Super stars - Graf Zeppelin

Tainted cheese

Hello there,

I am hopeful about this new release Coming out soon, or just a few days ago, as Graf Z. reported that their release of Japan Sept, 24, '71 is using a new source! I'm a sucker when it comes to these reports, but oh boy would a new source without the overloaded bass be a bonus. Has anyone out there verified this yet?  Thanks 

my copy is underway ...You might want to check the two tracks (Heartbreaker and Thank You) from the new stereo AUD source  in the 'Best 71 and 72 Japan boots' thread on this website.  I liked them, so I made the jump. The sound resembles the Front Row recording from the previous night quite a bit: The bass still a bit on the hot side but not overbearing and also less prone to flutter. Not in the same league as the first 50 minutes  from 923 released on Timeless Rock (WT), but very enjoyable.Judge yourself

I agree with duckman. This new source is much better than the TDOLZ release. Still a bit heavy on the bass, and slightly distant, but nowhere near as harsh and much clearer and crisp. I've actually been in the minority on this show in terms of sound, as I've always preferred the sound of Source 4 (used on Disc 1 of the TDOLZ release and Disc 4 of the Scorpio release) over Source 5 (used for the remainder of TDOLZ). The latter is just too overloaded on the bass for my enjoyment. Source 4 may be bright and "squashed", but at least it has a better balance. I can only hope this new source is complete with no major cuts.

On 24.3.2018 at 4:41 AM, ZepHead315 said:

I agree with duckman. This new source is much better than the TDOLZ release. Still a bit heavy on the bass, and slightly distant, but nowhere near as harsh and much clearer and crisp. I've actually been in the minority on this show in terms of sound, as I've always preferred the sound of Source 4 (used on Disc 1 of the TDOLZ release and Disc 4 of the Scorpio release) over Source 5 (used for the remainder of TDOLZ). The latter is just too overloaded on the bass for my enjoyment. Source 4 may be bright and "squashed", but at least it has a better balance. I can only hope this new source is complete with no major cuts.

On 24.3.2018 at 2:00 AM, Tainted cheese said:

Thanks, promising, is it stereo or mono? Could you tell me more about where to hear this sampler, as I searched that phrase you gave me in this forum with no luck.

thanks

Aren`t these TWO new sources? It contains 3 CDs in mono & 3 CDs in stereo, any thougts?

Damn, still I have to wait another ten days for my copy.

4 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Aren`t these TWO new sources? It contains 3 CDs in mono & 3 CDs in stereo, any thougts?

Damn, still I have to wait another ten days for my copy.

Do we know for a fact that both of these sources are new? The post on Argenteum Astrum is inconclusive.

This six disc sourced from the second Tokyo show that took place on September 24th, 1971 contains one mono and stereo audience source. It is not known yet if any of tapes included with this new release are either upgrade or unheard material.

My copy arrived yesterday and it's fair to say the mono source sounds pretty much identical to what I remember from the first Light and Shade on TDOLZ. Last evening I worked my way through  a couple of tracks from both the mono and stereo source and now I'm listening to the stereo source. with a good set of headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 770)

the new stereo source is really great . A pity Black Dog and Since are missing on the new stereo source. There's a tad of hiss and Jonesy is slightly boomy. But on the whole it's  dynamic, powerful and clear. Definitive indeed...:hurrah:

9 hours ago, duckman said:

My copy arrived yesterday and it's fair to say the mono source sounds pretty much identical to what I remember from the first Light and Shade on TDOLZ. Last evening I worked my way through  a couple of tracks from both the mono and stereo source and now I'm listening to the stereo source. with a good set of headphones (Beyerdynamic DT 770)

the new stereo source is really great . A pity Black Dog and Since are missing on the new stereo source. There's a tad of hiss and Jonesy is slightly boomy. But on the whole it's  dynamic, powerful and clear. Definitive indeed...:hurrah:

Thanks for your review, duckman. Can`t wait to hear this new stereo source, still 7 days til it arrives.......

About the Graf Zeppelin mono source: Is Disc 2 & 3 that bad like the Light & Shade version?  I have the 1997 TDOLZ remastered version, but I don`t remember it being mono. I think I remember the bad bass/tomtom distortion mostly on the right channel- I`ll check that tomorrow.

9 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Thanks for your review, duckman. Can`t wait to hear this new stereo source, still 7 days til it arrives.......

About the Graf Zeppelin mono source: Is Disc 2 & 3 that bad like the Light & Shade version?  I have the 1997 TDOLZ remastered version, but I don`t remember it being mono. I think I remember the bad bass/tomtom distortion mostly on the right channel- I`ll check that tomorrow.

You're Welcome, autumn moon!

To be frank, I can't  A B the mono cd's against Light and Shade anymore. I sold that TDOLZ  set 15 years ago. What I do remember was the distortion and the fact it was mono. Although a definite improvement on the old Afternoon Daze source, I found it tiresome, so I got rid of it.

i must also admit I enjoy last year releases ...I have to get back to the early nineties for this level of excitement.

4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Guys would love a link if you could be so generous.....

I was happy to share Immigrant Song from the 929 board with some fellows here on the forum, but I'm not that kind of a computer wiz (and also I just don't have the time)  to convert three hours worth of sound files to WAV, FLAC and then get them in the air.

Don't dispair my friends, some of the other more computer proficient forum members  will be glad to share this magnificent find in a couple of days:gimmefive:

Archived