CARNEGIE HALL, NY 10-17-69 - Never Before Seen Fan Photos! First use of Black Beauty Les Paul

sam_webmaster

This promotional piece was posted less than two months prior to Led Zeppelin's 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall concert in NYC:

NEWS LED ZEPPELIN

August 25th, 1969: Led Zeppelin complete new album, announce release date

"Led Zeppelin II" due out October 22.

August 25th, 1969: Led Zeppelin have announced a new album. Led Zeppelin II will be released on October 22 on Atlantic Records. The album was written and recorded at various locations while on tour across the UK and North America. Guitarist Jimmy Page is credited with producing the album.

• 2 weeks later...

"Thank You" drowan for all the great informations about this nearly 50 years ago concert @ Carnegie Hall - NYC.

I have read everything now.

Nice greetings from Bavaria, Germany.

P.S.: I hope also the tape come out soon from this double show.

Edited by Kunke1

Kunke1:  Glad you enjoyed all of these postings!  This website listing is probably the most extensive collection of information associated with this (one and only) October 17, 1969 Carnegie Hall two-show evening concert played by Led Zeppelin.  I will likely plan an extra special posting to this website for Led Zeppelin fans in a few weeks when the concert has its official 50th Anniversary on October 17, 2019!! 

image.png.cfb2ddb0a97d9836a073605d90c247ca.png

Edited by drowan

The enduring and beautiful Carnegie Hall in NYC, site of Led Zeppelin's searing 10/17/69 concert...

image.png.697298def93ab151ac27a55f3629487a.png

Contrast the new building with its attached residential tower with the former original building...

image.png.4ef39e3478a1e005dad767b1bb948498.png

Edited by drowan

On 6/24/2019 at 10:39 AM, drowan said:

Here's a little more color on the LZ concert at the Schaefer Music Festival roughly 3 months prior to the 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall concert.

image.png.ec3c53c3376fff73965ebbdc0fa04377.png

image.png.ca6f3dc597f84da19b2588c63d71b4c9.png

those Schaeffer concerts were so good - great seats inside, or the huge rocks outside and plenty of great shows. 1st time seeing Aerosmith live w/ Ted Nugent /Stranglehold as the opener was a fantastic show. Had tix to Bad Co. but had to start a new job that night loading soda trucks, just my luck, Jimmy Page played a few numbers w/ Bad Co.

Thanks for the reminder.

On 10/11/2019 at 9:14 AM, bishlap said:

those Schaeffer concerts were so good - great seats inside, or the huge rocks outside and plenty of great shows. 1st time seeing Aerosmith live w/ Ted Nugent /Stranglehold as the opener was a fantastic show. Had tix to Bad Co. but had to start a new job that night loading soda trucks, just my luck, Jimmy Page played a few numbers w/ Bad Co.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bishlap:  Here is the promotion for the Schaefer Music Festival featuring the upcoming Led Zeppelin concert.  Seats were $1.00 or $1.50.  What a deal!!!  Regards, D. Rowan

image.png.45da1b0e89c484ce9d41f4a40035d132.png

image.png.2204afd5b76baeb16735c0621950be56.png

Edited by drowan

1 hour ago, drowan said:

Bishlap:  Here is the promotion for the Schaefer Music Festival featuring the upcoming Led Zeppelin concert.  Seats were $1.00 or $1.50.  What a deal!!!  Regards, D. Rowan

image.png.45da1b0e89c484ce9d41f4a40035d132.png

image.png.2204afd5b76baeb16735c0621950be56.png

worked in a deli before my real job (night loader) and remember putting up these Schaeffer ads... Schaeffer was BY FAR our best seller in the 2 delicatessen's I worked - the boss' son was a Rock fan and our deli would get the ads in advance of the shows being advertised and would run to get us tix while I worked... his father/the owner, never knew!! The bands we saw on the cheap, damn, Hot Tuna, James Gang, Todd Rundgren/Utopia, Dave Mason..... Feelin alright!!

THANKS, drowan

Edited by bishlap

Today is the 50th Anniversary of the Led Zeppelin Carnegie Hall concert in New York City!!!!!!!

October 17, 1969 - October 17, 2019

image.png.eb1b61d2ddc2dbfd9eec2493c70411d9.png

1969-10-17-carnegie-hall--08.jpg

image.thumb.png.bd8242feb122dbbadc2c4909e14b718f.png

The Led Zeppelin Forum invites any fans who attended this concert (or just simply love their music) to leave your comments here about this momentous occasion!!!  We'd love to hear from you.  

