Planet Rock interview: 50th celeb Page

Boleskinner

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

That's all well and dandy, except Page has been spinning a yarn for years about getting back out there "next year", so he's brought it on himself.

The boy who cried wolf.

And the uncharitable might even say Page has been using the "next year" line to create a headline and generate more publicity for the reissues. 

Possibly. He knows Led Zeppelin sells and it is their 50th Anniversary. They’ll sell live music and other merch as long as there is a demand. 

R😎 

7 hours ago, Mook said:

Jimmy Page is highly unlikely to play in public again.

People should really get over it & just enjoy the Zeppelin stuff he's doing, you don't have to buy it.

Exactly. That’s what I said (he’s unlikely to play again previously) above. Somebody had a tantrum when I eluded to him not playing again. 

R😎

13 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

It could very well be that he intends to release shows from the years that fall on the 50th anniversary there of. So 68/2018. 69/2019 70/2020 etc. 

Christ I hope not!!!! I have not the patience.

14 minutes ago, reids said:

Exactly. That’s what I said (previously) above. Somebody had a tantrum when I eluded to him not playing again. 

R😎

You actually said he was in a "no-win" situation, implying we should all feel sorry for the multi-millionaire who repeatedly says he is going to play, when he doesn't.

It's of his own making and I think he's being disingenuous with fans.

I'm sure a lot of his fans and peers would respect him more if he came out and gave a reason for his lack of live playing or new material.

No tantrum. I just disagree with what you said. It's a forum.

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

You actually said he was in a "no-win" situation, implying we should all feel sorry for the multi-millionaire who repeatedly says he is going to play, when he doesn't.

It's of his own making and I think he's being disingenuous with fans.

I'm sure a lot of his fans and peers would respect him more if he came out and gave a reason for his lack of live playing or new material.

No tantrum. I just disagree with what you said. It's a forum.

After the first few times you really should have twigged that he's not going to be doing anything new and moved on. I'm not sure why he continues to say it but it's certainly not something that bothers me.

I doubt anyone feels sorry for Jimmy Page but a lot of us are thankful for the joy he's brought to our lives & don't really need anything else from him.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

After the first few times you really should have twigged that he's not going to be doing anything new and moved on. I'm not sure why he continues to say it but it's certainly not something that bothers me.

I doubt anyone feels sorry for Jimmy Page but a lot of us are thankful for the joy he's brought to our lives & don't really need anything else from him.

I agree with you Mook. I have seen Page a few times. Knebworth 1st Show, Outrider Tour, Buxton Opera House with Plant and to be honest I saw him at stages when he was great - especially the Outrider tour. I have no need or desire to see him perform again. It's only from people who don't have a grip on reality

Sorry I am just being realistic and certainly not saying you are the bad guys. Page doesn't have any new music in him - period. Nothing. Can you honestly see a man who hasn't performed on a live stage since 2007, record an album and get a band together and tour - how old is he 74? Frustrating as his ramblings are it ain't gonna happen. Let's just see what he has planned for the 50th and leave it at that?

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

Love how u two are twisting it and blaming the fans now.

Unbelievable.

Page tells porkies and we are the bad guys for believing in our hero.

Nobody is the bad guy here.

It's just not worth pinning your hopes on what someone who was a rock star 40 years ago says. Just forget about it & enjoy the music that we do have.

4 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

It could very well be that he intends to release shows from the years that fall on the 50th anniversary there of. So 68/2018. 69/2019 70/2020 etc. 

I agree there'd be an element of that. Page has always been into the significance of numbers & anniversaries. He even said once "there are powerful astrological forces at work in the band" (Hey it was the 70s, man), something numerological in a way.

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I agree with you Mook. I have seen Page a few times. Knebworth 1st Show, Outrider Tour, Buxton Opera House with Plant and to be honest I saw him at stages when he was great - especially the Outrider tour. I have no need or desire to see him perform again. It's only from people who don't have a grip on reality

Saw him multiple times in the 80s and 90s. He was in good form the nights I saw him perform. He did well at the 02 considering his age and tuning down on multiple songs for RP. Anyone who believes 10 years after the O2 show that he’s playing again (in his almost mid 70s) and believes his annual “promise” to be seen playing guitar needs a reality check.  Enjoy the 50th and consider anything they release as a bonus as they don’t owe us anything.

carry on. 

