CARNEGIE HALL, NY 10-17-69 - Never Before Seen Fan Photos! First use of Black Beauty Les Paul

sam_webmaster

A great quote to put LZ's one and only evening at Carnegie Hall on 10/17/69 in perspective:

“Playing for the first time somewhere is always special,” Copenhagen-based cellist Soo-Kyung Hong told me. “Playing the first time in Carnegie Hall — there is such an expectation to fulfill, and you think of the people who have played it before.”

Or you might think of Dizzy Gillespie and Charlie Parker (1947), Edith Piaf (1957), the Rolling Stones (1964), Buck Owens (1966), Led Zeppelin (1969) or Stevie Ray Vaughan (1984).

Source:  https://www.carnegiehall.org/About/History/Performance-History-Search?q=&dex=prod_PHS&event=13035&pf=Led Zeppelin_

Edited by drowan

• 2 weeks later...

Within thirty months of the 10/17/69 Led Zeppelin concert, Carnegie Hall was thriving on the attendance and cash flow generated by its rock concert offerings.  Not only was the Led Zeppelin concert, promoted by Howard Stein, transformational for Led Zeppelin, but it also marked a sea-change in attitude by Carnegie's management and ushered in a golden era of rock performances at the Hall! 

image.png.fbccbf82520108680581f08e93de2411.png

Readable text from the above N.Y. Times article is excerpted below:

You might call it “the greening of Carnegie Hall”— 50 rock concerts during the past [1971-1972] season, ushers dressed in red‐and‐white “Carnegie Hall” T‐shirts, the sweet smell of marijuana drifting over the red velvet seats.

Started With Beatles

Actually, the sight of a foot‐stomping, cheering, hand clapping crowd boogying to the sounds of an amplified rock band in Carnegie Hall is not new. The hall's first certified rock concert occurred in February, 1964, when the Beatles chose Carnegie for their first New York appearance.

In the years since, many rock musicians have gone out of their way to play the hall, for reasons both personal and musical. They feel, as do rock promoters like Nat Weiss, that it's “the ideal, show case,” especially for softer solo performers such as James Taylor, Cat Stevens and Carole King.

“It's a status engagement for a rock act,” said Howard Stein, the producer. “Remember, musicians from the time they take piano or guitar lessons dream of playing Carnegie Hall.”

Mr. Stein also believes that the “ambiance, the atmosphere” draws many older concertgoers who shy away from “freakier” places like the Academy of Music.

Source:  New York Times, Grace Lichtenstein, June 27, 1972, p 34.

Edited by drowan

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a chance to get a better sense of what the 10/17/69 Led Zeppelin concert at Carnegie hall was like in terms of live performance impact... 

Led Zeppelin – Soars On Buffalo 1969 (Graf Zeppelin LZSC-1030A/B)

relayer67 November 28, 2020 Graf Zeppelin label, Led Zeppelin Leave a comment 773 Views

ledzep-69soars-on-buffalo1-1-300x300.jpg

Soars On Buffalo 1969 (Graf Zeppelin LZSC-1030A/B)

Kleinhans Music Hall, Buffalo, New York, USA – October 30, 1969

Disc 1 (53:49) Introduction, Good Times Bad Times / Communication Breakdown, I Can’t Quit You Baby, Heartbreaker, Dazed And Confused, White Summer incl. Black Mountain Side, What Is And What Should Never Be

Disc 2 (68:56) MC, Moby Dick, How Many More Times. Bonus Trax: Memorial Hall, Kansas City, Kansas, USA – November 5, 1969: Good Times Bad Times / Communication Breakdown, I Can’t Quit You Baby, Heartbreaker, Dazed And Confused, How Many More Times

Led Zeppelin’s fourth American tour began on October 17, 1969 with two concerts at the famed Carnegie Hall in New York City. The 15 date tour would see Zeppelin returning to the larger markets like New York City, Boston, Seattle, Toronto, and Detroit before ending proper in San Francisco. The tour also featured the band hitting smaller markets, Springfield, MA, Syracuse, NY, Kitchener, Ontario as well as Buffalo, NY and Kansas City. The tour would coincide with the release of the second album, Led Zeppelin II on October 22 and the band would feature two songs from the record in their sets. The tour was also notable for the inclusion of a few bars of Good Times Bad Times as a prelude to Communication Breakdown, an extremely dynamic and heavy way to open the concerts.

Edited by drowan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Carnegie Hall's prestige was used by Peter Grant to help lure LZ back to N. America for a 4th tour in '69....

image.png.0c50d785cc73e98ed43ed9f66769fa33.png

But as the journalists of the contemporary rock music scene in 1969 noted, which was amplified later by

rock music historians and LZ biographers, the October 17 gig at Carnegie Hall helped propel LZ to the "front of

the pack" by 1970 (only three months later)!!! Their energy, intensity and impact on fans was now undeniable!!

Edited by drowan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Anti Music:  Day in Rock

(hennemusic) Led Zeppelin prepare to release their second album as 1969 continues on the band's 50th anniversary video series. Following the completion of a North American summer tour, the group wrap up sessions for the impending fall arrival of the follow-up to their smash self-titled debut.

Led Zeppelin return to the concert stage in early October for a two-week series of European dates before launching a North American trek with a rare, two-show performance at New York's prestigious Carnegie Hall.

During the fall run, the band releases "Led Zeppelin II" on October 22, 1969. Produced by Jimmy Page, the project - which features instant classics like "Whole Lotta Love", "Ramble On" and "Heartbreaker" - was recorded over several months at a variety of studios in Europe and North America as the group toured heavily to introduce themselves to music fans around the world. Watch the video and read more here.

hennemusic is an official news provider for antiMusic.com.
Copyright hennemusic - Excerpted here with permission.

Source:  https://www.antimusic.com/news/19/October/24Led_Zeppelin_II_Featured_In_Anniversary_Video_Series.shtml

Edited by drowan

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2018 at 3:54 PM, drowan said:

Yes, fingers are crossed that one will surface - hopefully sooner than later!  At least for now there are a few more visual images to add to the mix.

Well the day has arrived!!!  We now have a fan recording of the 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall LZ early show thanks to June72, Glyn and Dogs of Doom!!  With the help and support of our LZ Forum Webmaster, Sam Rapallo, awareness of and effectively easy access to the recording is now available to all Led Zeppelin fans (as of January 2022 - 52 years since the concert).  So, a big thank you to Sam!  What a huge archive addition to celebrate!!!  The legacy continues...and perhaps even another recording may surface?  At this rate, you never know!!  See the recording LZ Forum link below:

Below:  Jimmy Page applies a bow to his lead guitar during an amazing live rendition of "Dazed and Confused" (captured on the 2022 newly released fan recording) at the 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall early show.

1969-10-17-carnegie-hall--04.jpg

Edited by drowan

• 2 weeks later...

"The [first Led Zeppelin] album also featured “Dazed and Confused”, which became a centrepiece for the group during live performances, and was included in the set until 1975. “Dazed and Confused” featured Jimmy Page playing guitar with a violin bow, an idea that supposedly came from leading classical violinist David McCallum, who Page had met playing music sessions."

1969-10-17-carnegie-hall--04.jpg

Source of Caption Quote:  https://www.thisdayinmusic.com/classic-albums/led-zeppelin-led-zeppelin-1/

Edited by drowan

Stephen Ross ( posted 9 months  prior to February 2022):Copy Link of a Comment

"I saw Led in 1969 at Carnegie Hall, NYC. I sat in the first booth on the right looking down at Jimmy P one of the greatest shows I have ever witnessed. That was a mesmerizing experience to say the least."

Source of Quote: One of six comments posted about great Led Zeppelin concerts at the following site:  https://www.thisdayinmusic.com/classic-albums/led-zeppelin-led-zeppelin-1/

Edited by drowan

As mentioned in a previous posting (above), David McCallum, Sr. is reported to have been the source of Jimmy Page's inspiration for using a violin bow on his guitar in "Dazed and Confused".

image.jpeg.ee946137f85e306ac6ced2cde65d7b44.jpeg

David McCallum, Sr. (left in above photo)

Actor

Description
David Fotheringham McCallum was the Scottish leader of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, the London Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Scottish National Orchestra. He was also the father of actor David McCallum and of author Iain McCallum. Wikipedia
Born: March 26, 1897, Kilsyth, United Kingdom
Died: March 21, 1972, Arundel, United Kingdom
Edited by drowan

Jimmy Page explains how he started using a violin bow on his guitar:

[Led Zeppelin guitar icon Jimmy Page was asked by the American Academy of Achievement on how he started using a bow as (transcribed by UG):]

"This is an interesting story. Because the string sections didn't really like [rock musicians] - I mean, they've spent years mastering their bowing techniques and there were these people - drummers and bass players and guitarists... I think they thought they just made a bit of a noise rather than music as they saw music.

"And one of the violinists came to me one day and he said, 'Have you ever considered playing a guitar with a bow?' And I said, 'Well, I don't think it'll work.' Because the strings are uniformed whereas a violin is arched.

"And he said 'Well here's my bow. Would you like to try?' And I said 'Absolutely.' So I tried it and i could see there was massive potential.

"After that I went and bought my own bow. But this fellow was the father of an actor David McCallum. 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' - that's it!"

Source:  https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/jimmy_page_how_i_ended_up_playing_guitar_with_a_violin_bow.html

Edited by drowan

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2022 at 6:52 PM, drowan said:

Here are some of the Graf Zeppelin "liner notes" to the recent release of the 10/17/69 Carnegie Hall bootleg recording distributed in January 2022 by Dogs of Doom referring to Led Zeppelin's concert rendition of "Dazed and Confused":

Once Jimmy gets tuned again, Dazed And Confused begins proper, the audience give his Wah effects pedal a massive ovation, they know what is coming, Jimmy’s Tour De Force. The song is well played, much has been said about his guitar tone in this recording, this song is one such example. There is just the right amount of distortion present that gives it a nasty yet ominous sound, late 1969 versions of Dazed are excellent, very focused with Page changing the mood at will. This version starts off rather standard, it does not end that way, Jimmy uses the light and shade concept to create a tense feel, your waiting for him to explode yet he keeps it toned back, the tension remains until the end. 

Source:  By relayer67on February 27, 2022

• 2 weeks later...

It took just nine months after the release of Led Zeppelin's first album in December 1968 on Atlantic for the band to earn it's invitation to play at Carnegie Hall on October 17, 1969:

image.png.8f33f797b8251d083ce1c5abd623940b.png

image.png.2bdd37869af399337f42058f63b0f306.png

Edited by drowan

June Harris

image.png.7b45f70e1a05910e2a7e7ec76cb0ba93.png

June Harris (pictured in the summer of 1971) moved to New York in 1964 to report on pop for the Mirror Group. She subsequently wrote for NME, Disc and Music Echo, Hit Parader and many other publications. June is the widow of legendary Premier Talent agency founder Frank Barsalona.

Edited by drowan

What [rock/blues] artists have sold out Carnegie Hall?

Additional Highlights

• Chuck Berry (June 17, 1965*)
  • The Byrds (September 26, 1969*)
  • Led Zeppelin (October 17, 1969)
  • Steppenwolf (December 6, 1969)
  • James Taylor (June 12, 1970*)
  • Jethro Tull (November 4, 1970*)
  • Neil Young (December 4, 1970*)
  • The Moody Blues (December 14, 1970)

Source:  https://www.sidmartinbio.org/what-famous-concert-hall-is-located-adjacent-to-the-russian-tea-room/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Old school jazz and lacerated hands: the secrets of Led Zeppelin's Moby Dick

By Chris Welch ( Classic Rock ) published June 11, 2020

As Zeppelin conquered the world it wasn’t long before they relinquished small clubs and were playing events like the 1969 Bath Festival and at London’s Lyceum Ballroom. 

It was an even bigger thrill when I was invited to see Led Zeppelin play a rare concert at Carnegie Hall in New York on October 17, 1969. I found myself standing on the very stage where Gene Krupa had played Sing, Sing, Sing back in 1938. At Zeppelin’s afternoon sound check John looked out at the rows of empty plush seats in the famous hall and said "This is it lads. Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich have all played here. So I’d better be good tonight!" 

John made good his promise. Once the audience of screaming and whooping New York kids had piled into the building and the show got underway, John seemed to pulsate with energy. As he launched into a 30-minute whirlwind I stood in the wings, next to fellow visitor, Screaming Lord Sutch. His Lordship was speechless as John flew around the drums with astounding dexterity and brute strength. He delivered a high-speed single stroke snare roll that was surely his Carnegie Hall tribute to Buddy Rich. 

• 1 month later...