How about an acoustic reunion?

I was watching videos of John Paul Jones playing mandolin with the Dave Rawlings Machine and Robert singing with Patti Griffin and thought, "Okay, so Robert can't sing loud and hard like he did in 1970. But how about an acoustic reunion? I would be there!" The Earl's Court acoustic set was the best part of the DVD, in my opinion.

The only pitfall I can imagine is the audience being rowdy and restless. They would have to play arenas and acoustic music doesn't travel so well in there. But whatever, it would be a compromise that could work for everyone.

Zeppelin aren't Simon and Garfunkel.

It's almost that scenario in reverse.

When S&G reformed to play Central Park, FartyUncle wanted it to be just them and an acoustic guitar, but Simon wanted all his session dudes in on the act.

Regarding Zep, I wouldn't mind an acoustic interlude, but not a whole show.

They're Hammer of the Gods, not Val Doonican.

Actually, considering page and plants, wonderful one and yah la, it would be most likely acoustic if page and plant ever played again......add john paul jones and it would most likely need volume and drums.  Unless they bring him in as a sideman mandolin player, or acoustic guitar....then it could be page, plant, jones unplugged. 

3 hours ago, Tadpole in a Jar said:

I was watching videos of John Paul Jones playing mandolin with the Dave Rawlings Machine and Robert singing with Patti Griffin and thought, "Okay, so Robert can't sing loud and hard like he did in 1970. But how about an acoustic reunion? I would be there!" The Earl's Court acoustic set was the best part of the DVD, in my opinion.

The only pitfall I can imagine is the audience being rowdy and restless. They would have to play arenas and acoustic music doesn't travel so well in there. But whatever, it would be a compromise that could work for everyone.

I think you make a reasonable observation - and I'm guessing that this also is fairly close to the type of scenario Plant suggested or would agree to for a reunion. And also the scenario Page and Jones probably rejected. I do think it would be cool, though.

3 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Zeppelin aren't Simon and Garfunkel.

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Unledded was 24 years ago.

The whole thing was 37 years ago.

They have an album called Led Zeppelin III everyone should check into. Almost the entire second side is acoustic. ^_^

I think Page would be willing to busk on sidewalks if Robert wanted to do it, just to experience playing with his baby again.

They played acoustically at pretty much every concert after III with Jones and they didn't have to go electric. You mean if you heard you could see the three of them and Jason (you don't have to slam drums to play them; he could adjust), if you heard it would be acoustic guitars and mandolins, you wouldn't go?

56 minutes ago, Tadpole in a Jar said:

The whole thing was 37 years ago.

They have an album called Led Zeppelin III everyone should check into. Almost the entire second side is acoustic. ^_^

I think Page would be willing to busk on sidewalks if Robert wanted to do it, just to experience playing with his baby again.

They played acoustically at pretty much every concert after III with Jones and they didn't have to go electric. You mean if you heard you could see the three of them and Jason (you don't have to slam drums to play them; he could adjust), if you heard it would be acoustic guitars and mandolins, you wouldn't go?

Your talking about one side of an album, not a concert.

How many all-acoustic concerts did Zep play?

And how many acoustic songs did they play at the O2, their only official full-set reunion?

As Page said Zep is all about light and shade, and to restrict a reunion gig to Val Doonican renditions of Immigrant Song is just barmy and will never happen.

If you want to hear acoustic bastardisations of Zep songs go check out Plant and the Sensational Wallbangers.

Although it'll never happen, lets just say for kicks Page Plant and JPJ reunited to fit an acoustic set in some sound studio with a small intimate audience.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Black Mountainside

Friends

Tangerine

Thats the Way

Going to California

Battle of Evermore

Rain Song

Black Country Woman

They could do a nice little 30-45 minute set.  I'd be happy.

It'll never happen.

44 minutes ago, bluecongo said:

Although it'll never happen, lets just say for kicks Page Plant and JPJ reunited to fit an acoustic set in some sound studio with a small intimate audience.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Black Mountainside

Friends

Tangerine

Thats the Way

Going to California

Battle of Evermore

Rain Song

Black Country Woman

It'll never happen.