R😎

There is middle ground. This argument is deteriorating beyond what it needs to.

Yeah, he keeps saying he is going to get out there. And he does not. On the one hand, that's fine because we are not him and don't know him really well personally (close friend or knowledgeable about his every day life) so we obviously do not understand what is behind that. It could be anything - "oh, I see" if it was explained, or "well that's a bit weak" even - we don't know. And unless he provides a lot of detail and context (interview or whatever) we won't know. I don't subscribe to him owing an explanation necessarily either. It may be something that is difficult for him and something he does not wish to share/discuss. Since I don't know, and he is the single most important musician (to me) I'll ever follow (the key in the greatest rock band there will ever be imho), I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. (How could I not? look what he has given me through his craft?)

On the other hand, to say it for so long and not offer any explanation whatsoever on the delay or outright misdirection is hard to fathom and could have had even a tiny clarification that points to something in general. Does not have to be detailed if it is a difficultly Jimmy is struggling with.

It's cool to be in different camps on this but not worth getting too salty.

Since he very recently again said he was going to play "so I better be getting on with it" it makes me think there is genuine intention there - surely he is not that dim witted that he does not see what saying that forever with no intention of playing means. It would OBVIOUSLY tarnish his legacy a bit. I cannot see how that is possible (that he is that remiss), so while I do not write him off as never going to play again, I do think a lot of things have to come together - which have not yet, but he is working through - to get himself back out there so he is comfortable with what that is and what he is putting out. He may well have dozens of ideas and pieces on the shelf, and maybe turning them into something he is happy to take to the stage is a greater challenge than he expected. Eg. Look at some of the Studio Daze and other studio type boots where some noodling completely changes into the final released song. An incredible metamorphosis on some ideas/riffs/passages that result in brilliant tracks that are so estranged from the original seed/idea. Maybe he is struggling getting from that  "A to B" in that regard. And remember, that would have been Bonham and Jonesy heavily contributing even before the lyrics are applied. Bonham and Jones for the love of God!!! Maybe he cannot get all the pieces to fall into place. Maybe the other muso's he is trialing are not satisfying where he wants to be to proceed?

Or maybe its nothing to do with that, might be illness or nervousness is a bigger battle than he first thought it was going to be? As I said WE DON'T KNOW so it might be a bit of bullshit on his part or might be very legit.

So when he next says he is about to get out there, take it with a grain of salt but keep that tiny ember at the back of your Zeppelin brain alight with that possibility.

And focus on what is actually happening in 2018 and beyond. More Zep product!!!! Official releases!!!!! Oh HELL YES!

33 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Yeah, he keeps saying he is going to get out there. And he does not. On the one hand, that's fine because we are not him and don't know him really well personally (close friend or knowledgeable about his every day life) so we obviously do not understand what is behind that. It could be anything - "oh, I see" if it was explained, or "well that's a bit weak" even - we don't know. And unless he provides a lot of detail and context (interview or whatever) we won't know. I don't subscribe to him owing an explanation necessarily either. It may be something that is difficult for him and something he does not wish to share/discuss. Since I don't know, and he is the single most important musician (to me) I'll ever follow (the key in the greatest rock band there will ever be imho), I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. (How could I not? look what he has given me through his craft?)

On the other hand, to say it for so long and not offer any explanation whatsoever on the delay or outright misdirection is hard to fathom and could have had even a tiny clarification that points to something in general. Does not have to be detailed if it is a difficultly Jimmy is struggling with.

Since he very recently again said he was going to play "so I better be getting on with it" it makes me think there is genuine intention there - surely he is not that dim witted that he does not see what saying that forever with no intention of playing means. It would OBVIOUSLY tarnish his legacy a bit. I cannot see how that is possible (that he is that remiss), so while I do not write him off as never going to play again, I do think a lot of things have to come together - which have not yet, but he is working through - to get himself back out there so he is comfortable with what that is and what he is putting out. He may well have dozens of ideas and pieces on the shelf, and maybe turning them into something he is happy to take to the stage is a greater challenge than he expected. Eg. Look at some of the Studio Daze and other studio type boots where some noodling completely changes into the final released song. An incredible metamorphosis on some ideas/riffs/passages that result in brilliant tracks that are so estranged from the original seed/idea. Maybe he is struggling getting from that  "A to B" in that regard. And remember, that would have been Bonham and Jonesy heavily contributing even before the lyrics are applied. Bonham and Jones for the love of God!!! Maybe he cannot get all the pieces to fall into place. Maybe the other muso's he is trialing are not satisfying where he wants to be to proceed?

