Benazir Bhutto is dead.

Ishita

:( Tragic ... Bhutto was a brave person. She will be missed. Her eternal optimisim for her country is so admirable. I hope her followers can come together to carry out her wishes for a demcracy. there is always hope.

a tidbit: I was listening to an interview of Mrs. Kennedy (not sure which one I'm sorry)..but her classmate at Harvard. She said only weeks ago, Bhutto had called her up to ask about the essay that everyone was to write for their upcoming 30 year Harvard reunion. Bhutto asked "i forgot how many words it should be, and whatever do i have to write about myself???" (not exact quote) amazing.

Qaeda network expands base in Pakistan

By Carlotta Gall Published: December 29, 2007

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan: The Qaeda network accused by Pakistan's government of killing the opposition leader Benazir Bhutto is increasingly made up not of foreign fighters but of homegrown Pakistani militants bent on destabilizing the country, analysts and security officials here say.

In previous years Pakistani militants directed their energies against American and NATO forces across the border in Afghanistan and avoided clashes with the Pakistani Army.

But this year they have very clearly expanded their ranks and turned to a direct confrontation with the Pakistani security forces while also aiming at political figures like Bhutto, the former prime minister who died when a suicide bomb exploded as she left a political rally Thursday.

According to American officials in Washington, an already steady stream of threat reports spiked in recent months. Many concerned possible plots to kill prominent Pakistani leaders, including Bhutto, President Pervez Musharraf and Nawaz Sharif, another opposition leader.

"Al Qaeda right now seems to have turned its face toward Pakistan and attacks on the Pakistani government and Pakistani people," Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters in Washington on Dec. 21.

Qaeda network expands base in Pakistan

She appealed to Musharraf for more protection. It wasn't provided (at least that's what I'm hearing on the news). Just because a military dictator is appearing to endeavor toward a democracy doesn't rule out the possibility Al Qeada is taking credit for an atrocity it didn't commit. Regardless of the politics, this is a tragedy and the world must now hold its breath yet again. Pray the country doesn't fall into civil war. Pray people. Pray to whatever power or god you believe in.

Dude, seriously, shut up. Levee's been here a lot longer than you have, and he is easily one of the most respected members here. Don't speak when you know nothing about what you're talking about.

People have told me you've got bigger issues to concern yourself with than my right to speak. Straighten OUT, I mean up.

Bhutto's homeland smolders with rage

ASHRAF KHAN

Associated Press Writer

ALONG THE LARKANA-KARACHI HIGHWAY — Three days after Benazir Bhutto's killing, driving through her home province is a perilous experience. Charred vehicles, felled trees and rocks litter the highway, and nervous travelers paste her portrait to their cars to appease prowling mobs.

ALONG THE LARKANA-KARACHI HIGHWAY

News is now breaking about the attempt to assassinate Nawaz Sharif and the assassination of Benazir Bhutto in Rawalpindi. Most Pakistan observers I have been speaking with envision a dramatic further deterioration in Pakistan, largely the result of Musharraf’s decision to trash restructuring plans in favor of military rule. The assassination of Bhutto, whose Pakistan People’s Party had the loyalty and support of the nation’s aspiring middle class, is a tragic development and it presages still more instability. Condoleeza Rice and her senior advisors correctly understood that forcing Bhutto into a marriage of convenience with Musharraf was the only available tactic that would shore up and legitimize the general’s rule. Unfortunately they acted too late on this, and in the end their resolve was characteristically weak. Musharraf saw the writing on the wall, and he recognized that the real say in the Cheney Shogunate is held by Dick Cheney, not Condi Rice. So Musharraf welched on his promises and sent Pakistan spiraling down the maelstrom in which it now finds itself. This is more bitter fruit from America’s grossly mismanaged foreign policy in the age of Bush. More to come.

In Pakistan, The Meltdown Begins

Someone in this thread needs to learn how to talk to my friends. Because seeing how they're being talked down to by basically a troll.....kinda sorta pisses me off. And said person better not even attempt to PM me, because they won't be happy if they do.

If Mona wants to discuss things going on in her life with her friends on this board, that's her right. You don't have to read it, and you sure as hell don't have to insult her for doing it.

Someone in this thread needs to learn how to talk to my friends. Because seeing how they're being talked down to by basically a troll.....kinda sorta pisses me off. And said person better not even attempt to PM me, because they won't be happy if they do.

If Mona wants to discuss things going on in her life with her friends on this board, that's her right. You don't have to read it, and you sure as hell don't have to insult her for doing it.

Thank you, Electrophile.

And now, SteveAJones, I will be going to the mods and complaining about your behavior. I know I will not be the only one.

