The White Stripes Thread . . .

Aquamarine

Hilarious video--and a nice bit of capework from Jack, till he bit the dust! :lol: (I guess I like music vids when they're actually acting.) Thanks for posting!

Yeah, videos seem a lot better when it seems like the band is more involved with them and they aren't overly theatrical. The stripes have always had great videos.

THE WHITE STRIPES rocker JACK WHITE has teamed up with BOB DYLAN to complete a series of "unfinished" HANK WILLIAMS songs. The Seven Nation Army star is one of a selection of musicians asked by Dylan to work on completing the "lost" songs - some of the final tunes and lyrics written by the late legend. White recorded the unfinished Williams song You Know That I Know at Blackbird Studios in Nashville, Tennessee with engineer Joe Chiccarelli. Dominic Suchtya, the bassist who guested on the White tracks, says, "Dylan had contacted him (White) to see if he'd like to finish some of these tunes. No one has heard it as it was a Hank Williams lyric sheet that Jack put to music and edited a bit. Jack was sent most of or all of the unfinished tunes and picked this one to finish. "We listened to quite a bit of Hank while I was down there and sat around the two of us playing our favourite Hank tunes, but the song was done when I got there. I think Jack just ingested a bunch of Hank Williams and this is what came out of him." Country star Williams died in 1953 from a reported drug overdose. He was 29.

THE WHITE STRIPES rocker JACK WHITE has teamed up with BOB DYLAN to complete a series of "unfinished" HANK WILLIAMS songs. The Seven Nation Army star is one of a selection of musicians asked by Dylan to work on completing the "lost" songs - some of the final tunes and lyrics written by the late legend. White recorded the unfinished Williams song You Know That I Know at Blackbird Studios in Nashville, Tennessee with engineer Joe Chiccarelli. Dominic Suchtya, the bassist who guested on the White tracks, says, "Dylan had contacted him (White) to see if he'd like to finish some of these tunes. No one has heard it as it was a Hank Williams lyric sheet that Jack put to music and edited a bit. Jack was sent most of or all of the unfinished tunes and picked this one to finish. "We listened to quite a bit of Hank while I was down there and sat around the two of us playing our favourite Hank tunes, but the song was done when I got there. I think Jack just ingested a bunch of Hank Williams and this is what came out of him." Country star Williams died in 1953 from a reported drug overdose. He was 29.

I'm very interested to see how Jack runs with this. For those of you who aren't too familiar with the Stripes, he definitely has a taste of country music, and I don't think this song will end up sounding like your typical White Stripes song.

There are a few Elvis covers floating around if you can find them. If you cant I may have some...PM me

anyways... just found this out!

The White Stripes have been nominated for 4 Grammys in the categories of 'BEST ALTERNATIVE ALBUM', 'BEST ROCK SONG', 'BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP' and 'BEST LIMITED PACKAGING' at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards. The nominations are for the band's 6th album Icky Thump and its title track. The bands limited edition "Jack and Meg" Icky Thump USB drives received the nomination for 'BEST LIMITED PACKAGING'. The 50th Annual Grammy Awards will take place at The Staples Center is Los Angeles on February 10th 2008.

Hopefully they will not be ignored.

and why are they alternative? Why not Rock?

There are a few Elvis covers floating around if you can find them. If you cant I may have some...PM me

anyways... just found this out!

The White Stripes have been nominated for 4 Grammys in the categories of 'BEST ALTERNATIVE ALBUM', 'BEST ROCK SONG', 'BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP' and 'BEST LIMITED PACKAGING' at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards. The nominations are for the band's 6th album Icky Thump and its title track. The bands limited edition "Jack and Meg" Icky Thump USB drives received the nomination for 'BEST LIMITED PACKAGING'. The 50th Annual Grammy Awards will take place at The Staples Center is Los Angeles on February 10th 2008.

Hopefully they will not be ignored.

and why are they alternative? Why not Rock?

I may take you up on that offer...

And why are they alternative instead of rock? Well as both categories are very open to interpretation, let's look at the other nominees in both categories:

Best Rock Album

Daughtry, Daughtry

John Fogerty, Revival

Foo Fighters, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace

Bruce Springsteen, Magic

Wilco, Sky Blue Sky

Best Alternative Music Album

Lily Allen, Alright, Still...

Arcade Fire, Neon Bible

Bjork, Volta

The Shins, Wincing The Night Away

The White Stripes, Icky Thump

Their "rock" category focuses more on long time, radio worn artists (Daughtry and Wilco being exceptions in that they are not long existing and radio worn respectfully). Their "alternative" category includes mostly bands that appeal more to a cult fanbase (The White Stripes and The Shins are also exceptions, in that both have had their albums this year go to #2). Overall, it's hard to tell exactly what makes one rock and one alternative.

They rule but I'll be the first to admit that Meg White is...well not quite the drummer that jack is the guitarist. He's phenomenal, she's mediocre at best (and if that...)

But for the most part, I love them. Just wish they got a bassisst :P

Meg does what is needed of her, if the drumming was more elaborate it would probably take away from the songs as they fit the style of her drumming.

And why is there a need for a bassist? For the same reason more elaborate drumming would hurt the Stripes, so would a bassist.

