What headphones do you use?

gibsonfan159

35 minutes ago, redrum said:

I have the Shure SRH440's with detachable cord. Frequency response is 20-20,000 Hz. They sound great.

I had 2 pair of Sony phones and the cheap shits always went out on me.

The best sounding cans I remember having were Sony and one ear went out after a year. I got some AKG 271 studio monitors to use for home recording, but have hardly used them. Gonna put them on Ebay and get a different pair for listening.

4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

The best sounding cans I remember having were Sony and one ear went out after a year. I got some AKG 271 studio monitors to use for home recording, but have hardly used them. Gonna put them on Ebay and get a different pair for listening.

That's what happened with my Sony's. Good sound, but cheaply made.

x018TRiPRTB.jpeg

I'll brag on my Bose Around-Ear headphones. They're light enough that I can wear them for more than just a few songs without ear discomfort. Good Bass. They were $100 when I bought them at Sam's a number of years ago.

Specifications
Quality Bose® audio from a comfortable, around-ear headphone design.
Proprietary TriPort® acoustic headphone structure for tonally-balanced sound, including low notes, from lightweight earcups..
Total weight with audio cables only 5 oz. (142 g)

The unique TriPort® acoustic headphone structure faithfully reproduces deep, full low notes without requiring the artificial bass boost function found on many portable players.

Advanced ergonomics and lightweight design define the stylish Bose® around-ear headphones. Soft ear cushions gently fit around your ear for hours of comfortable listening.

I don't like wearing ear buds for very long, so I rarely use them.

8 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

AKG K240 studio - relatively inexpensive, but good quality.

Do these have a flat frequency response? My 271's are great for mixing audio, but I find them rather lifeless when just wanting to listen.

20 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

AKG K240 studio - relatively inexpensive, but good quality.

12 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Do these have a flat frequency response? My 271's are great for mixing audio, but I find them rather lifeless when just wanting to listen.

Here are the specs:

AKG K240 Studio Monitoring Headphones Features:

Incredible-sounding headphones designed for mixing, tracking, and critical listening

Semi-open-back design provides extreme accuracy without sacrificing acoustical isolation

Self-adjusting headband gives you the perfect fit without sacrificing comfort

10' cable attaches via mini XLR jack and is easily replaceable

Replacement earcups are available

Includes gold-plated, screw-on 1/8"-1/4" plug adapter

Tech Specs:

Open/Closed:Semi-open

Fit Style:Circumaural (Around the Ear)

Driver Size:30mm

Frequency Response:15Hz-25kHz

Impedance:55 ohms

Cable Type:Straight

Replaceable Cable:Yes

Cable Length:9.8'

Plug Size:1/8" plug, 1/4" adapter

Color:Black

Weight: 0.52 lbs.

Manufacturer Part Number:

2058X00130

Further testimonial:

"Improve your mixing, mastering, and playback experience by choosing the K240 Studio semi-open, over-ear professional headphones. The Varimotion diaphragms of the transducers provide a wide dynamic range, heightened sensitivity, and crisp sound. Thanks to the classic semi-open design, you can enjoy both highs and bass with no quality compromise. The adjustable headband and around-the-ear pads increase the comfort level for long wear. The cable included has a convertible jack plug to connect to portable studios, keyboards, drum machines, or other project studio gear, and it comes with a professional mini-jack connector that allows you to replace the cable with ease."

My personal opinion - I really like them, esp. for the cost. I've always been very fond of AKG's headphones. Yes, they play up the mixing angle in their description, but I just use them for regular listening. I love the detail and the volume they deliver. Yes, you can pay a lot more for ones that may be more powerful, but if you want good quality without breaking the bank, these are quite good.

My $0.02... :)

10 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Sony MDR 7506. They're about 150 bucks. Always liked this series, glad I could still get 'em, I wore out my old pair

mdr7506_1024x1024.png?v=1515352576

yea! these are my go-to's at home. if they have any flaws at all, its that the padding flakes off with moderate use.

61fxcEdf+XL._SX425_.jpg

sony g45's are my outdoor ones.  over the ear,/behind neck and feel like youre wearing nothing.

6 hours ago, Big Klu said:

61fxcEdf+XL._SX425_.jpg

sony g45's are my outdoor ones.  over the ear,/behind neck and feel like youre wearing nothing.

"Feels like you're wearing nothing at all..."

Great. Ready to use that line with a Lady Godiva themed G45 ad!

Here's the model:

259108674.jpg

Never had a pair that didn't eventually short out someway somehow.  Using a pair of Sony headphones now that were less than $40 bucks.  I remember trying out a pair of top-end Bose & Harman Kardon at the time, and my ears couldn't tell the difference.  The ear pads are starting to dry out and flake though.  Seems to be a common problem with them.

Just had a hearing test this Winter.  Pretty glum diagnosis on the high end.  All traced to a bout with the measles at 17.  A disease that was once on the verge of eradication, but brought back by the direct result of stupid people.  

Archived