Best band that never really made it.

coogeeboy

My vote goes to Badfinger.

Had these blokes kicked on when they should have then i reckon Led Zeppelin had some pretty serious competition in the early 70's.

Bad management, suicides & some heavy competition from the changing face of rock cannot deny that this band wrote the purest of pop songs with unforgettable melody's & hard driving riff's that were too irresistable to ignore but that's seems to be the case.

What a shame they are more popular now then when it really mattered.

RIP Pete, Tom & Mike.

Your music will last forever.

There are loads of great bands who never made it, but I'll nominate Captain Beyond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Beyond

B000005RXE.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Captain Beyond - s/t (1972) tracks 1 - 3:

Captain Beyond - s/t (1972) tracks 9 - 13: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huaf_x-Z6HM

A live performance of the above:

&

I will second this vote!!

Their first Album was killer.

A second vote goes to a band out of the Bay Area...The Golden Gods

I will second this vote!!

Their first Album was killer.

A second vote goes to a band out of the Bay Area...The Golden Gods

Yah, can't argue with Captain Beyond. Do you remember the original cove with the '3D' cover?

Anyway, my second choice would be Crack the Sky.

Yah, can't argue with Captain Beyond. Do you remember the original cove with the '3D' cover?

Anyway, my second choice would be Crack the Sky.

Dancing Madly Backwards...dancing on a sea of air .....

Just like the Stones 'Her Majesties.....'.....I saw Crack the Sky in '77 !!! :D

How 'bout

Be Bop Deluxe ?

Bill Nelson won some fame...but his band stayed underneath the radar, for the most part...

In the States maybe Joel but they were big here in the UK but then BN became a little to avant garde for some people. ceratinly as a solo artist.

My vote goes to Badfinger.

Had these blokes kicked on when they should have then i reckon Led Zeppelin had some pretty serious competition in the early 70's.

Badfinger weren a bad band reasly but I have to challenge your comment above, and not just about Zep having competition, they would have struggled to compete with a lot of bands.

It all did come to a sad end though, they weren't a lucky band.

Oh bla di!!!!

Badfinger weren a bad band reasly but I have to challenge your comment above, and not just about Zep having competition, they would have struggled to compete with a lot of bands.

It all did come to a sad end though, they weren't a lucky band.

Oh bla di!!!!

At the time they were writing some very contagious pop songs & whilst everyone else was getting heavy & abstract in their lyrics they were writing about more personal issues that really set them apart.

The early 70's was a great time for music in general & Badfinger held their own in some fairly prominent company.

They were the perfect pop band.

Well would you put Boston in this category or 38 specilal? Or did they "make it"? They both had successfull albums and then just kind of faded off into the sunset.

I guess I would have to say Boston "made it" because they were huge for awhile, just not very prolific. .38 Special - wouldn't really say they were the 'best'.

I thought "Hold on Loosely" was a great song. Of course as for Boston they had two big albums. Only song title I can remember was More Than a Feeling. And Hitch a Ride also I think. They fell victom to the same thing many bands fall victim to-inability to play differant styles and change. Something Zeppelin did so well. Their albums are all so differant. Boston pretty much had the same sound, good though!

I agree. Two bands that were able to evolve effectively were Zep and the Beatles, the two most successful and popular bands of all time. Every album was different, always growing. They never got stale.

How 'bout

Be Bop Deluxe ?

Booyah. The only thing I can think of is that they were kinda shit live. Even then, they should have at least reached Todd Rundgren's Utopia levels.

I'd like to agree with Captain Beyond, but Rod Evans singing style totally clashed with the music.

Rasputina is worrying me.

They should be huge with emo/goth/steampunk vibe being more acceptable, but they still are at club-level or slightly above. I mean you'd figure they'd get at least the obsessive Nirvana fans who'd come just to see the chick who played cello with them on the In Utero tour.

New Rasputina slogan: Come for the Nirvana link, stay for the music!

Booyah. The only thing I can think of is that they were kinda shit live. Even then, they should have at least reached Todd Rundgren's Utopia levels.

I'd like to agree with Captain Beyond, but Rod Evans singing style totally clashed with the music.

Well...I saw Be Bop Deluxe and thought they were quite good live...and I've also seen Todd Rundgren's Utopia and they were good too....

Since the title of the thread is Best bands..that never made it...maybe I should've been more selective..cause really, I just put down them because they never really made it...not that they were GREAT !!! So....

And I totally agree with the Captain Beyond kudo's...the second album wasn't quite like the first..but that first one puts them high on a pedestal in my book...that's a great album....:thumbsup:

And I totally agree with the Captain Beyond kudo's...the second album wasn't quite like the first..but that first one puts them high on a pedestal in my book...that's a great album....:thumbsup:

The second album is definitely harder to get into. I love it now though, it really grew on me after a few listens. I've never heard the third album, apart from one track which didn't sound sound too bad at all.

The second album is definitely harder to get into. I love it now though, it really grew on me after a few listens. I've never heard the third album, apart from one track which didn't sound sound too bad at all.

Well the second album is cool...but not as HARD...it's very musical...more production ya know ?

The title track, Sufficiently Breathless, was played quite often in Dallas though back then...and that actually go me into their music..I hadn't heard the first one yet...

I don't have Suff. B.....but should re-visit it for sure....you have it on cd ?

I have heard the 3rd..one time...that's all I needed...first 2 are the best...IMnotsoHO....

Archived