Was Heart's "Little Queen" the closest thing to a Zep album by another band?

gibsonfan159

On 4/3/2018 at 8:15 AM, Crimson Avenger said:

That slightly faceicious observation aside, I'm not sure what a Led Zeppelin album sounds like. No two zep albums sounded the same, which was kinda the point. If you try to copy it, you fail by definition.

I agree with this perspective.  A Zeppelin-like album to me would represent one that is not afraid to jump all over the place with different styles and experiments without losing the hard-hitting, bluesy influence.  I'd throw The White Stripes' Icky Thump out there as an example.  Jack White is willing to throw a lot at the wall to see what sticks in the same way that Zeppelin did.  More of the spirit of Zeppelin as opposed to slavish imitation.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been absorbed by Greta all week.....just discovered them!

Plant just acknowledged them "the little guy"  "out of detroit"

no upstate Mich

THEY ARE the closest SO FAR!!!   and I believe they will find their inner muse..THEY DO have a couple of GREAT songs....Sanctify/Highway song

NO ONE has ever gotten this CLOSE in my opinion.....its ALL about the voice

you really can't find much of them live doing Zep anymore on the net..their wiping it....cuz they know everyone is

comparing and they know they need to tread.........differently, I'd wager

and yeah,,,,i agree..I hear Geddy/Axl

the kid on the ax creams Page live anyday....but he isn't the majician composer .....yet

front man needs the hair too

I'm luvin it and I love their vibe....they seem very healthy and INFORMED

On 4/5/2018 at 7:19 PM, LordStanley said:

I agree with this perspective.  A Zeppelin-like album to me would represent one that is not afraid to jump all over the place with different styles and experiments without losing the hard-hitting, bluesy influence.  I'd throw The White Stripes' Icky Thump out there as an example.  Jack White is willing to throw a lot at the wall to see what sticks in the same way that Zeppelin did.  More of the spirit of Zeppelin as opposed to slavish imitation.

very good point..its the process not the procedure...yes yes....Jack has the approach....but no voice to join him.....yet

• 2 weeks later...

It is funny how some bands can show the obvious influence of another band or artist and get praised .. while others get barbecued.  

Greta Van Fleet... nice band, catchy songs... I think there’s more to it than the singer though.. Production for starters. The Drums are tuned and recorded much like John Bonham’s were. Their Producer went to the Zeppelin studio how-to manual. Distant miking? Check.. Reverb panned hard right? Check... etc.. And more power to them.. The public is going crazy..

Kingdom Come had the same “holy sh*t they sound just like Zeppelin” factor as GVF for about 2 months ... then it seemed the public turned on them.... And fast.  Something they said? Possibly. Greta Van Fleet seem like a grateful and talented group .. so good for them..Let’s see what they do with it. 

The Heart comparison to start the thread is imo accurate. Drummer Michael Desrosiers had the Achilles gallop down pat. The light and shade etc.. and Heart never caught flack..People are still going ga ga about the Kennedy Center tribute.  Billy Squier didn’t catch much either... more for his wimpy videos... But Kingdom Come, Bonham,  Whitesnake etc... caught alot.. 

It’s similar to “Hendrix Disciples”..  I won’t single any out. Some got away with it and were admired for it.. some didn’t.. Not sure why. 

On 3/31/2018 at 7:30 PM, LordStanley said:

Greta Van Fleet's From the Fires EP is the latest.  At least, they acknowledge that they're trying to sound like Zeppelin unlike others who've pretended that the similarities were just a coincidence.

I know what you mean and where you're coming from, and I'm usually in the same boat as you when it comes to other bands/new bands. Just think that if I can listen to GVF without turning it off immediately, they're not bad. I'm pretty picky, and I've listened to them and enjoyed a handful of times. But, they'll be history unless the songwriting gets better. The sound and style is just right though. They're not trying to be original, they happen to have a singer that sounds like Plant, so I think they made the right choice writing Zeppelin-inspired songs, otherwise we would never have heard of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 8:36 PM, the chase said:

It is funny how some bands can show the obvious influence of another band or artist and get praised .. while others get barbecued.  

Greta Van Fleet... nice band, catchy songs... I think there’s more to it than the singer though.. Production for starters. The Drums are tuned and recorded much like John Bonham’s were. Their Producer went to the Zeppelin studio how-to manual. Distant miking? Check.. Reverb panned hard right? Check... etc.. And more power to them.. The public is going crazy..

Kingdom Come had the same “holy sh*t they sound just like Zeppelin” factor as GVF for about 2 months ... then it seemed the public turned on them.... And fast.  Something they said? Possibly. Greta Van Fleet seem like a grateful and talented group .. so good for them..Let’s see what they do with it. 

The Heart comparison to start the thread is imo accurate. Drummer Michael Desrosiers had the Achilles gallop down pat. The light and shade etc.. and Heart never caught flack..People are still going ga ga about the Kennedy Center tribute.  Billy Squier didn’t catch much either... more for his wimpy videos... But Kingdom Come, Bonham,  Whitesnake etc... caught alot.. 

It’s similar to “Hendrix Disciples”..  I won’t single any out. Some got away with it and were admired for it.. some didn’t.. Not sure why. 

I think it has something to do with acknowledging your source material. Similar in a sense to Zeppelin themselves losing some respect by omitting the sources of their early blues songs at times and being sued later for royalty payments.

Heart and GVF are admitted Zeppelin fanatics.  When Heart cribbed the ALS drum pattern or covered Rock and Roll, you kinda knew they were doing it out of respect. Same with GVF because they admit as much.

I read an interview with the guitarist of Kingdom Come way back when and he said that he had barely ever heard any of Jimmy Page's playing. He said that he was more influenced by Hendrix and others, I believe. Now, some rock guitarists might not be heavily influenced by Page but to say that they have never heard his work....that's kind of a stretch. Especially when your album is a second-rate Zeppelin knock-off.

As you wrote, maybe it was something they said. Not to mention, nothing on their album was as good as Still of the Night.

Archived