The Who Live

paplbojo

Just stumbled upon this video. Thought I would share. I'm relatively blown away by it. I have to say there is an energy and feeling here that I only ever previously thought Zeppelin could achieve. If Townshend were a better soloist this would seriously be up there. If this is what the Who are all about I guess it's about damn time I give them a try. Never really have. Also funny to me that in the comments verbatim is said about the who that we say about zep.

Someone mentions that Plant once said The Who is the most electrifying live band he ever saw (he surely was not going to say his band). Anyone ever hear about this? I tried searching and came up with nothing.

Anybig time Who fans out there who can vouch for best concert years for me to start digging around their bootlegs?

I'll end with the disclaimer that I live breathe and bleed Zeppelin and I'm not insinuating that this video has changed that. I'm pleasantly surprised that there might be another band out there that brings even 60-70% of what Zeppelin brought. 

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the Who's peak years in concert were 1971 and before. Live at Leeds, Woodstock, Isle of Wight, Monterey Pop, Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, and the early footage on "The Kids Are All Right" all attest to this.

My first Who concert was at the Forum on the Quadrophenia tour in 1973...right after Moon had collapsed in San Francisco. There was no momentum to the show as Pete took forever explaining the meaning and context of all the new Quadrophenia songs. Hardly anything from "Who's Next" or "The Who Sell Out" was played. A big letdown to me. This was not the Who I was expecting from seeing "Woodstock" and "Monterey Pop" and playing "Live at Leeds" non-stop.

The next Who concert I saw was at Anaheim Stadium in 1976. I think this was the "Who By Numbers" tour. The setlist was a little better, with old classics better integrated into the setlist along with the newer stuff. The Who were loud as fuck but the audience were raving assholes as there were countless fights breaking out that distracted from the show. Keith barely seemed coherent, although he played better than in 1973. But it was not a life-changing experience the way I hear people who saw The Who from 1967-'71 describe them. Or even the U.K. tour of 1974...look for the Charlton Football Club show as that's a good bootleg.

And, sadly, that was it...the next time I saw Keith Moon was on stage at Led Zeppelin's June 23, 1977 gig at the Forum. The next year he was dead.

I saw the 1979 tour with Kenny Jones and it was great on some songs and just okay on others. I'm sure Kenny was a relief of stability after the tempestuous Moon the Loon, but his drumming style brought nothing like Moon's exuberance to the band. This was also the tour where it really became noticeable that instead of a four-piece, the Who were using hidden backing musicians to beef up the sound.

Then, there was the 1982 stadium tour with the Clash opening. The Clash were the main reason I went as the Who were coming off that terrible "Face Dances" album. At this point, The Who joined the Rolling Stones as a stadium jukebox tribute band to themselves. Any edge, any danger, any sense of spontaneity was gone.

The worst Who show I saw was the supposed "farewell tour" in 1989. Pete played mostly acoustic guitar while backing musicians were once again used to beef up the sound. Even the Rolling Stones on the "Steel Wheels" tour that year sounded better than the Who.

So I don't have any memories of seismic, powerful Who performances. Certainly nothing like Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Prince, Jane's Addiction, Motörhead, Van Halen, and a few other bands I saw that delivered the goods.

But whenever I listen to any Who show from around 1969-1971, I can definitely hear a powerful band at work. It's just a shame they couldn't sustain that during the 1970s.

15 hours ago, Strider said:

I saw the 1979 tour with Kenny Jones and it was great on some songs and just okay on others. I'm sure Kenny was a relief of stability after the tempestuous Moon the Loon, but his drumming style brought nothing like Moon's exuberance to the band. This was also the tour where it really became noticeable that instead of a four-piece, the Who were using hidden backing musicians to beef up the sound.

The worst Who show I saw was the supposed "farewell tour" in 1989. Pete played mostly acoustic guitar while backing musicians were once again used to beef up the sound. Even the Rolling Stones on the "Steel Wheels" tour that year sounded better than the Who.

I saw these tours. The 1979 show I saw was the single best show I've seen. The one song encore of The Real Me was everything I love about rock distilled into 4 minutes.

A decade later, the 1989 farewell show was one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

16 hours ago, Strider said:

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that the Who's peak years in concert were 1971 and before. Live at Leeds, Woodstock, Isle of Wight, Monterey Pop, Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus, and the early footage on "The Kids Are All Right" all attest to this.

My first Who concert was at the Forum on the Quadrophenia tour in 1973...right after Moon had collapsed in San Francisco. There was no momentum to the show as Pete took forever explaining the meaning and context of all the new Quadrophenia songs. Hardly anything from "Who's Next" or "The Who Sell Out" was played. A big letdown to me. This was not the Who I was expecting from seeing "Woodstock" and "Monterey Pop" and playing "Live at Leeds" non-stop.

The next Who concert I saw was at Anaheim Stadium in 1976. I think this was the "Who By Numbers" tour. The setlist was a little better, with old classics better integrated into the setlist along with the newer stuff. The Who were loud as fuck but the audience were raving assholes as there were countless fights breaking out that distracted from the show. Keith barely seemed coherent, although he played better than in 1973. But it was not a life-changing experience the way I hear people who saw The Who from 1967-'71 describe them. Or even the U.K. tour of 1974...look for the Charlton Football Club show as that's a good bootleg.

And, sadly, that was it...the next time I saw Keith Moon was on stage at Led Zeppelin's June 23, 1977 gig at the Forum. The next year he was dead.

Then, there was the 1982 stadium tour with the Clash opening. The Clash were the main reason I went as the Who were coming off that terrible "Face Dances" album. At this point, The Who joined the Rolling Stones as a stadium jukebox tribute band to themselves. Any edge, any danger, any sense of spontaneity was gone.

So I don't have any memories of seismic, powerful Who performances. Certainly nothing like Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Prince, Jane's Addiction, Motörhead, Van Halen, and a few other bands I saw that delivered the goods.

But whenever I listen to any Who show from around 1969-1971, I can definitely hear a powerful band at work. It's just a shame they couldn't sustain that during the 1970s.

Nice, thanks, that's what I was interested to hear. Unbelievable that you were at the June 23 show...

57 minutes ago, tyler19 said:

I saw these tours. The 1979 show I saw was the single best show I've seen. The one song encore of The Real Me was everything I love about rock distilled into 4 minutes.

A decade later, the 1989 farewell show was one of the worst shows I've ever seen.

Did you ever see Zep live? 

19 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Nice, thanks, that's what I was interested to hear. Unbelievable that you were at the June 23 show...

Did you ever see Zep live? 

Unfortunately not. Had a seat in a box for Zeppelin's Montreal who set for October 17, 1980 but we all know how that went.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived