Which DVD is better for Seattle 77; Year Of The Dragon or Supersonic Seattle?

gibsonfan159

2 hours ago, johnlennon696 said:

Probably all much of a muchness tbh but EVSD Year of the Dragon is still considered the go to.

Can't find it anywhere. It's available for download, but I'd rather have a physical copy. Is it the lowest gen transfer?

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Can't find it anywhere. It's available for download, but I'd rather have a physical copy. Is it the lowest gen transfer?

Think so, in terms of the whole show. Of course the MTV clips are the lowest gen but for bootleg releases, the Year of the Dragon definitive edition DVD is considered the go to still on the whole.

From what I've read, the Supersonic Seattle DVD is an upgrade over The Year Of The Dragon. Is this correct? It's frustrating because I can't find any type of full reviews or comoarisons anywhere. Maybe I'll download a couple clips of each and compare them before making a purchase.

So I did a comparison with the two versions (Supersonic vs TYOTD) and recorded it with my phone (which looks crappy but at least you can see the difference). The Supersonic show has the contrast/brightness cranked up a little, which seems like the better result at first, but I noticed whenever the camera pointed towards the stage light the picture became extremely faded. The EV version was darker overall, but maintained a better picture during the brighter parts. As far as quality of the video, I couldn't tell a difference. As far as audio, the EV version seemed to have a little more bass and clarity. So in the end, I'd choose the EV TYOTD version.

• 3 months later...

As a side note; in 2002 the Celebration label released what must be the first DVD of this show and it is shite.

Celebration, not known for their stellar quality, really out did themselves with this one claiming it was from the "master tapes" but is clearly a late gen. VHS copy complete with ghosts (images and sounds) from what was on the tape before and is pretty well washed out. Of course I was thrilled to get it back then because it's all there was and I paid dearly for it. This EVSD version thrills me to no end.

I have never seen the Supersonic Seattle version but I'm a big fan of EVSD though their releases are not always the best there is, they often are.

Led Zeppelin Kindome 1977 Celebration Label (front).jpg

I've seen this question asked a bunch and I can tell you year of the dragon is a million times better than supersonic seattle. Its sharper with better colors and is a seamless viewing experience.

58 minutes ago, H-bomb! said:

Of course I was thrilled to get it back then because it's all there was and I paid dearly for it.

I paid $40 for a Knebworth VHS, that, I kid you not, has the worst performances of both shows combined on one. I was too naive to realize it back then and played it for a year straight.

Archived