How The West Was Won Remastered Reviews/Thoughts

paplbojo

2 hours ago, jsj said:

Does anyone know what royalty percentage or cash payment a songwriter might expect to receive or insist on, or for having their song included on a L.Z live album. For example Louie Louie, Hello Mary Lou etc? Removing these songs is a disappointment for sure. Would the cost really be so prohibitive?

Depends on what they/their lawyers negotiate.  Could be a lump sum based on projected sales and the length of the clip, could be a percentage.  I should imagine lots of wrangling, and big money involved. Just look at the recent Stairway to Heaven fishing expedition by Taurus.

When you consider how badly the Stones screwed The Verve for Bittersweet Symphony (they made not a penny from that song, until Jagger and Richards relented last year I think..) you can see how difficult and long winded negotiations might be.

Then also consider that Page grumbled about Charlie Jones and Michael Lee getting writing credits for Walking into Clarksdale, he probably objects to any amount being taken....

...so the songs get taken out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 5:29 PM, woz70 said:

It's such a shame too. Those live medleys are some of the most inspired and fun aspects of the gig. Hearing what they do on the boots, I can only imagine what they were rehearsing or sound checking with. If what they did on that 1973 or 1975 soundcheck was normal routine for them - God knows what tunes they ran through. 

3 hours ago, Brigante said:

I can't stand those moping clods, the Verve, but wasn't it Andrew Loog Oldham, not Jagger & Richards, who screwed them over Bittersweet Symphony, because it was his string arrangement they'd lifted?

No, it was actually Allen Klein, the stones’ manager, although Loog Oldham did sue later over royalties. Sounds like the whole thing was a bit of a clusterf**k, until May 2019.

On 3/29/2020 at 3:29 PM, woz70 said:

Depends on what they/their lawyers negotiate.  Could be a lump sum based on projected sales and the length of the clip, could be a percentage.  I should imagine lots of wrangling, and big money involved. Just look at the recent Stairway to Heaven fishing expedition by Taurus.

When you consider how badly the Stones screwed The Verve for Bittersweet Symphony (they made not a penny from that song, until Jagger and Richards relented last year I think..) you can see how difficult and long winded negotiations might be.

Then also consider that Page grumbled about Charlie Jones and Michael Lee getting writing credits for Walking into Clarksdale, he probably objects to any amount being taken....

Jimmy is quite the Led Wallet and a decision based on such for not including the medleys is self defeating no? After all, better to get 60% of something than 0% of nothing. Especially now as everything is pretty much streaming, iTunes, etc. It would not be a similar scale to The Verve as streaming did not exist and people still bought physical media. Now the majority buy a song here, a song there from an album so the negotiation would have to be sales for WLL ONLY, they could not get royalties from a full album sale.

Edited by PeaceFrogYum