Bombers killed in Pakistan's Punjab

Sun, 30 Dec 2007 09:51:52

Two bombers have been killed when their bomb was prematurely detonated near the residence of a Pakistan Muslim League Party leader.

The incident took place in the city of Bahawalnagar in the eastern province of Punjab, AP reported.

The suspected bombers were on a motorcycle, not far away from the residence of Ejaz-ul-Haq, a senior leader of Pakistan Muslim League Party. Haq was not at home when the attackers struck.

It was the first blast since the assassination of the leader of Pakistan People's Party Benazir Bhutto on Thursday.

Haq was the minister for religious affairs in July when the Pakistani army killed over 100 people in a military operation against the Red Mosque in Islamabad, which had become the center of protests by radical students.

www.presstv.ir

eternal light, thank you for posting all of these news clips and keeping us all up to date.

I hadn't ever heard of Bhutto before she came back to Pakistan after her exile back in october, but for some reason her death has been really bothering me, even though I don't know a whole lot about Pakistani politics.

I really hope things get better over there soon. :(

eternal light, thank you for posting all of these news clips and keeping us all up to date.

I hadn't ever heard of Bhutto before she came back to Pakistan after her exile back in october, but for some reason her death has been really bothering me, even though I don't know a whole lot about Pakistani politics.

I really hope things get better over there soon. :(

I wish the best for the Pakistani people the best as well in this tragic set of events, especially our Zep friends here.

Not that I would ever wish such ill will but Bhutto certainly was no saint.

She was out of the country after a number of heavy corruption charges including those relating to vast sums of money unaccounted while she was in previously in power as PM.

The cynical me thinks she came back to Pakistan more to save face for herself and her hubby (who also was part of her government). The image that she was somehow a saviour was more propaganda and media-creation. She her self making gross exagerations on how much of a following she really had in Pakistan. She just happened to be the strongest opponent to the two-timing Musharraf at this time.

I wish the best for the Pakistani people the best as well in this tragic set of events, especially our Zep friends here.

Not that I would ever wish such ill will but Bhutto certainly was no saint.

She was out of the country after a number of heavy corruption charges including those relating to vast sums of money unaccounted while she was in previously in power as PM.

The cynical me thinks she came back to Pakistan more to save face for herself and her hubby (who also was part of her government). The image that she was somehow a saviour was more propaganda and media-creation. She her self making gross exagerations on how much of a following she really had in Pakistan. She just happened to be the strongest opponent to the two-timing Musharraf at this time.

Nobody is perfect, especially not politicians. Still, she did have a lot of good traits as well, I think. What makes me uneasy isn't so much that she was killed (a lot of public figures are,) but what it implies and what is happening now and what will happen as a result. I just don't like it.

Considering the political climate in that part of the world, I think the idea of trying to stage a rock concert there was the last thing anyone was thinking about. What they need is peace, safety, security....not Led Zeppelin.

Well the Politicians always get it wrong, the hyprocies of them all, I expect she was as corrupt as most of them, but killing isn't the answer and maybe music is a way, because that area is very unstable and living in the middle east region for 3 years I know that its so difficult trying to broach the subject of the problems of the area without getting your head bitten off.

I am glad that the member Minelle from our forum is ok and not caught up in it though !!

The great thing about this is we all have our opinions however polls apart from one another but we at least can say it without the fear of being shot or whatever !!

More than one someone in this thread is beneath my notice and unworthy of a PM from me until they make a personal attack in a public forum, which the guidelines prohibit.

People have told me you've got bigger issues to concern yourself with than my right to speak. Straighten OUT, I mean up.

Now you've gone too far. Who the fuck do you think you are?

By the way, levee's got a point. If you can't contribute to this thread by anything else than idiotic and insensitive comments, why do you contribute at all? Some people who have posted in this thread are affected by the discussed situation far more than you or me; joking about it in a way you did is rather uncalled-for. You do have the right to speak = you do have the right to behave like a jerk, as you did in this case, but that requires being able to bear the consequences. By this post you've clearly showed that you really miss this ability.

Now you've gone too far. Who the fuck do you think you are?

By the way, levee's got a point. If you can't contribute to this thread by anything else than idiotic and insensitive comments, why do you contribute at all? Some people who have posted in this thread are affected by the discussed situation far more than you or me; joking about it in a way you did is rather uncalled-for. You do have the right to speak = you do have the right to behave like a jerk, as you did in this case, but that requires being able to bear the consequences. By this post you've clearly showed that you really miss this ability.

Thank you, Kat.

And SteveAJones, she is right. I'm going to block you now. I suggest you do the same to me, since you hate me so much. :wave:

Archived