CARNEGIE HALL, NY 10-17-69 - Never Before Seen Fan Photos! First use of Black Beauty Les Paul

sam_webmaster

5 hours ago, drowan said:

Here's a close up of Jimmy Page's Black Beauty guitar.  Notice the error in the notes that Page did not tour with this guitar until 1970!  These photos show that the guitar was on tour with Led Zeppelin as of October 1969!  See link:

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/archived-news/2010-news/89-2016-news/1898-jimmy-page-reunited-with-his-gibson-les-paul-black-beauty

Did Jimmy actually get the black beauty back? I wasn't aware of that. Details anyone? 

In regards to lack of light show and effects, I really wish bands would cut the extravagant light shows during concerts these days and get rid of the giant screens as well. I love how Zeppelin shows seemed to have a very ambient lighting, not overly bright and definitely not excessive or extravagant. It gives a much better vibe and adds to the mystique of the performance. Imagine Royal Albert Hall with a modern light show? It just wouldn't be the same. Look at Opeth's concert release from their show at the Royal Albert Hall, good band but their light show is way too excessive, I don't need to be mesmerized by a giant screen and pulsating or constantly changing lights.

For a little more detail on Jimmy Page's allegedly "recovered" Black Beauty Les Paul guitar see the link below from Guitar Player magazine:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/players/jimmy-pages-long-lost-gibson-black-beauty-has-been-found

Also, see the MusicRadar wire story via the link below:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jimmy-page-reunited-with-1960-gibson-black-beauty-les-paul-guitar-637199

Edited by drowan
Added MusicRadar link.

Black Beauty Les Paul guitar has been returned to Jimmy Page according to My Les Paul wire:

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/jimmy-page-black-beauty-returns.361784/#post-7565289

See also ZZounds wire:

https://blog.zzounds.com/2016/03/01/jimmy-page-black-beauty-les-paul-reunited/

See also Guitar World wire:

https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/has-jimmy-pages-long-lost-black-les-paul-been-found

Edited by drowan
Guitar World link added.

On 28/01/2018 at 6:27 AM, drowan said:

Can you believe it - promoters in New York City have organized a March 2018 show at Carnegie Hall featuring notable rock performers playing the favorite songs of Led Zeppelin!  Deja vu with a historic twist!

https://www.songkick.com/festivals/2156789-music-of-led-zeppelin-at-carnegie-hall/id/32351384-the-music-of-led-zeppelin-at-carnegie-hall-2018

Wonder if this is a part of the 50th celebrations, or an independent event? I'm guessing the latter.

9 hours ago, 76229 said:

Wonder if this is a part of the 50th celebrations, or an independent event? I'm guessing the latter.

This March 7, 2018 concert is being organized by Michael Dorf and is the 15th year it has been held.  Each year a different musician or musical group is honored by the event and it is always held at Carnegie Hall.  100% of the proceeds of the tickets go to a foundation that sponsors music education for underprivileged children.  For additional details:

https://www.jambase.com/article/music-of-led-zeppelin-carnegie-hall-new-york-city-march-7

LZ TRIBUTE AT CARNEGIE HALL MARCH 7!!! - Led Zeppelin fans who live in the NY metro area should seriously consider attending a Led Zeppelin tribute fundraiser at Carnegie Hall on March 7, 2018.  The link to the promotional website is below:

https://musicof.org/

and

https://www.carnegiehall.org/calendar/2018/03/07/the-music-of-led-zeppelin-0800pm

Proceeds from the concert will benefit a foundation that funds music lessons for underprivileged children around New York City.  Enjoy a fabulous night of music of Led Zeppelin in Carnegie Hall for a great cause!!! 

11 hours ago, 54Tangerine said:

Thanks drowan.  That was the article that started that rumour and the one I read....so still a mystery.

The original Facebook entry and exchange citing the recovery of Jimmy Page's Black Beauty Les Paul that all the wire stories used as their source is referenced below (click on "about 2 years ago"):

And yes, the real story is effectively "unconfirmed" as no follow up articles quoting Jimmy Page directly about its recovery or pictures of Page with Black Beauty ever surfaced in the news.  So, though the story may be true, it has not been definitively confirmed they way many die hard fans would like it to be.  Perhaps it should be left to Jimmy to set the record straight.  

