The White Stripes Thread . . .

Aquamarine

Acute anxiety can be damn debilitating to the point where people are unable to leave their houses. I know it sounds like a "pull yourself together and get over it" kind of thing, but it's serious and can cause physical symptoms like cardiac arrhythmia, breathing difficulties, vertigo or circulatory collaps. There's really no point in planning a tour with a band member suffering from that condition. Putting a lot of pressure on her now might very well make it all a lot worse. :(

*Puts "kids" on "things to get" list* :unsure:

I think you're overstating what acute anxiety is. It's a mild form of what you describe.

What you described was general anxiety disorder, acute anxiety is, well, an acute form of that.

...which may well have turned from "acute" into "general" by now...whatever - if you want to believe that there's some mystery reason behind Meg not wanting to go on tour that's fine with me. *Shrugs in a distinct 'can't-be-arsed-to-argue-about-things-that-neither-you-nor-I-can-be-sure-about' way*

...which may well have turned from "acute" into "general" by now...whatever - if you want to believe that there's some mystery reason behind Meg not wanting to go on tour that's fine with me. *Shrugs in a distinct 'can't-be-arsed-to-argue-about-things-that-neither-you-nor-I-can-be-sure-about' way*

Acute anxiety did not really sound too damning when we first heard about it, but perhaps there is something worse going on now, possibly indicated by Jack calling future touring into question. I don't think any of us expected that.

U.S. rockers THE WHITE STRIPES have been recreated as Russian Dolls. Bandmembers Jack and Meg White are now available as the traditional interlocking toys of varying sizes - with the dolls' looks inspired by The White Stripes' album covers over the years. A limited-edition run of 1,000 dolls are now on sale from the band's website, www.whitestripes.com.

Rocker JACK WHITE has denied reports he is working on the THE RACONTEURS' new album - but concedes he is keeping busy with three different projects. The White Stripes frontman has been using his time well since he was forced to scrap his band's tour in September (07), because drummer Meg White was suffering from "acute anxiety". But he is remaining tight-lipped about the new projects. He says, "Half of me was glad (we cancelled the tour) because I have three other records I'm working on, and I didn't have any time to work on them. "I was really getting worried that I might have to not do these things I wanted to do because of the touring." But he insists the new albums and the scrapped tour do not mark the end of The White Stripes. He adds, "If it came to a point where Meg said, 'I don't want to be in this band anymore, it doesn't fulfil me in any way,' then it would be a different story. But she's not saying that."

-Contactmusic.com

• 1 month later...

JACK WHITE's SEVEN NATION ARMY has topped a new magazine poll to find the best guitar riff of the new millennium. The White Stripes tune beat Franz Ferdinand's Take Me Out and No One Knows by Queens of the Stone Age to lead the Paste countdown. Also making it into the top 10 are Jet's Are You Gonna Be My Girl, Coldplay's Talk and American Idiot by Green Day

-Contact Music

Coachella's promo team is all over the map

34842224.jpg

The rock fest's organizers have set a news conference for today (in Mexico, no less), where they'll announce this year's lineup and talk about an August festival in New Jersey.

By Geoff Boucher, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

January 21, 2008

When promoter Paul Tollett and his partners hatched the idea of a huge multiday rock festival called Coachella a decade ago, plenty of people wondered if the idea would actually go anywhere. Now the question is where it will stop.

At a news conference scheduled for today, Tollett and his business partners, which include concert promotion giant AEG Live, plan to announce the full lineup for the ninth edition of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio this April. It will include the Verve, the Raconteurs, Jack Johnson, My Morning Jacket and Rilo Kiley.

Tollett is also planning to elaborate on his new venture in Jersey City, N.J.: a three-day August festival (reportedly headlined by Radiohead and Johnson) on a grassy expanse in 1,200-acre Liberty State Park that has a dramatic vista of the Manhattan skyline.

.... just when the Greenhornes were starting to do stuff again...

The White Stripes have been busy making a video for "Conquest", their third single. Directed by prolific music videographer Diane Martel, the video was shot over two days in Artesia, California. Filmed with a visual urgency that brings the song's Spanish themes, frantic horns and compulsive pounding rhythm to life, the video follows an explosive - if unconventional - love story that pits man against bull in the ultimate conquest. To make his performance as authentic as possible, Jack White trained extensively with famed bullfighter Dennis Borba. The video will premiere on MTV on November 26th and will be available on iTunes from November 27th.

"Conquest" will also be released as a single; stunningly packaged and featuring three exclusive new tracks across three 7" vinyl formats - one black, one white and one red colored vinyl. Jack and Meg recently recorded the new tracks with Beck, who co-produced all three tracks during a recording session in his living room and also contributed vocals and piano to "It's My Fault For Being Famous" and slide guitar on "Honey, We Can't Afford To Look This Cheap".

Inspired by the "Conquest" video, each single will also include a Mondo Toro trading card featuring the legendary, near-mythical matadors El Sloth, El Blanca Rosa and El Perdedor. Despite being from early 1900's Spain and Portugal, these bullfighters look strangely familiar. US copies of these singles will also include a different poster with each release.

These vinyl singles will be released in the US on December 18th and in the UK on December 31st. Full track listings are listed below:

7" One (Black vinyl)

A: Conquest

B: It's My Fault For Being Famous

7" Two (White vinyl)

A: Conquest

B: Honey, We Can't Afford To Look This Cheap

7" Three (Red vinyl)

A: Conquest (Acoustic Mariachi Version)

B: Cash Grab Complications On The Matter

Digital Maxi Single (US only)

1. Conquest

2. It's My Fault For Being Famous

3. Cash Grab Complications On The Matter

4. Honey, We Can't Afford To Look This Cheap

5. Conquest (Acoustic Mariachi Version)

Anybody have these yet?

The Video is quite good, I just wish I could hear the other songs.

The stupid site has just snippets of them

anyways we can all enjoy this...

SPIN.COM

When it comes to today's Crackberry-driven youth culture, the blogosphere has a heavy hand in defining what rules in sound and style. The "Next Big Thing," or whatever it is, comes and goes quicker than a click of a mouse -- one navigated by the hip upper class. And Motor City power-pop outfit the Hard Lessons, the jokesters that they are, poke a little fun at what it means to be locked in such a controlling, yet ever-shifting 'scene' in their video for "See and Be Scene." Here, Gin (vocals/guitar), Ko Ko Louise (vocals/keys), and the Anvil (drums) color themselves pink (White Stripes spoof, anyone?) as The! Hungry! Hungry! Hipsters!, and playfully embrace arena rock-sized stage antics. From Gin's flirty, giddy behavior and an awkward fan crush on Ko Ko to the Anvil stopping the show to check his Blackberry, the Hard Lessons don't miss a beat in sound or style, reminding us that's when it comes to rock'n'roll no one can escape the 'scene.' The Hard Lessons' B & G Sides, Vol. I is available now via the Ann Arbor, Michigan-based label, Quack!Media. MACKENZIE WILSON

You can now watch the video for our song "See And Be Scene" over at SPIN.COM

A former Radio-Canada presenter is suing THE WHITE STRIPES for sampling her show without permission. Dominique Payette accuses the rock duo - Jack White and Meg White - of using an unauthorised 10-second soundbite from her Quebec, Canada teen call-in show, in which she and an unidentified girl talk in French. The excerpt introduces The White Stripes song Jumble, Jumble on the 2000 album De Stijl, which Payette wants withdrawn from shops immediately. The ex-275-Allo/Ados-Radio host is also seeking $70,000 (GBP35,000) in damages. Payette, who claims she first learned of the sample in March 2007, says, "They used the child's voice in a very cavalier way. I have two choices - either you go to court, or you do nothing. I decided to do something."

-Contactmusic

well that explains alot.....