The Evolution Of The Drum Set

Ross62

4 hours ago, Ross62 said:

Enjoy.

My original teacher is on long service leave overseas so as his fill in I chose a guy who went to Juilliard although that's not why I chose him.It's because he was my old percussion teacher and he knows his stuff but he's cruisey too.

Sounds good. Wish I could, but I really can't afford a teacher these days. ☹️

On 11/9/2018 at 3:49 PM, Ross62 said:

^Funky.

I was asked to play the Bo Diddley beat recently and thought I had a fairly good idea of how to play it but it just wasn't sounding right.

So I found this..

Really cool to figure that out. :)

5 hours ago, Ross62 said:

Oh yeah,it's a curse being OCD and researching a lot of things but the band appreciates beats played right too. 

I'm working on the snare drum solos by Art Bernstein in Drumhead magazine. It's all the things I never learned before or the teachers didn't seem to think I needed to learn them. Paradiddles, flams, ruffs, drags, flam taps, long rolls, short rolls, dynamics, repeats, etc. It takes me a while, but I love figuring this stuff out. :)

On 11/17/2018 at 8:35 PM, redrum said:

I'm working on the snare drum solos by Art Bernstein in Drumhead magazine. It's all the things I never learned before or the teachers didn't seem to think I needed to learn them. Paradiddles, flams, ruffs, drags, flam taps, long rolls, short rolls, dynamics, repeats, etc. It takes me a while, but I love figuring this stuff out. :)

That stuff is a drummer's bread and butter as far as I'm concerned.And you can make what you're playing sound special by throwing one or more of those in.

Have fun,it's got to be good to keep the brain active. 

6 hours ago, Ross62 said:

That stuff is a drummer's bread and butter as far as I'm concerned.And you can make what you're playing sound special by throwing one or more of those in.

Have fun,it's got to be good to keep the brain active. 

Thanks, Ross. The snare solos aren't easy when he mixes it all up like he does, but it sure feels good to finally nail it. The metronome varies from 50-120 bpm.

• 1 month later...

^ Yeah,many instruments of death have been secreted in short hair 😲 ^

I nearly bought a set of 3 Roto-toms last week in a job lot of shitty old drums for $20 but I couldn't justify the cost of buying new heads for them versus the use they'd get.

21 hours ago, Ross62 said:

That was different.

Forgot to mention this.

A spinal injury in 1970 left the jazz percussionist permanently paralyzed from the waist down, and he would play the rest of his life seated in a specially designed wheelchair. His physical disability limited his international travels and festival appearances, but he frequently played with musicians who visited Japan. Most notable among these was saxophonist Steve Lacy, who performed and recorded extensively with Togashi during his 12 tours in Japan. One particular recording, Bura-Bura featuring Togashi and Lacy along with Don Cherry and Dave Holland, is a must-hear and has been reissued on two CDs by ALFA.

5 hours ago, redrum said:

Forgot to mention this.

A spinal injury in 1970 left the jazz percussionist permanently paralyzed from the waist down, and he would play the rest of his life seated in a specially designed wheelchair. His physical disability limited his international travels and festival appearances, but he frequently played with musicians who visited Japan. Most notable among these was saxophonist Steve Lacy, who performed and recorded extensively with Togashi during his 12 tours in Japan. One particular recording, Bura-Bura featuring Togashi and Lacy along with Don Cherry and Dave Holland, is a must-hear and has been reissued on two CDs by ALFA.

Alright 👍

A testament to the human spirit.