How about an acoustic reunion?

Back in 2014, Robert said that 'a couple of years ago' he'd told Jimmy that 'if you’ve got anything acoustic, let me know. I’ll give it a whirl’ - but that Jimmy 'just walked away'.
Ok, it sounds like a proposal for an acoustic Page-Plant album, rather than an acoustic Zeppelin reunion, but Jimmy's response suggests that he's not interested
in a solely acoustic thing. Ah well.

1 hour ago, Brigante said:

Back in 2014, Robert said that 'a couple of years ago' he'd told Jimmy that 'if you’ve got anything acoustic, let me know. I’ll give it a whirl’ - but that Jimmy 'just walked away'.
Ok, it sounds like a proposal for an acoustic Page-Plant album, rather than an acoustic Zeppelin reunion, but Jimmy's response suggests that he's not interested
in a solely acoustic thing. Ah well.

I wouldn't take that literally. I think Plant says a lot of stuff in interviews that's meant metaphorically but taken literally. I'd take it to mean: in 2014 he wouldn't have minded doing something similar to Unledded on a smaller scale, but Page showed no especial interest. Doubt it was an actual proposal.

FWIW, i reckon Kelly Girl is about right here. I'd imagine Page won't just be doing 50th anniversary stuff this year, but next: after all, the bulk of the early Zep breakthrough story happened in 1969. By the time the promo for that were over, it'd be 2020 and Page will be 76. Anyone betting on solo albums is like betting on the Dow to go to 40,000.

52 minutes ago, 76229 said:

Doubt it was an actual proposal.

Agreed. It sounded far more informal than that. Just done a bit of digging on this and it turns out that Jimmy was asked about it in Uncut and he said
that not only had Robert been quoted inaccurately but that, if it came to it, Robert 'would have no intention whatsoever of doing it. So I’m not getting into it.'
That's that, then...!

I always thought that their rock music was their strength...,,,.....sorry falling asleep thinking about an acoustic set...,but a new hour of page, plant, jones would be great. I think that loud electric music would transcend age and whatever. With todays dynamics audiowise, they could take their quiet and loud dynamic to new heights. Most importantly after jones zooma and page and plant era.......it could be new and it could be loud moving music. 

7 minutes ago, middlezep said:

I always thought that their rock music was their strength...,,,.....sorry falling asleep thinking about an acoustic set...,but a new hour of page, plant, jones would be great. I think that loud electric music would transcend age and whatever. With todays dynamics audiowise, they could take their quiet and loud dynamic to new heights. Most importantly after jones zooma and page and plant era.......it could be new and it could be loud moving music. 

Nice perspective.  An acoustic reunion would be nice but can't see them doing just this with the variety and diversity of their music as they always strived for both.  Gotta have the electric as well. 

Hope you're doing well.  Talk soon, I hope!

On 2/9/2018 at 6:45 PM, Boleskinner said:

Jason Bonham playing congas in an acoustic Zep reunion.

We have finally reached La La land on this forum. 

You're right. He would more likely use tablas.

On 2/11/2018 at 3:21 AM, FL6 said:

It's 4 in the morning, I've had too much to drink, been out with the boys.

I'd like nominate this as the most fucktard thread ever.

Carry on.

I'm down voting your post the day we have that ability on this forum.

The whole concept of a social event can be a wonderful experience but you can only get what you can.

Why tear the idea out so far? Yeah Page Plant acoustic yeah, that's because the way Plant is doing music today,

he would prefer doing songs where Page would at least mostly play acoustic.

But Led Zeppelin? It's just over. It's like people always complaining why didn't the Beethoven himself come around and

direct a symphony. I can see a lot of you are definitely talking about playing all their material with no drums and acoustic

which is even more off. 

Although maybe one or two songs at a press conference for 50'th anniversary, but do you

want it the way Plant sings it now? I like it. Don't like the whole idea much. Zep were very creative and unique, don't you get it?

And yeah quite a few others can in their way play it and create great music of their own, but Zep had a unique approach that at least

one band member wants to protect and understands the technical spectacularity that was once there and he goes beyond his own way.   

You got other great music for social events, but don't just get drunk like on a too much one type sound heavy concert.