Edited by drowan
Added a little more context.

New York Metro Led Zeppelin Fans:  Don't miss this opportunity to return 48 years later to Carnegie Hall to celebrate both LZ's 50th Anniversary and a return to their one and only evening of rock history at this celebrated venue in Manhattan!!!  Michael Dorf, in his 15th year hosting this annual tribute to rock and other music legends, has lined up an impressive array of performers to celebrate this big anniversary for Led Zeppelin while raising financial support for a great cause.  All net proceeds from the evening goes to music education for underprivileged youth.  What better way to encourage and support the next generation of yearning talent around us!!  See some of the evening's bill below:

The initial line-up features a house band led by Tony Shanahan of the Patti Smith Band and including Sarah Tomek (Steven Tyler), with performances by Bettye LaVette, The Zombies, Living Colour, The London Souls, J Mascis, Orianthi and Richie Sambora, O.A.R., Erika Wennerstrom of Heartless Bastards and Brian Wheat of Tesla. 

For more information on how you can support this music education foundation fundraiser, see the link below:

The Music of Led Zeppelin

Edited by drowan
Enhancements.

Incredible. It's amazing how 50 years later undiscovered stuff keeps popping up. That's the only thing that gives me a sliver of hope that there may be more live tapes waiting to be discovered.

I love the spartan stage appearance. No frou-frou frillery. Just raw power.

From these Carnegie Hall photos I see at least two or three other people in the audience taking photos, including one guy in the front row. Where are these photos? Come on people...dig thru your closets and attics.

On 1/26/2018 at 8:44 AM, duckman said:

+1 wonderful.

Amazed though of the modest interior of the legendary Carnegie Hall. When Chris Welch described the show I imagined something like the Albert Hall , or the Concertgebouw Amsterdam.

You aren't getting a complete picture of Carnegie Hall from these photos, which only focus on a small part of the stage. It's grand enough, trust me.

On 1/26/2018 at 12:05 PM, drowan said:

These photos were taken by my best friend, Gerald Birdsall, when we were both 15 years old.  We got these pair of tickets to the 8:30 pm concert 10th row just two days before the concert.  As you may know, the Led Zeppelin band members missed their flight to the US the day before the concert and managed to arrive at Carnegie Hall just a few hours before the concert.  That may help to explain why there was so little stage equipment for this concert.  The crowd went wild during the concert and the Carnegie Hall management were compelled to stop the concert several times so they could urge the fans to step down off the mahogany arms of the chairs in this formal concert hall.  As LZ webmaster, Sam Rapallo, has mentioned, there was no security managing the crowd that night - only traditional ushers.  So, because our seats were right off the isle, we could go right down to the edge of the stage to take a few of these photos.  The camera that was used was a Nikon F with high speed B&W Tri-X film.  We used this high speed film so no flash would be required.  Gerald and I developed the negatives ourselves.  The negatives were misplaced for 45 years.  They were found in 2014 when Robert Plant was touring the US with his new album show.  We saw him put on a fantastic concert at the Capitol Theater (Port Chester, NY) on September 24, 2014.  Ironically, the Capitol Theater concert hall was established in the fall of 1969 by Howard Stein, the same individual who produced the concert at Carnegie Hall on October 17, 1969.  Gerald and I sent copies of these 1969 photos from Carnegie Hall back stage to Robert Plant the night of the 2014 concert, but we were not sure they got to him.  Now they can be enjoyed more widely.  

GREAT STORY! Thank god that box wasn't thrown away. Thank you sharing these photos and your experience. You are so lucky to have seen them in their early days...and with the Black Beauty!!! Love that guitar...such a nasty tone. Did they play "C'mon Everybody"?