Agreed, but don't forget "No Quarter" on your set list.  Loved the 12 string acoustic version on "UnLedded" and with Jones on keyboard, I think it would be magical!

Going on RPs comments about acoustic material. I think an acoustic approach is  the most likely of all the unlikely scenarios. Suspect it’s also the most likely scenario where something new might occur 

IMHO acoustic doesn’t have to mean without power or mean running through all the zeppelin songs in a row, straight bat, that have acoustic guitars in them.  It might just mean low key, no cavernous ice rinks. 

There’s a lot of possibilities. These guys are artists. 

This has always been one of my favorite ideas as their acoustic songs are really a major part of what sets them apart from all other heavier bands (regardless of sub-genre of rock or metal), as well as their contemporaries in folk (because they don't have the aspect of a heavier side). Plus it would be a lot easier for them to do, it's more relaxed, they could play smaller venues like Robert likes and it would take less practice if they just did it straight acoustic, unlike unledded. And it still leaves room for a lot of improvisation and creativity. Unfortunately it seems that Jimmy doesn't really want to do this, or at least what Robert's vision of this would entail.

A poster above stated that it would essentially be lame if they did something like the Immigrant song acoustic, and I agree and I know what you're saying about the light and shade (but essentially that pertains to all songs, he just means the swaying of emotions through vibration, climax; I would say "that's the way" has that element very distinctly without being heavy, as well as gallows pole) but I think when people say an acoustic set they don't mean doing acoustic renditions of immigrant song or heartbreaker, more so songs like Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, That's the Way, Bron Y-Aur Stomp, Battle of Evermore, Gallows Pole, their folk influenced songs.

I actually thought it would've been perfect if they did an acoustic section in the 02 reunion show. If I was to be critical of one thing it would be that they didn't sit down for a short acoustic section during the show.

Since plant is now a prima-donna and wont do anything with Zep, how about the other 2 getting together with Jason and just doing a little instrumental playing in front of a live audience. They can do Bron-yr-aur, Black Mountainside, Moby Dick/Bonzos Montreux, 10 Ribs and All, St Tristams Sword,  La La, Jennings Farm Blues, Swan Song,  etc., as well as a long long medley of the riffs from worded Zeppelin songs (Nobodys Fault, Heartbreaker, 10 Years gone, Out on the Tiles, Tea for One, Achilles, etc). I'd bet even without plant there the event would be fantastic. Of course, the naysayers would be griping that "it isnt Zeppelin" (Duh....No Kidding?) but I'd still take that over NOTHING, which is what we will get as Page waits...and waits....and waits...for plant to say he is interested. Heck, invite the singer from Greta Van Fleet to sing along on a few songs. Seriously, plant isnt coming around, these guys are getting old. Its time to do SOMETHING without plant.

6 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Black Mountainside

Friends

Tangerine

Thats the Way

Going to California

Battle of Evermore

Rain Song

Black Country Woman

It'll never happen.

You have left out Bron-Y-Aur Stomp and Bron-Y-Aur. Please turn in your fan card. (That's a joke.)

"Boogie with Stu" could also figure in there. "Ten Years Gone" would work that way. I think Jones and Plant are both passing through Nashville a lot lately, I'd be thrilled to see the two of them just do a few songs together, maybe sit in at each other's shows.. That's something we've never seen.

I don't want anyone to think I'm giving a Bronx cheer or popping their balloon,  because who
hasn't thought of a way for Plant, Page and Jones to collaborate together,  without it going
against Plant's wishes and turning into full-scale Zeppelin beast mode! 

Let's say there was an overwhelming demand for an unplugged (acoustic) gig AND Robert
agreed to this.  One important factor prevents that from getting off the ground.  The guitar
player.  
:tomato:  

I don't buy for one second that Jimmy is capable of playing a guitar at a level where he'd be  
satisfied with fans listening.   Does he wish he could?  Yes of course,   but something  
physically has put that to a dead stop.  There is a difference with he can't and he won't.  I say
he can't.   After what happened in Japan ( S A J had a thread explaining)  that was more than
enough proof his public playing days were finished.    

