Best band that never really made it.

coogeeboy

Crack the Sky.

nice

I still have "We Want Mine" from Animal Notes in my mp3 library

I got Dog City around '90 or '91 - REALLY good album.

my old and newer choices would be:

70s

Ram Jam - everyone remembers Black Betty off their debut album, but their 2nd lp was "Portrait of the Artist As A Young Ram", and had some really hard fast tunes that still sound good, most notably "Just Like Me" and "Wanna Find Love".

90s

Thought Industry - Found these guys by accident when I was really into industrial in the early 90s, and was totally blown away. Took a shot in the dark based on "Industry" in the band name - when I saw the "Metal Blade" label, I knew I was in safe territory :lolo:

Extremely complex arrangements where smoothly flowing harmonies suddenly erupt into an all-out metal onslaught, then back again. The first 2 releases, Songs For Insects and Mods Carve The Pig: Assassins, Toads and God's Flesh are my favorites.

Even though Bob Mould did "make it" in a critical sense with Husker Du, his second band Sugar really should have busted loose. I liked them so much better than Husker Du, & they were commercial enough in 92' to really go beyond, but not to be. I really recommend "Copper Blue" by them, a great lost early 90's album.

My Bloody Valentine self-destructed right as they released their second album and mgnum opus,Loveless... and it's taken them 16 years to get back together again.

Whether or not they actually produce anything this time is still up in the air.

Well would you put Boston in this category or 38 specilal? Or did they "make it"? They both had successfull albums and then just kind of faded off into the sunset.

Boston was huge. They faded off because they spent too much time in the studio and Tom Scholz got too distracted with his side business of guitar electronics.

Yah, can't argue with Captain Beyond. Do you remember the original cove with the '3D' cover?

Anyway, my second choice would be Crack the Sky.

Yes I have thew 3D cover which is cool.

Crack the Sky was also a great band, Live Sky is a must have

My vote goes to Badfinger.

Had these blokes kicked on when they should have then i reckon Led Zeppelin had some pretty serious competition in the early 70's.

Bad management, suicides & some heavy competition from the changing face of rock cannot deny that this band wrote the purest of pop songs with unforgettable melody's & hard driving riff's that were too irresistable to ignore but that's seems to be the case.

What a shame they are more popular now then when it really mattered.

RIP Pete, Tom & Mike.

Your music will last forever.

Badfinger was AMAZING. To these ears they still are.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who truly appreciates these guys.

Anyone have their "BBC In Concert" disc? Man, these guys tear into songs like you'd never imagine, particularly their cover of Traffic's "Feelin' Alright". Wow...

Another band that comes to mind is Max Webster. They were big in Canada in the late 70's, early eighties but I don't know if they had success anywhere else. Has anyone here from outside Canada heard of them?

Yeah my sister's boyfriend was a fan of them and Rush and Mahogany Rush. I think I saw Max Webster supporting Rush once. Will have to look at my old tickets.

The Small Faces. A GREAT 1960's English band that never made it across the pond. The fact Madonna is in the Rock Hall of Fame but the Small Faces are not, makes me want to vomit.

I was going to say The Faces. They "sort of" made it, but a lot of their success was tied into Rod's solo career. If Rod would have fully committed to the band they would have been one of the best. Certainly I never saw a more fun concert than Foghat opening for the Faces.

Anyway, my second choice would be Crack the Sky

I saw them too. They played a version of "I am the Walrus" that kicked major ass. I just heard one of their tunes on XM Deep Tracks.

Locally, I'd choose The Rockets. They were a talented band that was always searching for an identity. In reality, they were just a fantastic bar band. They sold out shows of 15,000 around here, but never made it past being a warm-up band around the rest of the country.

As much as I hate to admit it, I've grown fond of Renaissance. It's hard to believe that American radio didn't embrace this band back in the day. If marketed correctly, they would have sold like hotcakes.

Yeah my sister's boyfriend was a fan of them and Rush and Mahogany Rush. I think I saw Max Webster supporting Rush once. Will have to look at my old tickets.

Mahogany Rush :o Wow that's a blast from the past. My brother was really into them when I was a kid. I vaguely remember listening but I couldn't conjure up a song if I tried.

I saw Mahogany Rush twice - once with Sammy Hagar and Nazereth.

Frank Marino was an incredible guitarist.

I actually heard of Mahogany Rush long before I knew of Rush.

also APRIL WINE were a good band.

icon14.gif April Wine was awesome!

First Glance (originally titled Last Chance) had a killer song "Roller", and The Nature of the Beast had "All Over Town", which is still one of my favorite "lesser knowns".

Yah, Max always opened for Rush whenever they played around here (Ontario). Saw them together at least 6 times. Always a great show. The first time was in the cafeteria at the local university just after Fly By Night came out, and just before Max's first album came out. No seating, just sit on the floor wherever you could find a spot.

I saw Mahogany Rush twice - once with Sammy Hagar and Nazereth.

Frank Marino was an incredible guitarist.

I actually heard of Mahogany Rush long before I knew of Rush.

icon14.gif April Wine was awesome!

First Glance (originally titled Last Chance) had a killer song "Roller", and The Nature of the Beast had "All Over Town", which is still one of my favorite "lesser knowns".

I remember Mahogany Rush did an awesome cover of Roadhouse Blues. Excellant guitar player!

April Wine was the first concert I saw. 1972 at the local arena for the Stand Back tour. Saw them about a dozen times after that, but the first time was the best.

How about King Crimson?

-created the entire genre of prog

-long line of fabulous musicians (Greg Lake, Robert Fripp, Michael Giles, Ian MacDonald)

-In the Court of the Crimson King and In the Wake of Poseidon are amazing

they never made because the line-up kept changing and were definatly not main-stream

that original line-up for the first 3 albums would had been brilliant, if they didnt break up (Greg Lake was SOOOOO much better with King Crimson then with ELP!!!)

The Tragically Hip. Huge in Canada but nowhere else it seems..... What a great band !!!

Also, I don't think the original Little Feat got anywhere near the attention they deserved.

Archived