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to hear an acoustic album but not reworkings of Zeppelin but of original songs. Acoustic doesn't *have* to mean rocking chair music.  I think it would be a marvelous challenge. The recording tech is better, they have so much more life experience now, they're all clean and sober (as far as i know?) so those issues won't come into play.  Basically, they'd be creating a new band with different dynamics; they'd be moving forward, not rehashing their past. I know any time they've collaborated, its just as a "favor" or a "one off" thing on each other's projects but I've seen how they look at each other on stage (we'll ignore the Live Aid and other early 80 debacles) and they look proud, and joyful watching each other perform. They each have home studios, so its not like they have to publicly book studio time for prying eyes to see. They could use pseudonyms while working on it to help keep it on the DL. I'm sure there's probably other measures that could be taken. These are three, phenomenally talented people; I'm sure they could think of something if they wanted - but that's the kicker - they have to want to. Yeah, I know, that's too naïve, nothing's that easy; life gets in the way; they're busy, etc. Add to that the egos, any remembered past frustrations, etc. It would be a leap of faith, for sure, but where would the music world be if  the leap of faith to create Led Zeppelin, for example, hadn't been taken?

The fact is, per the concert I just saw, Plant is in excellent voice, on par with 98' believe it or not. He sang the hell out of WLL, not acoustic but electric and very similar to the original arrangement. He sounds better now than he did at the O2 reunion so if he wanted to do Zeppelin he could, the fact is, he does not want to, or at least not with Jimmy.

Plant wants to guide the ship and would give Jimmy no quarter (pun intended), his way or no way and that would mean fresh arrangements of the Zep material and I believe that is the onion. Jimmy wants to do Zeppelin ala 1973, Plant wants to do Zeppelin ala 2018, plus other stuff as well. No way the two can reconcile such divergent approaches. No way.

I believe the 95' approach was mostly Plant, whereas the 98' tour was more Jimmy and as amazing as that was, Plant did not want to keep rehashing old ground.

3 hours ago, LZforlife said:

I would love to hear an acoustic album but not reworkings of Zeppelin but of original songs. Acoustic doesn't *have* to mean rocking chair music.  I think it would be a marvelous challenge.   

Agree, would be great! But be over the moon if they went with a total analogue recording chain on the old gear. It was part of the sound

6 hours ago, IpMan said:

The fact is, per the concert I just saw, Plant is in excellent voice, on par with 98' believe it or not. He sang the hell out of WLL, not acoustic but electric and very similar to the original arrangement. He sounds better now than he did at the O2 reunion so if he wanted to do Zeppelin he could, the fact is, he does not want to, or at least not with Jimmy.

Plant wants to guide the ship and would give Jimmy no quarter (pun intended), his way or no way and that would mean fresh arrangements of the Zep material and I believe that is the onion. Jimmy wants to do Zeppelin ala 1973, Plant wants to do Zeppelin ala 2018, plus other stuff as well. No way the two can reconcile such divergent approaches. No way.

I believe the 95' approach was mostly Plant, whereas the 98' tour was more Jimmy and as amazing as that was, Plant did not want to keep rehashing old ground.

Hi IpMan, I saw Plant in his current tour also and I agree, his voice did sound very good but, overall, I felt the evening was lackluster. I'm not trying to argue with you, or anyone, just a different opinion. :)

We all know Jimmy is the Keeper of All Things Led Zeppelin and would fight tooth and nail to preserve that well deserved legacy, as he should. We also know Robert doesn't want an all out re-do of Zep because he's been there, done that and has other vistas he wants to explore. He is content to incorporate a few LZ songs in his current lineups, as is his prerogative, but that's all.

That's why it would have to be a completely different type of project under a new name. (Hell, maybe they'd have no name, just an album title and do a reverse of the untitled LZ IV! Ha!) Jonesy's done some really diverse work and been far a field in the industry, perhaps his musical input would be enough to provide Jimmy with the security of experience having shared the trenches with him but also give Plant the comfort of looking at new material, and break the stalemate between the double P boys.

I just want to see them working together again, in whatever new project. They each have the undeniable "it" factor and I believe it would still be magical.

1 hour ago, LZforlife said:

Hi IpMan, I saw Plant in his current tour also and I agree, his voice did sound very good but, overall, I felt the evening was lackluster. I'm not trying to argue with you, or anyone, just a different opinion. :)

We all know Jimmy is the Keeper of All Things Led Zeppelin and would fight tooth and nail to preserve that well deserved legacy, as he should. We also know Robert doesn't want an all out re-do of Zep because he's been there, done that and has other vistas he wants to explore. He is content to incorporate a few LZ songs in his current lineups, as is his prerogative, but that's all.

That's why it would have to be a completely different type of project under a new name. (Hell, maybe they'd have no name, just an album title and do a reverse of the untitled LZ IV! Ha!) Jonesy's done some really diverse work and been far a field in the industry, perhaps his musical input would be enough to provide Jimmy with the security of experience having shared the trenches with him but also give Plant the comfort of looking at new material, and break the stalemate between the double P boys.