1969-10-25--Carnegie-Hall-review---c-welch---mmaker.jpg

image.png.5d6f6e16c06a293cd5d606ebce670cf0.png

Edited by drowan

50 Years ago today (on 10/22/69), Led Zeppelin released "Led Zeppelin II, to rave reviews and fan delight!!  This release took place only five days after their widely acclaimed Carnegie Hall concert in NYC on 10/17/69.  According to "Cash Box", advanced orders of the album exceeded $1,000,000 before it was even released!  

image.png.d658ef869fa7273371ae59e05388d067.png

image.png.381cf005d8d0306f5398fd8f090f36a4.png

Edited by drowan

I went with two friends from Long Branch (NJ). We had seen LZ at Convention Hall in Asbury Park just a couple months before, while everybody we knew was trying to get to Woodstock. Through a long and weird series of events I got separated from my friends, walked right up the the stage and placed a brown-bagged bottle of wine in front of Jimmy Page as he was sitting down playing White Summer; Robert Plant saw me from the wings, waved me over to a side door. I assumed Carnegie Hall Security was on the way, but as it turned out Robert was just a friendly guy, said "Come on back." I watched the rest of the first show from the wings, went back to the dressing with them all after. It was a remarkable show, as had been the Asbury Park show, the greatest band on earth playing as if they intended to prove it to every last soul in the audience. 

Rabbit:  What a great story.  Sounds like we were both at the early concert together.  Your story about being invited by Robert Plant to watch to concert from the stage (showing your view below) and then go back stage afterwards is an amazing tale!!  Thanks for sharing it with all of us!  Rock on, DRowan

image.png.56448c330e6ed2899df9772eb114c99a.png

Led Zeppelin fans pay tribute to the 50th Anniversary of the key LZ events of 1969 including their concert at Carnegie Hall on October 17, 1969 to open their Fourth Tour of North America that year.  Five days later the band releases Led Zeppelin II to great fanfare!!!

image.thumb.png.aede0734830d711b0292ab8298b77ed9.png

Source: http://www.hennemusic.com/2019/10/led-zeppelin-launch-second-album-on.html

Here is another great "eye witness" account of the October 17, 1969  Led Zeppelin concert at Carnegie Hall:

“I was at the Carnegie Hall early show and had a seat above the stage. My main memory of the visual was looking down at the stage and watching Bonham solo with his bare hands - no sticks. And Page wearing his guitar so low it almost scraped the floor. The thing with a lot of the pictures I've seen of shows from back then is that they're taken with flash which kills whatever ambiance there was on stage. At any rate, I love seeing even those photos. I doubt the show was recorded, but I'd love it if it was, though with my luck they only recorded the late show.”

Source: “MoonPool”, a Steve Hoffman Forum Resident  comment, dated February 3, 2018

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jimmy-page-says-previously-unheard-led-zeppelin-music-will-be-released-for-bands-50th-anniversary.720137/page-35

6 minutes ago, drowan said:

Here is another great "eye witness" account of the October 17, 1969  Led Zeppelin concert at Carnegie Hall:

“I was at the Carnegie Hall early show and had a seat above the stage. My main memory of the visual was looking down at the stage and watching Bonham solo with his bare hands - no sticks. And Page wearing his guitar so low it almost scraped the floor. The thing with a lot of the pictures I've seen of shows from back then is that they're taken with flash which kills whatever ambiance there was on stage. At any rate, I love seeing even those photos. I doubt the show was recorded, but I'd love it if it was, though with my luck they only recorded the late show.”

Source: “MoonPool”, a Steve Hoffman Forum Resident  comment, dated February 3, 2018

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/jimmy-page-says-previously-unheard-led-zeppelin-music-will-be-released-for-bands-50th-anniversary.720137/page-35

6 minutes ago, drowan said:

Well you certainly made a nice link to some nice guitars there, but you probably just wanted to add a picture of Page playing guitar, although this guys memory must be a bit hazy, as far as I know, Page didn't have his guitar particulary low in 1969 at all.

3 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

Well you certainly made a nice link to some nice guitars there, but you probably just wanted to add a picture of Page playing guitar, although this guys memory must be a bit hazy, as far as I know, Page didn't have his guitar particulary low in 1969 at all.