Jack said he has to beg Meg not to practice--that she plays like a child would, which is exactly what he's after, a real basic, stripped-down approach. That's their whole thing--stripping away excess, returning music to its fundamental elements. I agree that, for the same reason, there's no need for a bassist--a bassist would just just clutter the sound.

Jack said he has to beg Meg not to practice--that she plays like a child would, which is exactly what he's after, a real basic, stripped-down approach. That's their whole thing--stripping away excess, returning music to its fundamental elements. I agree that, for the same reason, there's no need for a bassist--a bassist would just just clutter the sound.

There's a reason why Jack's guitar is always very loud and thick, it's to make the songs operate as a two piece. A bass would just make them more conventional which is something Jack likes not to be.

Rocker JACK WHITE isn't worried if THE WHITE STRIPES never tour again following drummer MEG WHITE's recent medical crisis. The pair scrapped a series of concerts in September (07) after frontman Jack revealed his partner was suffering from "acute anxiety", leaving her unable to travel. And despite the band's reputation as a fierce live act, Jack insists The White Stripes will adapt if they can never perform onstage again. He says, "If we didn't ever tour again it doesn't matter to me. There's so many different aspects to being creative that it doesn't matter if one component is changed. "And if something isn't working for you and it's detrimental to you, then you have to figure out a new way to attack it, a new way to look at it. I think that's what Meg's doing... We'll find our spots, we'll find our moments. We already talked about other songs we're working on."

Rock duo THE WHITE STRIPES' recent collaboration with BECK was a relaxed affair - the songs were recorded in his living-room. The stars teamed up to tape three new songs - We Can't Afford To Look This Cheap, Cash Grab Complications On The Matter and It's My Fault For Being Famous, Honey - for the B-sides of three coloured vinyl singles of The White Stripes track Conquest, which is released in the U.S. on 18 December (07). And The White Stripes - Jack and Meg White - didn't let the fact Beck's home studio wasn't ready stop them from forging ahead with their plans. Jack says, "We had some songs that were kind of lingering around. Meg and I had never really played them, we just kind of learned them in Beck's living room. His studio wasn't ready to go, so he just set it up in his living room."

Rocker JACK WHITE isn't worried if THE WHITE STRIPES never tour again following drummer MEG WHITE's recent medical crisis. The pair scrapped a series of concerts in September (07) after frontman Jack revealed his partner was suffering from "acute anxiety", leaving her unable to travel. And despite the band's reputation as a fierce live act, Jack insists The White Stripes will adapt if they can never perform onstage again. He says, "If we didn't ever tour again it doesn't matter to me. There's so many different aspects to being creative that it doesn't matter if one component is changed. "And if something isn't working for you and it's detrimental to you, then you have to figure out a new way to attack it, a new way to look at it. I think that's what Meg's doing... We'll find our spots, we'll find our moments. We already talked about other songs we're working on."

Rock duo THE WHITE STRIPES' recent collaboration with BECK was a relaxed affair - the songs were recorded in his living-room. The stars teamed up to tape three new songs - We Can't Afford To Look This Cheap, Cash Grab Complications On The Matter and It's My Fault For Being Famous, Honey - for the B-sides of three coloured vinyl singles of The White Stripes track Conquest, which is released in the U.S. on 18 December (07). And The White Stripes - Jack and Meg White - didn't let the fact Beck's home studio wasn't ready stop them from forging ahead with their plans. Jack says, "We had some songs that were kind of lingering around. Meg and I had never really played them, we just kind of learned them in Beck's living room. His studio wasn't ready to go, so he just set it up in his living room."

This whole situation with Meg's gets stranger and stranger. I really can't see them not touring unless she actually has a more debilitating medical condition than acute anxiety. It would be a real shame, as they really are the best thing going right now.

I have a feeling that I will never get to see Zeppelin or TWS

and that makes me very sad...to the point of anxiety...I may have to cancel something now

maybe my subscription to Jugz

wait i dont have one of those

AHHHH!!!!!

I'm just the same. I want to see the White Stripes almost as bad as I want to see Zep. Jack will continue with the Raconteurs, but still, it's just not the Stripes.

I'm just the same. I want to see the White Stripes almost as bad as I want to see Zep. Jack will continue with the Raconteurs, but still, it's just not the Stripes.

Yup, there's something special about Jack and Meg on stage...I was lucky to catch them during their last tour and they're on top of my "want to see again" list.

This whole situation with Meg's gets stranger and stranger. I really can't see them not touring unless she actually has a more debilitating medical condition than acute anxiety. It would be a real shame, as they really are the best thing going right now.

Acute anxiety can be damn debilitating to the point where people are unable to leave their houses. I know it sounds like a "pull yourself together and get over it" kind of thing, but it's serious and can cause physical symptoms like cardiac arrhythmia, breathing difficulties, vertigo or circulatory collaps. There's really no point in planning a tour with a band member suffering from that condition. Putting a lot of pressure on her now might very well make it all a lot worse. :(

Well with the way this thing is progressing having seen the White Stripes is like having seen Zep, a story to tell your kids.

*Puts "kids" on "things to get" list* :unsure: