1/22/73 Southampton multitrack

Sticks of Fire

Has anyone ever notice the technical difficulties during Whole Lotta Love and Heartbreaker?  

The problems begin right before the theramn solo with the guitar cutting out on the recording.   The for 99% of the Theramin solo the theramin is barely audible.  It cuts back in with only a few notes left for the theramin part. 

The same problems can be heard for the first couple minutes of Heartbreaker.  Sounds like a defective mic cutting in and out.   I’m not sure these issues can be fixed for an Official release. 

EDIT:  It sounds like JPH bass goes out for a while during Heartbreaker too. Before the solo.

Edited by Sticks of Fire

That's interesting and will have to take another listen to this show as I have and been a while since I heard it.  It's a good show but not incredible.  Not at their best as so much more for the European dates, when they were just so amazing within two months time!  Best Led Zeppelin ever was as a band for the three of them.. Plant was good and better than during the UK dates but certainly not like he was in early 1972 or prior.

This may explain why Page certainly favored the Cali dates for HTWWW over this for release on the cds.  It;s also a better performance overall.  This show does have a unique setlist and changed each night during the UK tour, which is pretty cool.  Like Japan 1971 and 1972 to an extent!

2 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Has anyone ever notice the technical difficulties during Whole Lotta Love and Heartbreaker?  

The problems begin right before the theramn solo with the guitar cutting out on the recording.   The for 99% of the Theramin solo the theramin is barely audible.  It cuts back in with only a few notes left for the theramin part. 

The same problems can be heard for the first couple minutes of Heartbreaker.  Sounds like a defective mic cutting in and out.   I’m not sure these issues can be fixed for an Official release. 

EDIT:  It sounds like JPH bass goes out for a while during Heartbreaker too. Before the solo.

They could probably just overdub a different bass track (from another multi track). Ditto for the theremin?

6 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Seems like he changes bass guitar because of these problems...First Jazz, than the infamous V and the precision is next

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

I listened to this whole show the other day and sadly with the Thank You and the HMMT/CB I fear this is the multitrack release Page references.    Not Japan 1971

He also said he was checking outa D and C from 73. 

Where did he mention HMMT/CB? 

I’m not bothered as long as EV release the Japan soundboard. Because let’s face it, Jimmy will cut out all the medleys anyway. 

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

He also said he was checking outa D and C from 73. 

Where did he mention HMMT/CB? 

I’m not bothered as long as EV release the Japan soundboard. Because let’s face it, Jimmy will cut out all the medleys anyway. 

True about Jimmy cutting everything but at this point he’s doing better because EV has only released one song.  Lol.  

Jimmy has only mentioned a 1973 Dazed, not HMMT/CB. 

I have always had a "eh, it's okay" response when listening to Southampton '73. I thank the Zeppelin Gods for Jimmy finding those 1972 LA/Long Beach tapes in the nick of time.

There are some good moments and some interesting moments...the mellotron solo and use during "Thank You".

But mainly I think of far greater shows before and after Southampton. The spectacular sound does nothing for me. I would rather listen to a great show with average sound than an average show with great sound.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

I have always had a "eh, it's okay" response when listening to Southampton '73. I thank the Zeppelin Gods for Jimmy finding those 1972 LA/Long Beach tapes in the nick of time.

There are some good moments and some interesting moments...the mellotron solo and use during "Thank You".

But mainly I think of far greater shows before and after Southampton. The spectacular sound does nothing for me. I would rather listen to a great show with average sound than an average show with great sound.

Absolutely agree, Southampton is a good show, not bad, not great. The fidelity fluctuates all over the place too I presume because it was a work in progress when it got out to Empress Valley or whoever put it out first. I really think the biggest challenge with preparing any show after 72 for release is Plants erratic vocal performances. Europe 73 has some of the most inspired interactive playing ever , but Plant is cracking all over the place on every show. Seems like a lot of surgery would have to be done to the vocal tracks. I'll take Japan 71 over Southampton in a NY second. No contest. 

I listened to Southampton today as I had the car coincidentally (its one of the albums on my phone) up to Dazed.

I love how stellar the sound quality is which is why its on my phone and gets a run every now and then, but as you say Strider, it really is an average show. They seem very reserved. Like they are nervous as they know this is being recorded for a possible live release. There are definitely moments and highlights, but so reserved....

Of all the things I think might be coming, this prospect excites me the least. We have an outstanding boot of a very average performance.

I agree with what you guys said.   Too bad Page doesn’t put out a Historical Series where the audio quality isn’t as important and he could release all the early soundboards he has.  

I’ll be happy if South Hampton gets a professional release ONLY if he releases the Japan shows and others as well

Edited by Sticks of Fire

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

So when this tape was lifted from Jimmy's home, was it already mixed down or did the bootleggers mix and master the tapes on their own? Considering it's a bootlegged multitracked, shouldn't there be isolated instrument tracks floating around?

This was stolen at the time if the DVD & HTWWW. So it was already mixed down.  The 8mm home movies of Headley Grange and Sydney and one of the isolated cameras from RAH were stolen too at the same time. 

Edited by Sticks of Fire

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Page Les Paul said:

Can anyone supply me with a link to download this show? I tried to use one that was provided by Led Zeppelin Boots on YouTube but it does not seem to work. Specifically looking for the Winston remaster. Thanks in advance!

PM sent.