Lake Tahoe Outdoor Arena w/special guest Los Lobos
6/24 – Pasadena, CA – Arroyo Seco Music and Arts Festival
6/26 – Troutdale, OR – Edgefield w/special guest Lucinda Williams
6/27 – Redmond, WA – Marymoor Park Amphitheatre w/special guest Lucinda Williams
6/29 – Vancouver, BC – Vancouver International Jazz Festival

## – w/special guest Seth Lakeman

14 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

The path of least resistance would be to reform Zeppelin and play your greatest hits in sold-out arenas across the world.

Easy money, easy crowds and constant adulation.

Instead, at the age of 69, he's pushing himself creatively and still taking chances in smaller venues.

And how do you know his band members are "yes" men? Where's the interviews or anecdotes to back that up?

Plant goes out his way to praise his band mates in interviews and stresses the musical diversity that they bring to the table.

Well,most would agree that it's far easier to tour with a bunch of nice guys who are going to do their best to continue pleasing their boss ie; avoid 'rocking the boat' ,or challenge the icon boss.Yes,agree creatively his outputs far exceed his old sparring partner Jimmy, but there in lies the rub.It would have been far more interesting & challenging to have taken Jimmy's embryonic ideas and reinvent ' Zeppelin' for the noughties back in 98/99 but that sadly didn't happen.

its all too late now, but most true Zeppelin fans would wish for new material rather than tours,playing the old songs in same old formats.And in any case it needn't have been under the Led Zeppelin brand name anyway. Still,time has now passed so we must continue to admire Robert's energy & determination to press on. 

On 3/3/2018 at 9:32 PM, zosogrape said:

I actually was at this show and I attended one from earlier in this North American tour. I must admit that the LA crowd was definitely strange compared to the crowd from the previous show I had gone to. There was far more enthusiasm within concert goers and a lot more energy than the LA show. I was disappointed in the fact that this show energy wise was not as great as the one I attended prior, and I think plant commenting on this was based on previous shows. Because when I saw him from the show a week/two before... holy smokes do I think he killed it and everyone was dancing and had a great time. So overall I'd say a crowd even though has a huge influence on the individual's experience and the artist's ability to provide a lively show by feeding off the good energy. Though I do agree that it would've been nicer to hear different songs than what he selected from the carry fire album. But hey you really can't win everybody over. 

• 3 weeks later...
Do You Value Independent Arts Journalism & Would You Like To Help Us Produce More? Find Out More

ROBERT PLANT AND THE SENSATIONAL SPACE SHIFTERS LIVE (SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE)

By Benjamin Woods

I  saw Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters on their first tour of Australia in 2013, before Plant had released his first album backed by the group, Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar (2014). That performance at the Sydney Entertainment Centre (sometimes derided as the Empty Space Centre), mostly featured Led Zeppelin tunes, given a twist. It was a great show and it was the gift of a lifetime seeing the great man perform Zep classics such as Black Dog and Rock ’n’ Roll, but last night’s performance was superior.The “Hammer of the Gods” circa 1976 would’ve been perfect for the Ent. Cent but Robert Plant today belongs in the Opera House. He has released two albums with the Shape Shifters and they’ve had time to really gel as an ensemble.

Led Zeppelin touched on Eastern music (most notably on the epic, but somewhat repetitive, Kashmir), but Plant has really embraced it since his work with Jimmy Page in the ’90s on the No Quarter album. His records with the Sensational Space Shifters dip into the string sounds of Morocco, Egypt and the Middle East. (Some of the songs played live with guitars are tuned and played to reverberate like an oud).

Plant is touring Australia in support of his new album Carry Fire. It was placed number 32 in Rolling Stone’s Top 50 albums of 2017, and it is indeed cracking.

Opening track The May Queen sets the tone and while it gently incorporates some Eastern elements, it is a folk rock workout that wouldn’t sound out of place on Led Zeppelin III. Song two, New World is a standout. A mid tempo rocker, it appropriately introduces a theme of the evils of colonialism that is referenced throughout the album.

The album’s masterpiece is the title track Carry Fire. My word, it is good. Sprawling and ethereal, it has one foot in the Kasbah and one foot in a rock ’n’ roll club. It would fit in just nicely in Page and Plant’s No Quarter set. It was a highlight of last night’s performance. It took us out over the misty mountains …Speaking of misty mountains, the audience went crazy when a version of Going to California from the canonical Led Zeppelin IV, was delivered in impeccable style … Oh boy!

RobertPlantyyyyy_SOH_creditPrudenceUpton_092_preview

The early part of the show was dominated by new songs but thereafter the set featured covers aplenty. Of the newer songs, Rainbow and the rocking Turn it Up from the Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar album were highlights. His version of the traditional song Little Maggie that appeared on the Lullaby album, also went down a treat.

What Led Zeppelin tunes were played I hear you ask? Aside from Going to California, the Opera House heard Gallows Pole (endowed with a fiddle flourish that doesn’t appear on the recorded version on Led Zeppelin III), Babe I’m Gonna Leave You, Thank You and, of course, Whole Lotta Love.

Those who wanted to hear more hard rock probably enjoyed the blistering version of an old Bukka White song, Fixin’ to Die. It was probably the security contingents’ least favourite track.

Plant is known for his amusing between song banter. Last night, he complained often about the man caught sleeping through his show at the State Theatre three nights previously. He also told us of being woken up by police searching through his bags when Led Zeppelin were in Sydney in 1972. He went on to say that we “still have a fascist government”. Indeed! Rock ’n’ Roll! Robert Plant still has it in spades!

https://dailyreview.com.au/robert-plant-sensational-space-shifters-live/73147/

19 hours ago, zeppatic said:

Sounds good. I am looking forward to his two shows in Melbourne this coming Sunday & Monday nights. I have tickets in the second row each night. Any one on this Forum going?

Not me,I saw RP and SSS in 2013 at Rod Laver Arena and had the best time ^_^

Enjoy yourself!

I'm attending etc Sunday nights gig at The Palais.It'll be my 2nd time I've heard&seen him live with TSSS, 

I was extremely dissapointed in the 1st/last time I saw him in Melbourne. Imho(& humble) opinion inc encores the show only went for 90 mins,

Felt angry&annoyed especially after forking out&paying a lot of $for front row ticket&parking at the venue.

Archived