Edited by Strider

On 1/27/2018 at 9:43 PM, drowan said:

Here's what Carnegie Hall looks like on a formal night:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_Hall#/media/File:Carnegie-hall-isaac-stern.jpg

Though Carnegie Hall is not quite at the scale of Albert Hall, this New York venue has a grand scale and impressive look to it - see the link above and pictures below!  The hall has very high ceilings with numerous balconies climbing the side and rear walls.  Picture that night with the crowd standing on the arms of the chairs, roaring approval from both the floor and the four balconies above...Plant whipping the crowd into a frenzy with his raw energy and soaring, relentless singing... Jimmy Page executing riff after riff and then pulling out his bow for an eerie surprise!!  And Bonham was amazing  - with his forceful energy and driving intensity!  Jones too kept pace with those signature pulsating base lines.  The scene was electric!  You could sense everyone during this scorching, melodic frenzy thinking to themselves - can you believe what we just heard?  Wow!!!!

image.jpeg.03e1df684de140ff763f88269e4065bf.jpegimage.jpeg.bd80037d51a6befe7a9eedd74a2123b3.jpegimage.jpeg.b62b1c611e63ad26290992d1b8e52a6d.jpegimage.jpeg.d29b49b5c4d6b1fdc034d2c3c95e2a25.jpeg

Edited by drowan

Setlist included: Good Times Bad Times (intro), Communication Breakdown, I Can't Quit You Baby, Heartbreaker, Dazed and Confused, White Summer / Black Mountainside, Moby Dick, What Is and What Should Never Be, How Many More Times, Bring It On Home, Summertime Blues. 
Edited by drowan

On 2/6/2018 at 1:18 AM, drowan said:

Though Carnegie Hall is not quite at the scale of Albert Hall, this New York venue has a grand scale and impressive look to it - see the link above and pictures below!  The hall has very high ceilings with numerous balconies climbing the side and rear walls.  Picture that night with the crowd standing on the arms of the chairs, roaring approval from both the floor and the four balconies above...Plant whipping the crowd into a frenzy with his raw energy and soaring, relentless singing... Jimmy Page executing riff after riff and then pulling out his bow for an eerie surprise!!  And Bonham was amazing  - with his forceful energy and driving intensity!  Jones too kept pace with those signature pulsating base lines.  The scene was electric!  You could sense everyone during this scorching, melodic frenzy thinking to themselves - can you believe what we just heard?  Wow!!!!

image.jpeg.03e1df684de140ff763f88269e4065bf.jpegimage.jpeg.bd80037d51a6befe7a9eedd74a2123b3.jpegimage.jpeg.b62b1c611e63ad26290992d1b8e52a6d.jpegimage.jpeg.d29b49b5c4d6b1fdc034d2c3c95e2a25.jpeg

For those making comparisons of Carnegie Hall with that of Royal Albert Hall as a venue, here are a few shots of Royal Albert Hall:

Related imageRelated image

For a great description of the energy of a Led Zeppelin concert, read the comments of Germaine Greer after watching the Royal Albert Hall Concert on January 9, 1970 (2 months and 23 days following the Carnegie Hall concert):

https://classicrockreview.wordpress.com/category/germain-greer-the-night-led-zeppelin-blew-my-mind/

Bravo for capturing in words the incredible energy of the band at that time in their early history!   Chris Welch wrote a great review piece on Led Zeppelin's 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall concert in the October 25, 1969 issue of Melody Maker.  It's a great read for true fans of LZ.  DCR

Edited by drowan
More detail.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:18 AM, anniemouse said:

How cool are those photographs. Thank you for sharing.

Your response to these photos has been fantastic.  Love the comments and welcome more!!

Edited by drowan

On 1/26/2018 at 5:00 PM, porgie66 said:

Incredible! Thank you so much for sharing these. This was supposed to be a legendary performance by Bonham of Moby Dick. Any recollection of his playing on the drum solo? He was supposed to have been extraordinary that night .  I thought I read somewhere that Eddie Kramer was at this show. 

Another fan in the audience that night commented:  "Page swinging the bow, and Bonham's bare handed playing stand out."  I myself remember him mid-solo ditching the sticks and taking on the tom-toms with his bare hands in sweeping fashion methodically moving back and forth across the drum set with increasing intensity.  We were all in awe of the raw energy and sustained intensity of his solo. 

Edited by drowan