Best band that never really made it.

coogeeboy

The Arc Angels. Stevie Ray Vaughan's Double Trouble rhythm section (Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton) plus Doyle Bramhall II and Charlie Sexton on guitar and vocals, two guys who were very close to SRV. Came out with their self-titled debut in 1992 two years after Stevie's death, but had a sound that went in a direction that had many more influences than Stevie. Broke up after only one album, though it did sell 300,000 copies. Every single song on that album is killer. Doyle II (whose dad Doyle Sr. helped Stevie write songs like Tightrope and The House Is Rocking along with writing SRV classics Change It and Life By The Drop) later wound up playing on Roger Waters's In The Flesh tour and later on was in Eric Clapton's band and is featured quite a bit on Clapton's Sessions For Robert J and the two Crossroads Festivals. Charlie Sexton went on to play with Bob Dylan, among others. And their solo work wasn't too bad either.

Shape I'm In

Too Many Ways To Fall

Livin' In A Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzt6mmBq6S8

Doyle Bramhall II - Chariot

The worst thing is that they only made 1 album.One of my all time favorites too.They were the real deal.

I was a huge fan of the Hip,their sound changed alot from their early works.Loved Road Apples,Fully Completely,Day for Night ,and their second cd which name escapes me now.The one with New orleans is Sinking,[came out years before Katrina].But what a tight band!

They were my choice as well. "Up To Here" is the album with "New Orleans Is Sinking" and the song was pulled from most radio playlists..at the bands request.. after Katrina. I'm really surprised that they didn't make it in the USA. Great music and lyrics... not top 40 stuff though. I like all they're stuff with "Day For Night" being my personal favorite.

They were my choice as well. "Up To Here" is the album with "New Orleans Is Sinking" and the song was pulled from most radio playlists..at the bands request.. after Katrina. I'm really surprised that they didn't make it in the USA. Great music and lyrics... not top 40 stuff though. I like all they're stuff with "Day For Night" being my personal favorite.

I liked Day for Night too, excellente

I would have to say king' X they really have really cool album Out of the silent Planet, Gretchen goes to Nebraska, Faith Hope Love, Dogman, Ear Candy those cd's really rocks!!

Another excellent choice, Ty Tabor is the goods.Well known band ,but never really made it big time.I always thought they were as good if not better than most of their contemporaries.

• 2 weeks later...
The Arc Angels. Stevie Ray Vaughan's Double Trouble rhythm section (Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton) plus Doyle Bramhall II and Charlie Sexton on guitar and vocals, two guys who were very close to SRV. Came out with their self-titled debut in 1992 two years after Stevie's death, but had a sound that went in a direction that had many more influences than Stevie. Broke up after only one album, though it did sell 300,000 copies. Every single song on that album is killer. Doyle II (whose dad Doyle Sr. helped Stevie write songs like Tightrope and The House Is Rocking along with writing SRV classics Change It and Life By The Drop) later wound up playing on Roger Waters's In The Flesh tour and later on was in Eric Clapton's band and is featured quite a bit on Clapton's Sessions For Robert J and the two Crossroads Festivals. Charlie Sexton went on to play with Bob Dylan, among others. And their solo work wasn't too bad either.

Shape I'm In

Too Many Ways To Fall

Livin' In A Dream

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzt6mmBq6S8

Doyle Bramhall II - Chariot

Not sure if you've ever seen it but the Before The Music Dies documentary is well worth seeing. Doyle Bramhall II is one of several artists featured but his story is particularly unique as he is continually denied being signed to a number of labels despite his inherent talent. A guitarist such as Doyle would have sparked a bidding war not so long ago but these days there is absolutely no interest in him on a corporate level.

61YJYYD2E4L._AA240_.jpg

Before the Music Dies Website

After Arc Angels split Double Trouble went on to back others (including Kenny Wayne Shepherd) but also helped formed the band Storyville who are very worthy of seeking out:

Storyville on MySpace

Anyone have an opinion on the Cars? Remember them (I like the night life baby). Good? Bad? Awfull?

I remember The Cars but would by no means refer to them as a band "that never really made it" since they pretty much helped to usher in the New Wave era when the commercial airwaves still weren't quite ready for the full on assault of punk rock.

I remember The Cars but would by no means refer to them as a band "that never really made it" since they pretty much helped to usher in the New Wave era when the commercial airwaves still weren't quite ready for the full on assault of punk rock.

That post was a mistake by me. I meant to post about a band called the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Have you ever seen or heard of them Jahfin?? I saw them once outdoors at a very small venue/

I don't know if they would qualify as the best band that never really made it but I think North Carolina's Nantucket are at least worthy of mentioning.

