Winter Olympics in South Korea 2018

LedZeppfan1977

I am shocked there is no thread.  No interest?  Well how about 2020?  In Lost Angeles CA?  All air fairs and hotels are being paid for by Strider for Led Zeppelin members.  LOL.  Sean.  Ha.   I just had to say that Sean.  Get ready to pony up.  That place is going to be a fucking ZOO.  Anyway, I bet the Ruskies in womens hockey this morning.  They lost 5-0 and I won.  They were getting 5 1/2 goals.  LOL.  Won by the skin of my chinny chin chin.  You know I would rather watch those hot mamas curling than that damn bobsled our luge or whatever you call it.  Those fucking women are Amazon's.  The cross count skiing sprint was fun to watch.  I really loved the last place finisher.  Hot little Finnish girl.  If I was there I would ask her to go for a drink.  In any language I could muster. LOL.  Smokin!!!!!  Lets see some action on this thread please.  

9 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I am shocked there is no thread.  No interest?  Well how about 2020?  In Lost Angeles CA?  All air fairs and hotels are being paid for by Strider for Led Zeppelin members.  LOL.  Sean.  Ha.   I just had to say that Sean.  Get ready to pony up.  That place is going to be a fucking ZOO.  Anyway, I bet the Ruskies in womens hockey this morning.  They lost 5-0 and I won.  They were getting 5 1/2 goals.  LOL.  Won by the skin of my chinny chin chin.  You know I would rather watch those hot mamas curling than that damn bobsled our luge or whatever you call it.  Those fucking women are Amazon's.  The cross count skiing sprint was fun to watch.  I really loved the last place finisher.  Hot little Finnish girl.  If I was there I would ask her to go for a drink.  In any language I could muster. LOL.  Smokin!!!!!  Lets see some action on this thread please.  

I may attend the closing ceremony in Peyongchang next week.

The next Winter Olympics will be hosted by Beijing, China in 2022.

Right now, I'm enchanted by Canadien Curling athlete Kaitlyn Lawes. Some of the US & Japanese snow boarders are hotties too. 

With the East Germans and Russians doping for years, and the fact that entire cities and countries are left bankrupt after offering their heads upon a platter to host the Olympics, and NBC turning the Olympics into a Hallmark Channel TV movie, and the addition of too many needless and questionable so-called "sports", my interest in the Olympics has been on the wane for a long time.

Then Larry Nassar pretty much killed whatever interest was left. The conviction and sentencing of Larry Nassar isn't the end...it should only be the beginning.

These hundreds of girls weren't just preyed upon by Larry Nassar. They were served willingly to Larry Nassar and then abandoned by the IOC and USOC and Michigan State University officials who should have known better. 

What kind of idiot stipulates in a contract that a man can have access to a girl's room any time he wants and demand a physical and if she refuses he can then keep her off the team? What kind of organization forces girls apart from their families and friends and do not allow them the doctor of their choice?

These girls were failed by EVERYONE associated with the Olympic gymnastic team and the US Olympic organization as a whole. I will not give one cent of my money or one minute of time to these monsters.

They all belong in hell.

I know some people will say that there are other athletes that have trained so hard for this moment...the lugers, the skaters (don't tell me there hasn't been abuse with some of these girls...it's only a matter of time before the other shoe drops), the snowboarders and skiers. I'm sure they work hard and aspire to represent their country and all that. Sorry, I can't work up much enthusiasm for them.

Even the whole Olympic ideal seems antiquated at this point...or been twisted. The notion of the world coming together in the interests of sportsmanship and competition sounds noble. But in actuality, it exacerbates ugly nationalism. Why else does the media focus on the medal count? Why else do Olympic athletes face shame, and in certain backward countries death, if they don't bring home the gold?

All the money spent on the Olympics seems wasted and could be better served elsewhere.

I agree with Sean on this, plus, it's really become an elaborate money grab more than anything else. Back room deals regarding which city will host. Staggering the olympics every two years instead of four like it used to in an effort to make more money. Advertising, commercial interests, over the top nationalism, and now the abuse scandals? The olympics of today remind me of the mirror universe in Star Trek where everything is twisted and dark, machinations within schemes.

If anything, the result of globalization should have us with an olympics focused only on competition between the athletes and the countries should be secondary at best. The only medal counts which matter should be from the athletes themselves, not whatever geographical region fate deposited them.

But ya know, I can compromise. I say for the summer olympics we bring back all the traditional events, especially the Pankration. Bring that baby back, in its original form (two naked guys fighting until submission or death), and then you have an olympics. Bonus points if we can have Kim Jong Un & Trump as the contestants...Putin can ref.

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Agreed with the above posts.

with that said, Shaun White was fucking amazing tonight! Congrats to the flying tomato!

Couldn't agree with you more about Shaun White after his second showing tonight could have been a disaster and nearly was at the end after such a great start!  His third was beyond belief and it was so emotional to see him excel beyond in some way as re reached to a higher element to gather this for such a performance, which I'm sure Shaun himself can't belief he accomplished over the youth he was against at 31 now!