It's going on 11 years since the 02 show.  We know Page was disgruntled with Plant not
wanting to take it on the road,  however no way would that continue to prevent Page from
playing (other than a few times) I don't buy that.   If Jimmy could,  he would find ways to be
heard in some capacity. 

Now if there is not a damn thing wrong with him,  than holy shiiit talk about stubbornness,  but  
that's not what's happened here.  Life happens and Page has had to find other ways to be
involved in music. In reality I say there is  no scenario where Page will play again - and that
includes  with the 2 members of Led Zeppelin. 
:bagoverhead:  Sorry I'm just calling it like I see it. :console:

1 hour ago, KellyGirl said:

I don't want anyone to think I'm giving a Bronx cheer or popping their balloon,  because who
hasn't thought of a way for Plant, Page and Jones to collaborate together,  without it going
against Plant's wishes and turning into full-scale Zeppelin beast mode! 

Let's say there was an overwhelming demand for an unplugged (acoustic) gig AND Robert
agreed to this.  One important factor prevents that from getting off the ground.  The guitar
player.  
:tomato:  

I don't buy for one second that Jimmy is capable of playing a guitar at a level where he'd be  
satisfied with fans listening.   Does he wish he could?  Yes of course,   but something  
physically has put that to a dead stop.  There is a difference with he can't and he won't.  I say
he can't.   After what happened in Japan ( S A J had a thread explaining)  that was more than
enough proof his public playing days were finished.    

It's going on 11 years since the 02 show.  We know Page was disgruntled with Plant not
wanting to take it on the road,  however no way would that continue to prevent Page from
playing (other than a few times) I don't buy that.   If Jimmy could,  he would find ways to be
heard in some capacity. 

Now if there is not a damn thing wrong with him,  than holy shiiit talk about stubbornness,  but  
that's not what's happened here.  Life happens and Page has had to find other ways to be
involved in music. In reality I say there is  no scenario where Page will play again - and that
includes  with the 2 members of Led Zeppelin. 
:bagoverhead:  Sorry I'm just calling it like I see it. :console:

What is the japan (saj) thread you mentioned? Or what happened in Japan with Jimmy?

2 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

physically has put that to a dead stop.

I was watching video of a signing event for his photo book. He didn't actually sign your book, he had a big stamp that said "Zoso" and the date of the event. That makes me think he probably has arthritis, and may have had it for a long time and was doing what he could, while he could. For a long time now he's been saying he was practicing for a solo album and tour that have never materialized. It probably makes him feel good to say and reassures the public, but I have doubts.

3 hours ago, Tadpole in a Jar said:

Jason would be there. He would play with brushes or congas.

If no one's into this, that would be great news for me! Smaller venues, lower ticket prices and plenty of parking! 

Jason Bonham playing congas in an acoustic Zep reunion.

We have finally reached La La land on this forum. 

9 hours ago, nemophilist said:

What is the japan (saj) thread you mentioned? Or what happened in Japan with Jimmy?

Think Kelly is referring to the Classic Rock Awards show where the advertising made it appear that Jimmy was co-headlining. All he eventually did was present an award! 

3 hours ago, babysquid said:

Think Kelly is referring to the Classic Rock Awards show where the advertising made it appear that Jimmy was co-headlining. All he eventually did was present an award! 

Yeah that’s right. It was fraudulent misrepresentation and the organisers had to offer refunds to the attendees. 

Yes that's the thread!!  Thanks babysquid and Xolo1974!! :)

They had Jimmy presenting Jeff Beck with some reward.  It was the perfect set up for the two
to jam.  The promoting of the event was so sketchy though.   There were so many pissed off
people who felt like they had been taken -- hence the refund they were all given eh!  Very poorly
done,  but at least people could get their money back.  Sad though when you attend an event with
Page and you leave feeling extremely dissatisfied.  Lesson learned though right!  

Archived