I just want to see them working together again, in whatever new project. They each have the undeniable "it" factor and I believe it would still be magical.

No worries LZ as I pretty much agree with you. Plant's voice and delivery is amazing on this tour but you are right, it was a bit lackluster. At least insofar as the setlist was concerned. I just wish he would mix it up and include music from the whole of his solo career instead of just one song from Principal of Moments (In the Mood), one song from Mighty ReArranger (All the King's Horses), and the rest a combo of the Americana stuff and re-worked Zep tunes.

I do believe he made a very wise choice with his closing the show with a version of WLL closer to the original vs. the version he has been doing for years which I pretty much do not like.

Overall I rate this show a strong 6 to of 10 due to Plant's voice, passion, and the sheer talent of his bandmates.

Been a hardcore zep fan for 38 years, listening to bootlegs since I was 15 and I find it weird that people cannot let Jimmy go.  He is obviously done playing guitar even in a tiny setting for a one off thing.  His dexterity is simply gone and anyone hoping for new music acoustic or otherwise is feeding a pipedream of immense proportions.  The reality is any guitar player who hasn't been seen playing guitar in private or public for over 11 years and now at the age of 74 is just done. If he puts out new music I will eat my hat.

It's long past time to let go of the idea that, He/they could do.................

51 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

Been a hardcore zep fan for 38 years, listening to bootlegs since I was 15 and I find it weird that people cannot let Jimmy go.  He is obviously done playing guitar even in a tiny setting for a one off thing.  His dexterity is simply gone and anyone hoping for new music acoustic or otherwise is feeding a pipedream of immense proportions.  The reality is any guitar player who hasn't been seen playing guitar in private or public for over 11 years and now at the age of 74 is just done. If he puts out new music I will eat my hat.

It's long past time to let go of the idea that, He/they could do.................

I think people only speculate because of his constant statements of the professed intent to be seen playing, annually he makes these statements.

6 hours ago, nemophilist said:

I think people only speculate because of his constant statements of the professed intent to be seen playing, annually he makes these statements.

I get that, but really the fact that nothing and I mean nothing has materialized at all, not even any rumors that he was playing again so I say this with a heavy heart because I too want the master to play again but I am not fooling myself one bit. It was over a long time ago and if Jimmy doesn't keep talking he will simply fade away and he doesn't want that at all so I don't blame him for talking himself up but at the same time I have absolutely no expectations of seeing him play live again for any reason.

Of course Jimmy could have arthritis, but playing with Roy Harper in 2011 Jimmy was not sounding diminished, he wasn't

really playing chords but adding leads and licks. Anyway there are many creative possibilities if Jimmy got Robert back.

But  a whole acoustic set, still Jimmy would have to detune considerably, and IMHO this was a part of the 07'  show

that I thought made some songs sound rather strange. Anyway I'm not too sure Jimmy would like playing acoustic

and sitting down a whole show. Jimmy is kind of annoying being so secretive at this point, everyone knows about the

addictions, and a mention of arthritis would get closure for many fans, at least for me.

Even with declining abilities the studio can hide a multitude of sins.

I'm not surprised that he hasn't played live, but I expected another studio statement.

Obviously he has ideas - check out the two "songs" from It might get loud and the Domino P/P left over.

But it seems he has struggled to find the right personnel to take these ideas forward.

The two biggest stumbling blocks for me are - he feels it has to be bigger than Jesus and it has to have a singer.

Film soundtrack work with an experimental composer - for example Cliff Martinez - would have been interesting and could have resurrected his mojo.

It seems there's no shortage of people wanting to work with Page, but he never does anything.

Look at some of the stuff Damon Albarn did with the Gorillas and older artists.

The opportunities and possibilities are endless, which makes his inactivity all the more frustrating.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:30 PM, Boleskinner said:

Even with declining abilities the studio can hide a multitude of sins.

I'm not surprised that he hasn't played live, but I expected another studio statement.

Obviously he has ideas - check out the two "songs" from It might get loud and the Domino P/P left over.

But it seems he has struggled to find the right personnel to take these ideas forward.

The two biggest stumbling blocks for me are - he feels it has to be bigger than Jesus and it has to have a singer.

Film soundtrack work with an experimental composer - for example Cliff Martinez - would have been interesting and could have resurrected his mojo.

It seems there's no shortage of people wanting to work with Page, but he never does anything.

Look at some of the stuff Damon Albarn did with the Gorillas and older artists.

The opportunities and possibilities are endless, which makes his inactivity all the more frustrating.

Excellent post.

Archived