VInyl Bootleg questions!

Big Klu

I recently got a hold of a recently deceased relative's vinyl collection and pretty stoked to find some zep bootlegs in there. not a crazy surprise as he had baddass taste (uriah heep, dpurple, rundgren, early genesis, mahavishnu, sparks, humble pie)..all that great not-overplayed by classic rock radio type of stuff.

i only collected zep boots in the digital age so i got some questions for vinyl era peoples!

- artsy packaging is practically non-existent, blank sleeves with maybe a label stamped written or typed/ glued on. in some cases its just a basic center label on the record that tells whats on it. good luck knowing the actual date of the gig. are these just janky boots, knockoff boots, or actually kinda what you'd expect at the time?

- this version of blueberry hill 70 i have is way under-speed to my ears. were weird speed variations just expected with bootlegs?

- the art of not effing up the inner-sleeve paper when putting back records will be mastered by me ??

anyways what i think i have are [after trying to figure out what disc went with what sleeve]

blueberry hill 70

mudslide 70

...something from 73 usa tour. not sure what this one is.

listen to this eddie 77

so yea 'common' stuff, but its cool have the real deals from way back when. B)

Most if not all early boots were in plain sleeves with a rubber stamped title on the front and a loose A4 sheet with the title contents, often on coloured vinyl labels just had a number on them.  TMQ used pastel coloured sleeves with sticker with a pic of a pig.

Blue boot.png

Blueberry.jpg

going-to-1.jpg

LPHIH1.jpg

Red Boot.png

On 3/27/2018 at 1:25 AM, JTM said:

Most if not all early boots were in plain sleeves with a rubber stamped title on the front and a loose A4 sheet with the title contents, often on coloured vinyl labels just had a number on them.  TMQ used pastel coloured sleeves with sticker with a pic of a pig.

going-to-1.jpg

ooooh yup, thats it!

On 3/27/2018 at 11:13 AM, badgeholder said:

The '73 one is probably either Seattle (7-17), Bonzo's birthday (5-31) or Three Days After (6-3), those were the early ones from '73

hehehe yeah its bonzos b-day, i heard the plant/crowd singalong.

On 3/27/2018 at 1:47 PM, Moby_Dick_Ale said:

Hi Big Klu, find all your info on vinyl boots on this excellent site: http://www.argenteumastrum.com ---> click "bootlegs" ---> vinyl bootleg discography.

holy ballsface. thats on point.

thanks all B)

As a freshman college student in Austin in the Fall of 1973, there were many new things to investigate. And one of those was hole in the wall record stores on "The Drag". And it was there, one afternoon, that I discovered bootleg LPs. Living in a suburb of Dallas, I had no idea these even existed.

One of the very first, if not the first bootleg I bought, was BONZO'S BIRTHDAY PARTY (TRADE MARK OF QUALITY TMOQ 72007) and THREE DAYS AFTER (TRADE MARK OF QUALITY TMOQ 72016). The only time I had ever seen colored vinyl was on some children's records many years before.

What an incredible joy it was to hear for the first time on record, Plantations, and the wonderful Medleys, and the improvisations.

I fell in love with LZ all over again.

I naively thought, why haven't the Radio stations back in Dallas played these great live LZ tracks? ? ?

1 hour ago, The Rover said:

As a freshman college student in Austin in the Fall of 1973, there were many new things to investigate. And one of those was hole in the wall record stores on "The Drag". And it was there, one afternoon, that I discovered bootleg LPs. Living in a suburb of Dallas, I had no idea these even existed.

One of the very first, if not the first bootleg I bought, was BONZO'S BIRTHDAY PARTY (TRADE MARK OF QUALITY TMOQ 72007) and THREE DAYS AFTER (TRADE MARK OF QUALITY TMOQ 72016). The only time I had ever seen colored vinyl was on some children's records many years before.

What an incredible joy it was to hear for the first time on record, Plantations, and the wonderful Medleys, and the improvisations.

I fell in love with LZ all over again.

I naively thought, why haven't the Radio stations back in Dallas played these great live LZ tracks? ? ?

With my modest adolescent pocket money I could not afford these exotic TMOQ double albums. In the Dutch record store I sometimes asked to listen to some of them and then buy something cheaper... But could you enlighten us on the inclusion of the Californian radio  ad on BBirthday or 3 days after ? ( I have faint memories of hearing a commercial on one of the two the vinyl albums)

20 minutes ago, duckman said:

With my modest adolescent pocket money I could not afford these exotic TMOQ double albums. In the Dutch record store I sometimes asked to listen to some of them and then buy something cheaper... But could you enlighten us on the inclusion of the Californian radio  ad on BBirthday or 3 days after ? ( I have faint memories of hearing a commercial on one of the two the vinyl albums)

I can't enlighten you, but anything's possible. I sold those boots a number of years ago, so I cant' tell you. When I bought them, in college, I wasn't dating, so yeah, I had the extra cash to do that...

1 hour ago, duckman said:

Prunes, I'd almost forgotten that one. It's on BBP, going to have to dig it out..

Archived