SamoKodela:  I would have to agree with you about MoonPool's comments about Page's supposed low-slung guitar at the concert.  I was there too, sitting very close in the 10th row on the floor, and have no recollection of his low-slung guitar posture.  It might possibly have looked like that if one were sitting way up in the balcony.  That is certainly not the case in the photos we took of Jimmy Page during the concert that evening.  Good point and appreciate your input.  DRowan

4 hours ago, drowan said:

SamoKodela:  I would have to agree with you about MoonPool's comments about Page's supposed low-slung guitar at the concert.  I was there too, sitting very close in the 10th row on the floor, and have no recollection of his low-slung guitar posture.  It might possibly have looked like that if one were sitting way up in the balcony.  That is certainly not the case in the photos we took of Jimmy Page during the concert that evening.  Good point and appreciate your input.  DRowan

Thanks. It's a comon fact basicaly. And I wasn't really following the topic, not that interested in this one, I just checked the last post and responded, so I didn't see the photos at first.

Led Zeppelin played "Dazed and Confused" from their first album at Carnegie Hall on October 17, 1969.  Here is a version of this song that the band did at a concert earlier that year in March, 1969.

August 25th, 1969: Led Zeppelin have announced a new album. Led Zeppelin II will be released on October 22 on Atlantic Records. The album was written and recorded at various locations while on tour across the UK and North America. Guitarist Jimmy Page is credited with producing the album.

Watch Led Zeppelin perform "Dazed and Confused", written by Jake Holmes for his 1967 album "The Above Ground Sound" of Jake Holmes.

Source:  Gas Light Records

August 25th, 1969: Led Zeppelin completes new album, announces release date

image.png.1b69cd37d47a29da667a5345b3f587ce.png

The events we write about at Gaslight Records happened in some form or another 50 years ago to the day. Roll along with us and imagine you are back in 1969.

The group played an incredible 145 shows in 1969, and by the end of the year they had released the blockbuster “Led Zeppelin II” (featuring their breakthrough single “Whole Lotta Love”) and were headlining venues like London’s Royal Albert Hall, New York’s Carnegie Hall, the Boston Garden and Detroit’s Olympia Stadium.

From there, Zeppelin went on to become one of the most popular rock bands in history, dominating the 1970s, influencing countless thousands of musicians and, according to unofficial estimates, selling more than 200 million albums worldwide.

Source:  Variety (Online), Jem Aswad, August 13, 2018

Link:  https://variety.com/2018/music/news/led-zeppelin-first-rehearsal-50-year-ago-anniversary-1202903005/

Five days after the 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall Concert, Led Zeppelin released Led Zeppelin II as the band's reputation, album sales and fan base rocketed upwards.  It was a very heady time as evidenced by the music critic commentary and photo below:

"Released in October ’69, Led Zeppelin II put the group at the top of the charts. With U.S. advance orders of half a million, it was the biggest-selling album in America that year, deposing the Beatles’ Abbey Road from number one and keeping the Rolling Stones’ Let It Bleed from the top spot. All told, it spent 138 weeks on the charts and climbed to number one in February 1970."

image.thumb.png.29b0b04bd72917f76deda096c1be61d4.png

Led Zeppelin hold Gold record awards for 'Led Zeppelin' and 'Led Zeppelin II,' which was certified Gold in November 1969.

In the months leading up to the Led Zeppelin Carnegie Hall concert on October 17, 1969, the members of the band were hard at work with Eddie Kramer laying down tracks and mixing the sound for LZ II as described by Chris Walter below:

Chris Walter/WireImage/Getty Images

LZ II was a marvelous record and so different from the first album,” Kramer says. “With the mixing process, it was an organic thing. We instinctively went for something different, and Jimmy did some really interesting stuff with the sound.”

Eddie Kramer, the U.S. engineer on the sessions, had worked with Jimi Hendrix on Electric Ladyland the previous year. “I got a phone call from [Zeppelin’s] office in New York,” he recalls. “‘The boys are in town, and they want to know if you want to help put this record together.’” Kramer recalls “scrounging” recording time for them in any studio he could, and even recording some of Page’s guitar solos in hallways. 

“They were all over the place,” Kramer says of the sessions. “Some things were done in London, some were on the road. They had this huge trunk of tapes [from the various sessions].” Kramer notes that, once the tracks were assembled, he and Page completed and mixed them in just two days, on August 29 and 30, at A&R Studios in New York “on the most primitive console you could imagine.”

image.png.eb1801c6a1240bf9b44919ff41fe0f1e.png