Or maybe its nothing to do with that, might be illness or nervousness is a bigger battle than he first thought it was going to be? As I said WE DON'T KNOW so it might be a bit of bullshit on his part or might be very legit.

So when he next says he is about to get out there, take it with a grain of salt but keep that tiny ember at the back of your Zeppelin brain alight with that possibility.

And focus on what is actually happening in 2018 and beyond. More Zep product!!!! Official releases!!!!! Oh HELL YES!

:goodpost:

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

I agree with this, but I would say - and I am not criticizing you here - that it's not accurate to say this thread is deteriorating in general. Based on recent comments, it's basically just @Boleskinner, making his usual abrasive and absolutist comments. The only mistake others are making is in trying to respond  to him with a type of courtesy and civility that is laudable but not what he's interested in. He has zero interest in reaching consensus with anyone or shifting his position in light of others' perspectives.

I do think his comments have had a useful effect, which is that folks like you have been prompted to post thoughtful replies. But beyond that, it's best just to ignore the vitriol in his comments.

51 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

I agree with this, but I would say - and I am not criticizing you here - that it's not accurate to say this thread is deteriorating in general. Based on recent comments, it's basically just @Boleskinner, making his usual abrasive and absolutist comments. The only mistake others are making is in trying to respond  to him with a type of courtesy and civility that is laudable but not what he's interested in. He has zero interest in reaching consensus with anyone or shifting his position in light of others' perspectives.

I do think his comments have had a useful effect, which is that folks like you have been prompted to post thoughtful replies. But beyond that, it's best just to ignore the vitriol in his comments.

It's clear you've got a personal problem with me, hence the personal attack, especially when it was made during a debate you weren't even involved in.

On another thread this week you wanted to resurrect a lengthy ding-dong we had on the remasters and I said "we'll need to agree to disagree".

But you can't let your personal grievance go.

Kinda sad and immature.

12 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

It's clear you've got a personal problem with me, hence the personal attack, especially when it was made during a debate you weren't even involved in.

On another thread this week you wanted to resurrect a lengthy ding-dong we had on the remasters and I said "we'll need to agree to disagree".

But you can't let your personal grievance go.

Kinda sad and immature.

Sorry, but no. My comment above is based on an observation of what you've written here and how you've responded (and not responded) to others' expressions of their points of view. Anyone can review the thread for themselves and decide for themselves if my assessment of your recent comments seems right or wrong.

Now if you want to see what a personal attack looks like, try this: "this forum is full of page apologists who are happy with anything he says or  the substandard releases he puts out, and defend him to the hilt no matter what." That's what you wrote, and it was very clear that you were tarring several recent other commenters with a broad, nasty (and inaccurate) brush. 

If you want to be the "I tell the unvarnished truth and don't pull any punches" guy who equates rudeness with veracity, then expect to get a response when you make overgeneral, absolutist statements that take zero notice of what the people you're responding to actually have written.

(As for the other thread you're referring to, I'll only note that I'd made a comment agreeing with someone else, and it was you who jumped back in to resume the argument, making the same kind of dismissive comment you'd already made repeatedly in the thread. Again, anyone can check out that thread ("Companion Discs Are Rubbish" thread) and see for themselves if I'm right or wrong.)

30 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Now if you want to see what a personal attack looks like, try this: "this forum is full of page apologists who are happy with anything he says or  the substandard releases he puts out, and defend him to the hilt no matter what." That's what you wrote, and it was very clear that you were tarring several recent other commenters with a broad, nasty (and inaccurate) brush. 

No I wasn't and don't misrepresent what I said.

You launched a personal attack on me quoting my name specifically and insulting me.

My comments are always related to the debate and maybe robust, but not rude, and done with a sense of humour.

You clearly can't handle that I disagreed with you on the companion discs and are harbouring that grudge, so you crow-barred yourself into a debate that you weren't involved in.

As I said, sad and immature.

I "agreed to disagree", but you can't let it go.

I'm sure people are bored to the teeth of this, anyway, so won't be replying to anymore of your personal attacks.

Archived