Best band that never really made it.

coogeeboy

I had Tago Mago for a year before I really started to enjoy them, when you get the the weirdness there are some very catchy melodies, riff's and grooves though.

Halleluwah is already a desert island tune. B)

There are a ton of great bands from the rust belt region (Pittsburgh to Detroit) that are huge regionally but never broke onto the national scene.

I dont doubt it and I'd like to look into it some more.

But Pacific Gas & Electric was a California group. Glenn Schwartz was originally from Cleveland and started the James Gang here in Cleveland 1967. He then left the group and moved out west and was replaced by Joe Walsh. Glenn left because his friends in Cleveland convinced him that he was going to be the next big guitar hero and he had to move out to LA to get noticed. It was there that Duane Allman heard him play and asked Glenn to the be the second guitarist in his group The Allman Bros. Band. Obviously, Glenn declined -- as he already commited to a group with drummer Frank Cook from Canned heat. The group was called Pacific Gas & Electric and Glenn was with them for two years and made 3 albums with them under Columbia Records. Just as the group scored a top 20 hit with "are you ready" and Glenn was voted one of the 3 top guitarists in the USA, Glenn left the group. After that, his life was basically downhill due to drugs. He now plays guitar for free every Thurs. night here in Cleveland at a bar. He is one of the best guitarists I have ever seen.

Drivin' & Cryin'...had some great tunes in the early 90's but kinda got lost when the grunge scene hit!!!

Drivin' n' Cryin' still perform occasionally. Kevn Kinney also does solo shows as well as performances with his band STAR (Sun Tangled Angel Revival). One of the best shows I've seen in recent years was Tres Tangled Truckers II which included Caitlin Cary (Tres Chicas), Kevn (STAR) and Jason Isbell (Drive-By Truckers).

One of the most supprizing for me in retorspect would be Little Feat, how on earth didnt Sailin Shoes and Dixie Chicken make them into superstars in the US? the likes of Easy To Slip, Willin, Two Trains, Fool Yourself etc seem tailor made for radio airplay.

I don't know it if made 'em a household name but I'd say their live record Waitin' For Columbus most definitely did not go unnoticed.

I think someone mentioned these guys earlier..

the-cult-4.jpg

Yeah, "Fire Woman" was their greatest "hit", but they had a great body of work between 1985 (the "Love" album) and 1991 ("Ceremony"). They made records before and after that period, but these were the best times. Do yourself a favor and get Ceremony, Love, Electric & Sonic Temple. The Cult DID have minor hits, but I think they are a bit underappreciated.

I don't know it if made 'em a household name but I'd say their live record Waitin' For Columbus most definitely did not go unnoticed.

I spose "didnt make it when they should have" would suit Little Feat better, they did have a bit of sucess in the late 70's but there best work in the early 70's was largely ignored. Dixie Chicken espeically strikes me as an album that could have been massive if promoted properly, almost every track has single/airplay potential.

In recent years I'd say Shack/The Strands must be near the top of the list, the second best band to ever come out of Liverpool for me....

The Sonics

Probably because their sound was just too wild and sonic when they were around. While these guys wrote The Witch and He's Waitin' (about a cheatin' girlfriend that will be taken care of by satan), The Beatles wrote I Wanna Hold Your Hand and I Should Have Known Better, no wonder The Sonics never got much airplay..

They've gotten some kind of recognition in later years though and is highly regarded in garage rock circles.

Seek out these two albums if you're interested!

Here are The Sonics

d902136s4ya.jpg

The Sonics BOOM

d69148h106n.jpg

Not necessarily. I've seen some greatest hits collections from artists that only had one hit.

Good point. Also there are bands that never really "made it" when they were together, but later acquired a following. Many of those bands had greatest hits releases simply as a matter of supply and demand.

I spose "didnt make it when they should have" would suit Little Feat better, they did have a bit of sucess in the late 70's but there best work in the early 70's was largely ignored. Dixie Chicken espeically strikes me as an album that could have been massive if promoted properly, almost every track has single/airplay potential.

Perhaps the members of Little Feat feel differently about it (and they very likely do) but I always felt their cult status suited them perfectly. A whole lot of the artists I admire aren't exactly household names and they seem to have no problem with that. While it would be nice to see some of them enjoy more widespread recognition it's not necessary that it actually happen so I can justify my appreciation of them.

the-cult-4.jpg

Yeah, "Fire Woman" was their greatest "hit", but they had a great body of work between 1985 (the "Love" album) and 1991 ("Ceremony"). They made records before and after that period, but these were the best times. Do yourself a favor and get Ceremony, Love, Electric & Sonic Temple. The Cult DID have minor hits, but I think they are a bit underappreciated.

Yep, sometimes I feel The Cult are a little underrated......

The Sonics

Probably because their sound was just too wild and sonic when they were around. While these guys wrote The Witch and He's Waitin' (about a cheatin' girlfriend that will be taken care of by satan), The Beatles wrote I Wanna Hold Your Hand and I Should Have Known Better, no wonder The Sonics never got much airplay..

They've gotten some kind of recognition in later years though and is highly regarded in garage rock circles.

Seek out these two albums if you're interested!

Here are The Sonics

d902136s4ya.jpg

The Sonics BOOM

d69148h106n.jpg

Like for most garage/psych bands, mainstream rock tends to snob 'em!!! : :angry: angry:

• 2 weeks later...

the-cult-4.jpg

I wiil agree with you the Cult Rocked,great band

Anyone have an opinion on the Cars? Remember them (I like the night life baby). Good? Bad? Awfull?

The cars were a great band in thier day.Kinda of in the new wave eara,skinny ties and all.But cant deny a ton af catchy songs with some guitar riffs.I will say I still like em.

651152_356x237.jpg

I was a huge fan of the Hip,their sound changed alot from their early works.Loved Road Apples,Fully Completely,Day for Night ,and their second cd which name escapes me now.The one with New orleans is Sinking,[came out years before Katrina].But what a tight band!

The Arc Angels. Stevie Ray Vaughan's Double Trouble rhythm section (Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton) plus Doyle Bramhall II and Charlie Sexton on guitar and vocals, two guys who were very close to SRV. Came out with their self-titled debut in 1992 two years after Stevie's death, but had a sound that went in a direction that had many more influences than Stevie. Broke up after only one album, though it did sell 300,000 copies. Every single song on that album is killer. Doyle II (whose dad Doyle Sr. helped Stevie write songs like Tightrope and The House Is Rocking along with writing SRV classics Change It and Life By The Drop) later wound up playing on Roger Waters's In The Flesh tour and later on was in Eric Clapton's band and is featured quite a bit on Clapton's Sessions For Robert J and the two Crossroads Festivals. Charlie Sexton went on to play with Bob Dylan, among others. And their solo work wasn't too bad either.

Shape I'm In

Too Many Ways To Fall

Livin' In A Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzt6mmBq6S8

Doyle Bramhall II - Chariot

Archived