615MBZARS8L._AA240_.jpg

They started in the late 60s as Nantucket Sleighride, a name inspired by the Mountain song/album of the same name but soon shortened it to Nantucket. They played the bars in my area (eastern NC) very frequently when I was growing up but I never saw them in concert until they were second on a bill that included Cheap Trick and AC/DC (who headlined). Nantucket were riding high on the success of their Epic debut at the time and had just returned to NC following a successful run out west. It seems that just as quickly as they rose to doing gigs with the likes of Cheap Trick, AC/DC, Kiss and others, they began to sink. Towards the end, two members ("Pee Wee" Watson and Kenny Soule) formed a power trio named PKM (which also included guitarist Micheal Gardner) who would also be worthy of "bands that never really made it". Kenny also played drums with Dag and still plays with blues guitarist Walter Trout on occasion. I believe he and a couple of other members of Nantucket were also part of the original lineup of Cry of Love. These days Nantucket still does the occasional reunion show but their glory days have long since passed. Guitarist Tommy Redd recently contributed some side splitting commentary from Nantucket's days touring with AC/DC to a book called Let There Be Rock: The Story of AC/DC. You can read more about them at this unofficial website:

Nantucket's Official Unofficial Website

OP50721.jpg

Anyone remember the Ozark Mountain Daredevils?? I liked them.

That post was a mistake by me. I meant to post about a band called the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Have you ever seen or heard of them Jahfin?? I saw them once outdoors at a very small venue/

You've actually mentioned them twice (three times if you count the PM you just sent me). If ever you make a mistake you can use the edit feature to correct your post.

To answer your question, I like them but don't own any of their records, nor have I ever seen them in concert. Their song, If You Wanna Get To Heaven is used to great effect during the opening sequence to the cult classic documentary Dancin' Outlaw though. A definite must if you have never seen it. A few clips from the film are up on YouTube but I was unable to find the opening sequence to the movie where he's clogging to the Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

Hey Jahfin saw your mention of Dag in the other post.Bought one of their cds years back.Righteous.I lost track of them.they have another cd called Apartment635.I was wondering if you have heard it and what ever happened to them.I thought they were the real deal as a funk band.

Hey Jahfin saw your mention of Dag in the other post.Bought one of their cds years back.Righteous.I lost track of them.they have another cd called Apartment635.I was wondering if you have heard it and what ever happened to them.I thought they were the real deal as a funk band.

I have an advance of the first one drummer (Kenny Soule) gave me years ago at one of Nantucket's reunion gigs but I've never heard the second one. If you go to the sites listed below you can learn more about Kenny but only the first one addresses the demise of Dag:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DAG_(band)

http://www.kennysoule.com/html/about.php

http://www.2112online.com/nantucket/bio.html

Kenny Soule's MySpace site

I would have to say king' X they really have really cool album Out of the silent Planet, Gretchen goes to Nebraska, Faith Hope Love, Dogman, Ear Candy those cd's really rocks!!

I used to have about 3 Kings X cds, including Faith Hope Love - awesome band.

Saw them live here in my town at a local club - killer show.

Very clean sound and VERY loud. They produced a lot od sound for 3 guys!

I don't know if they would qualify as the best band that never really made it but I think North Carolina's Nantucket are at least worthy of mentioning.

615MBZARS8L._AA240_.jpg

They started in the late 60s as Nantucket Sleighride, a name inspired by the Mountain song/album of the same name but soon shortened it to Nantucket. They played the bars in my area (eastern NC) very frequently when I was growing up but I never saw them in concert until they were second on a bill that included Cheap Trick and AC/DC (who headlined). Nantucket were riding high on the success of their Epic debut at the time and had just returned to NC following a successful run out west. It seems that just as quickly as they rose to doing gigs with the likes of Cheap Trick, AC/DC, Kiss and others, they began to sink. Towards the end, two members ("Pee Wee" Watson and Kenny Soule) formed a power trio named PKM (which also included guitarist Micheal Gardner) who would also be worthy of "bands that never really made it". Kenny also played drums with Dag and still plays with blues guitarist Walter Trout on occasion. I believe he and a couple of other members of Nantucket were also part of the original lineup of Cry of Love. These days Nantucket still does the occasional reunion show but their glory days have long since passed. Guitarist Tommy Redd recently contributed some side splitting commentary from Nantucket's days touring with AC/DC to a book called Let There Be Rock: The Story of AC/DC. You can read more about them at this unofficial website:

Nantucket's Official Unofficial Website

OP50721.jpg

I really liked Nantucket a lot!

Thanks for the Kenny Soule info Would have liked to seen Dag live.

Here's a clip of Kenny back in his glory days with PKM at The Attic in Greenville, NC. If all goes well this clip (along with several others) will end up in a documentary about NC artists called Return To Comboland.

Archived