Underrated/overrated shows

Cosmic_Equilibrium

4 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I love the NA '71 tour, it's in my top 3 tours, but I've never really thought the LA shows stand out (there's a lot of support for them here).  I'll have to give them a second listen.  

I think 8-21 stands out mainly due to Robert having one of his best nights of the year, and of course famously shredding the fuck out of his voice on R+R at the end. Jimmy is on fire (basically a given in 71) and Bonzo is highly ... shall we say, energetic. There are definitely some unique versions of songs from 8-21 lol (listen closely to "Black Dog" and "Rock and Roll" to hear what I mean). The WLL love medley is great, and all the encores (Weekend!) are great.

As far as 8-22, I've already rambled about that one above. If you don't wanna hear the whole thing, I'd recommend checking out SIBLY, Black Dog and Dazed.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, BlyZeppelinaren said:

The most underrated show if you ask me is 70/09/19, the evening show, the recording is of course not great, but talk about an early peak with every single member of the band, amazing WLL and HMMT, Plant really was untouchable until 1972

he was  great at this time but I beg to differ, Ian Gillian from the 60's to mid 70's was something else. 

17 hours ago, BlyZeppelinaren said:

The most underrated show if you ask me is 70/09/19, the evening show, the recording is of course not great, but talk about an early peak with every single member of the band, amazing WLL and HMMT, Plant really was untouchable until 1972

I think among hardcore fans, this is one of the most beloved shows out there so not sure it's underrated? But I'm with you - this and Blueberry Hill are my go-to's for 1970.

On 5/18/2018 at 12:06 PM, tmtomh said:

For underrated, I'd throw in Tokyo 9-23-71. It's a well-regarded show, but still criminally overlooked in general because of the legendary 929 show. 929 has a slight edge because the setlist is so very unusual and interesting - but 9-23 is fully its equal performance-wise IMHO.

+1 This is my fav of the Japan 71 shows. I actually think it's a superior performance over 9-29.

On 3/2/2022 at 6:35 AM, lynxwizard said:

he was  great at this time but I beg to differ, Ian Gillian from the 60's to mid 70's was something else. 

That’s the thing about music. To my ears Ian has a terrible voice. It sounded as if he was trying to imitate someone and didn’t do a good job of it. Again I know there are lots of people that like/love that gentleman. But for me personally I can’t listen to him. His voice grates on me. I’ve tried listening to live as well as certainly having listened to their studio albums. Another example would be Chris Robinson, I’ve seen the Black Crowes several times, as well as having seen Chris solo. There are certain songs that I find enjoyable, as well love the band instrumentally. But there are other songs that his voice starts to bother the hell out of. 

As for Mr. Plant I find everyone of his incarnations to be just the best. Not to say he didn’t have several/plenty of off nights live. But that’s what happens when you play 3 plus hours and do 2 shows a night for the first year and a half of your career. But every album his voice matured into something slightly different and always sounded fantastic. 

For those who dig Ian, that’s awesome and he deserves it. 

On 11/11/2021 at 10:19 AM, June72 said:

For UK 72, both Newcastle and both Glasgow shows are fantastic. Brighton is arguably Plant's best night of the tour, I wish we had the rest of it. Both London nights are hot, the first is much better for P lant but he's fine at the second night and the band is amazing. The only show from the tour I'd call subpar is Brighton, where Plant is plain miserable. Jonesy does play the Rain Song on the organ though, so that's fun. The first night in Manchester as well as new Cardiff auds are grails for me. 

After listening to more shows from this tour off/on over the past 4 months, gotta say the Glasgow shows are terrific! I like 1/27/73 Dundee as well - especially towards the end of the show with better sound quality and Plant being in great voice. His voice starts off rough at Dundee, but once he gets warmed up he sounds great! As with most 73/75 shows, I reckon.  And agreed - if Manchester 12/7/72 ever surfaces, you just know it's gotta be a hot one. I have Cardiff on the listening list for today.

On 3/2/2022 at 11:58 AM, 1975NQ said:

I think among hardcore fans, this is one of the most beloved shows out there so not sure it's underrated? But I'm with you - this and Blueberry Hill are my go-to's for 1970.

100%! LOVE just about anything from 1970. What a time to be touring the USA. War raging in Viet Nam, Beatles, Hendrix, Janis, Kent State, Hippies, Protests, Black Panthers, and then band played on.....

On 3/8/2022 at 6:07 PM, The Only Way To Fly said:

100%! LOVE just about anything from 1970. What a time to be touring the USA. War raging in Viet Nam, Beatles, Hendrix, Janis, Kent State, Hippies, Protests, Black Panthers, and then band played on.....

Indeed they did! Any show from 1969 - 1971, I know I will enjoy. 😀