I was nearly in tears after his final round, watching what he did!  Just amazing and how good these athletes are and makes the Olympics so special and very proud of the USA!  And why I hate the media for their antics as things like this make the USA so great!

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

If anything, the result of globalization should have us with an olympics focused only on competition between the athletes and the countries should be secondary at best. The only medal counts which matter should be from the athletes themselves, not whatever geographical region fate deposited them.

I'm not surprised YOU push for a Citizen of the World Olympics, but the athletes participate as representatives of the countries that sent them. 

If it's just Mark vs. Igor on ice who gives a shit? USA vs. Russia? Now THAT makes for a memorable Olympic moment.

Definitely, Steve how can you beat the above video and perfect!!!!  One of the greatest moments in the history of the Olympic games and sports as well!  Sort of like a Triple A minor league team or below beating the World Series champion.  Don't know how else to put the magnitude of this!

46 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Definitely, Steve how can you beat the above video and perfect!!!!  One of the greatest moments in the history of the Olympic games and sports as well!  Sort of like a Triple A minor league team or below beating the World Series champion.  Don't know how else to put the magnitude of this!

When they matched up for an exhibition game at MSG in New York just days PRIOR to the Olympics the Soviets annihilated Team USA 10-3.

The year prior, this same Soviet team crushed the NHL All Stars 6-0 to win the Challenge Cup.

That is the magnitude of the Miracle on Ice! American college kids with zero professional experience defeated full-fledged Soviet professionals.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/russians-easy-u-s-olympians-fall-10-3-article-1.2023417

Just came back from some morning skiing.  Shaun White is amazing.  You could not know a thing about snow boarding, and just by watching it's obvious he's miles past the competition.  Just the way he always tucks his body when he twists and turns sets him apart from the rest.  It's like watching the technique of an Olympic diver.  

Really enjoying the Canadian coverage.  They stay with events, they show you more variety, more countries featured, AND there's lots of curling.  Lot less conjured-up drama too.    

16 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

When they matched up for an exhibition game at MSG in New York just days PRIOR to the Olympics the Soviets annihilated Team USA 10-3.

The year prior, this same Soviet team crushed the NHL All Stars 6-0 to win the Challenge Cup.

That is the magnitude of the Miracle on Ice! American college kids with zero professional experience defeated full-fledged Soviet professionals.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/russians-easy-u-s-olympians-fall-10-3-article-1.2023417

Thanks for the details Steve as I had forgotten about the Challenge Cup, but remember the other game at MSG.  It may be some time before we see another David vs. Goliath situation!   Still mind-boggling even after 38 years.  I was in Jr. High.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

I lived about 2 hours south of Lake Placid at the time. The olympics were far different back then. 

Yes, much better IMO. Really miss the build up to the winter / summer 1 - 2 punch when they were held every four years, both in the same year. It just seemed more special.

4 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Yes, much better IMO. Really miss the build up to the winter / summer 1 - 2 punch when they were held every four years, both in the same year. It just seemed more special.

I never remember when any of them are. Just that they’re on even number years.

8 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Just came back from some morning skiing.  Shaun White is amazing.  You could not know a thing about snow boarding, and just by watching it's obvious he's miles past the competition.  Just the way he always tucks his body when he twists and turns sets him apart from the rest.  It's like watching the technique of an Olympic diver.  

Really enjoying the Canadian coverage.  They stay with events, they show you more variety, more countries featured, AND there's lots of curling.  Lot less conjured-up drama too.    

Shaun White was amazing last night. When he finished his third run, I (and most of the civilized world) knew he had won the gold again. After 4 years ago and his accident in New Zealand more recently, what an amazing accomplishment!

I really liked the Olympic coverage when I was living in the UK as well. Yes, in 2012, the UK got a bit more coverage - and why not: the games were in London - but, on the whole, the staying with events, the greater variety of countries shown (and lots of curling in the Winter Olympics), and the lack of manufactured melodrama made me prefer the coverage over there too.

Always love watching the Olympics - it's like the world is on pause for 2 1/2 weeks...

23 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Well said ForEvermore and agree!

Well, thank you very much! :)

I felt bad for Lindsey Jacobellis tonight - I was hoping sentimentally for redemption, but her gold medal moment wasn't to be. It should have been in Torino...

Go, Mikaela Shiffrin! B)

Evgenia or Alina? It's one or the other for the gold medal tonight in Ladies Figure Skating.

Judging from the other night, none of the Americans have the goods to challenge. Only hope for the U.S. is for Mirai Nagasu to nail a bunch of triple axels (Tonya Harding is still the only other American woman to successfully land a triple axel in Olympic competition) and then the two Russians have disastrous falls in their skates.

Congrats to the U.S. women! Eat it, Canada! 😝

Jesse Diggins, that name will be etched in American Olympic lore forever.  She is the young hottie that won the last leg of the cross country Gold medal, the first in US history and the brightest spot of the Olympics for us IMO. 

Congrats to Germany for a monster upset of Canada in hockey today

Archived