9/29/71 Immigrant Song sb release

drpete

21 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

We shall see about Osaka.  Perhaps, the teasers and leaks are already out there for a possible release.  I don't know anything more than anyone else here.  Just give it time and see what they decide to release for the 50th!

I think it points to one of two scenarios; 1) EV are crapping themselves that their soundboards will be rendered worthless by a HTEWW release; or: 2) It is a teaser fed to them by JP for a HTEWW release. Either way, we win. 

In actual fact, knowing Jimmys habit of cutting stuff out of gigs on official releases,  the SBD probably will maintain its value to us diehards. 

But as Duckman states above, it will probably be on only 90-120 minutes. 

So now that this is the "real" soundboard does this confirm the theory that the old source (the one with Bonham way up in the mix) is some kind of (most likely low quality) copy of the multitrack? That's a popular theory on another forum

Oh this is so epic.  Looks like we can't believe any rumor or story being told.  I knew that story was a total crock.  I've had my own CEO and HR Director lie to my face while they swindled Hundreds of Billions of dollars from their customers....  I just knew the story of Peter Grant was a total crock .

Wow, this is like a dream come true!  I'm sure both Osaka soundboards will be released in their entirety shortly, and agree with others' assessment that EV are either trying to beat Jimmy to the punch or are releasing them on his behalf.

Also, this (and the 9/28/71 soundboard) sound way better than your average soundboard--listen carefully to the cymbals...when have you ever heard cymbals that clear/static-free on a soundboard?  On the 6/27/72 Long Beach soundboard, that's where.  Proof that the multitracks of these two Osaka shows exist?  I sure hope so!

Either way though, even if these Osaka shows are only released in full in this sound quality, it would still be THE definitive live Zeppelin release (barring 9/19/70 Evening or 6/19/72 coming out in similar quality), and would put any live release by any other artist to shame IMO.

17 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Wow, this is like a dream come true!  I'm sure both Osaka soundboards will be released in their entirety shortly, and agree with others' assessment that EV are either trying to beat Jimmy to the punch or are releasing them on his behalf.

Also, this (and the 9/28/71 soundboard) sound way better than your average soundboard--listen carefully to the cymbals...when have you ever heard cymbals that clear/static-free on a soundboard?  On the 6/27/72 Long Beach soundboard, that's where.  Proof that the multitracks of these two Osaka shows exist?  I sure hope so!

Either way though, even if these Osaka shows are only released in full in this sound quality, it would still be THE definitive live Zeppelin release (barring 9/19/70 Evening or 6/19/72 coming out in similar quality), and would put any live release by any other artist to shame IMO.

Yes! 100% agreed. I hope these SBDs are complete.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Seems like SOP seems like they will release something just before Page does. The bootleg studio stuff was rereleased shortly before the reissues. Hope it comes out soon!! 

I'm with you as this may be what JP releases but not complete with his editing out of some of the covers in the WLL medley as the residual fees can be quite high for some of these.  I can imagine "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Louie, Louie" must be quite high in their fees as two of the most successful songs ever and asking for exorbitant fees.  I will be on the lookout for these here and elsewhere as I'm sure it will be soon.

On 12-2-2018 at 5:45 AM, blooze said:

So now that this is the "real" soundboard does this confirm the theory that the old source (the one with Bonham way up in the mix) is some kind of (most likely low quality) copy of the multitrack? That's a popular theory on another forum

Yes it is a dub from the multitrack. The stereo separation is a dead giveaway. No 'stage' recording could capture this kind of detail. And yes it  was rumored to be wiped after their return to the UK. But it was reviewed in 2003 as a companion  release for DVD/HTWWW. And it's back on the desk... But Jimmy told the Dutch magazine 'Gitarist' that he is not willing to fork out royalty's for all this covers in the medley . 

On 15.2.2018 at 5:59 AM, SuperDave said:

I'm with you as this may be what JP releases but not complete with his editing out of some of the covers in the WLL medley as the residual fees can be quite high for some of these.  I can imagine "Heartbreak Hotel" and "Louie, Louie" must be quite high in their fees as two of the most successful songs ever and asking for exorbitant fees.

JPs moaning on royalties is plainly ridiculous, he is an old miser. These fees for some cover-snippets in the WLL medley would do him no harm. The Black Crowes has released tons of live material, each concert contains at least three COMPLETE high class covers (Stones, The Band, Neil Young etc) and they can live with the fees. Just an old miser............

5 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

JPs moaning on royalties is plainly ridiculous, he is an old miser. These fees for some cover-snippets in the WLL medley would do him no harm. The Black Crowes has released tons of live material, each concert contains at least three COMPLETE high class covers (Stones, The Band, Neil Young etc) and they can live with the fees. Just an old miser............

I still don't understand this. If the fees mean they (Led Zep estate) makes a smaller - even MUCH smaller profit, but still a profit, I will never understand it from an artistic stand point. BIG DEAL if profit is minimal. The product released is SO MUCH better and COMPLETE. Sounds a bit like a penny counting record label might be in the mix here??? (I don't know, pure speculation)

If it means there is a real risk of actual financial loss - fair enough!

I'd really love some actual context and facts and figures around what the "fees" actually translates to, and how they work. ie, are they - a song covered during a medley gets a % of the gross? Or do they get a certain payment up front even if only 2 units are sold? How does this work - and why the reluctance to include them?????

I just don't get those decisions. And my thinking is just that I don't understand, but there is a legit reason for it.

Can someone enlighten me?

This is probably a really stupid question, but I had someone tell me on another forum that copyright law in the US doesn't place a high emphasis on cover song royalties. In fact, he told me:

"In the US, cover song royalties are paid out at a fixed "mechanical" rate of about 9 cents per sale of a song, whether it's a digital download or a physical release. You don't even need permission from the original artist."

Is this at all true? I'm by no means an expert on copyright law, so please forgive my ignorance here.

2 hours ago, drpete said:

a torrent link to the song is up at Tradersden

Just checked it out. It sounds like a work in progress if it's going to be an official release. Levels aren't quite there, especially the cymbals, which are overloaded on the old " soundboard" are too low. The guitar sounds a bit dry, not much ambience.  There are similarities to the quality of sound of BBC '71 though. I always loved the guitar solo on this night , with the cry-baby at the end. Plant's voice isn't bad but it's not great on this night. He's straining and I wonder if this wouldn't make official muster because of that. 

Not so sure about the whole cover's thing being an issues as both TSRTS WLL & HTWWW WLL both have covers galore, especially HTWWW.

My take is Jimmy has always had these Japan tapes and likely has many, many more of either good soundboards or multi-tracked. However, the reason he never released them was due to either sub-par sound on certain instruments, whole sections missing, or sound problems with the recordings themselves. However, we now live at a point in time where technology has progressed to where most of these issues (barring missing segments) can be cleaned up and made to sound as if a mobile recording unit was used when it was not.

Computer algorithms are amazing and the recent advance in intuitive technology will make all the difference.

I hear a little squeak by Plant on the 2bd wail but I think I his voice is fine.   I think he’s doing that vibrato effect by shaking the mic back and forth.  He does the same thing during the RAH film during I Cant Quit You  

Regarding missing tracks...I’ve never seen it mention about the theramin not working for most of the WLL segment during the Southampton 1973 concert.  I don’t think it’s a faulty or bad mixdown.  I wonder if it failed at the show?    

Archived