Hadn't seen this one before. What's the origin?

gibsonfan159

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, IpMan said:

Not sure but the one on Jimmy's left (our right) looks pretty blazed.

3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Who are these blokes?

Led Zeppelin - Olympic Gold (Scorpio Records LZ-92-SC) Cover Fold.jpg

Ron Kellerman (deceased), Jimmy Page and Screaming Lord Sutch (deceased) visiting Ron at his home in New Jersey. I have the date on file.

Ron was an avid record collector and frequent correspondent of Jimmy's.

Screaming Lord Sutch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screaming_Lord_Sutch

On 4/4/2018 at 7:29 AM, LZ77 said:

one more:

074649673b5c47e65e3a88891e24b6b8.jpg

Did Bonham ever feckin smile in photos?

i remember watching the rock orchestra vid  and he’s standing at the piano glowering at McCartney like he’s just slept with his missus.

Edited by Boleskinner

2 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Is that around the Heavy Friends era?.

The photo was taken 10/16/69 at Ron's home in Perth Amboy, NJ. Jimmy had just arrived from London. Ron & Lord Sutch picked him up at the Hilton Hotel and brought him to Ron's. They stayed the night there, playing albums and discussing music and culture. 

The Lord Sutch and Heavy Friends sessions occurred earlier that year. According to my notes, it was in late April or early May 1969 Lord Sutch approached Jimmy in a Hollywood club to inquire if he'd be interested in contributing to his album. He agreed to do so, and was joined by Bonham, among others, for a couple of days of sessions at Mystic Studios in May 1969.

sutch.thumb.jpg.afc2954c7059400fe91b8d3a706ca47b.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

i remember watching the rock orchestra vid  and he’s standing at the piano glowering at McCartney like he’s just slept with his missus.

I made a post a while back (which, of course angered some for being too presumptuous) about how I thought John might have had a touch of Bi-polar depression, judging by his expression and mood in a lot of his photos. Then combine that with his drinking and rowdiness backstage and it kind of adds up. He always struck me as someone who probably had a great appreciation for percussion and being a drummer, but realized that what he was doing had turned into a circus act.

Then there's the other side where he strolls out on the stage with an acoustic guitar or Jones' bass strapped on just to get laugh. I don't think it would be too uncommon for musicians, especially in over-glorified rock bands, to quickly become jaded and see the whole thing as a charade. Bonham strikes me as that type.

Jimmy Page did this album to help out a friend - DAVID SUTCH - David was my friend too - I grew up and went to school with him - They larfed at DAVID SUTCH ?? but let me put the record straight ! DAVID SUTCH was earning over a £1,000 pounds a week when the average weekly wage in this country UK was £20-quid - He had the last larf - RIP DAVID - When you knew DAVID as i Did - you would find out that he was a sensitive boy/man who suffered from BLACK DOG ( Churchill had the same problem ) Black Dog killed him in the end when Depression made him take his own life - If your looking down David RIP. -- Colin Dale March 2018

I dig this album! Always have. -- SAJ  May 2018

36 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I made a post a while back (which, of course angered some for being too presumptuous) about how I thought John might have had a touch of Bi-polar depression, judging by his expression and mood in a lot of his photos. Then combine that with his drinking and rowdiness backstage and it kind of adds up. He always struck me as someone who probably had a great appreciation for percussion and being a drummer, but realized that what he was doing had turned into a circus act.

Then there's the other side where he strolls out on the stage with an acoustic guitar or Jones' bass strapped on just to get laugh. I don't think it would be too uncommon for musicians, especially in over-glorified rock bands, to quickly become jaded and see the whole thing as a charade. Bonham strikes me as that type.

You could possibly be right.

Def a complex character - seems to be a mix of deep insecurity, machismo and kindness.

10 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Was there a major rift after the recording because Jimi seems at ease with Lord Sutch in that picture. Bonham's drumming is amazing, especially on Flashing Light. 

Not that I'm aware of.

Arriving in Los Angeles in 1968, Lord Sutch settled in for a while and signed with Cotillion Records (a division of Atlantic Records). "I played the Whisky and made all the scenes," he states.

Recording sessions for the Heavy Friends LP - which featured contributions from Sutch's pals Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, John Bonham, Noel Redding and Nicky Hopkins - took place at Hollywood's Mystic Studios over the space of twelve days from April 24 - May 5, 1969. It's likely that Page and Bonham showed up in early May, when Led Zeppelin's US tour rolled into Irvine and Pasadena.

"I had laid down some tracks with Jeff Beck and Noel Redding," Sutch recalls, "when Jimmy Page called and said, 'I'll do some stuff for you.' In the end, he co-produced it and played on all the tracks!" (It seems that Page has a very different take on Heavy Friends and has since distanced himself from the project.)

Record.jpg
Lord Sutch And Heavy Friends LP (Cotillion/Atlantic 1970)

Sutch continues, "John Bonham got involved when I went to pick up Jimmy to take him to the studio. Bonham was there and he said, 'I'd like to have a go as well. Do you mind if I play on it?' John Paul Jones wanted to do something as well, but their manager said it was turning into the second Led Zeppelin album and it had to stop somewhere."

http://devorahostrov.blogspot.jp/2017/10/screaming-lord-sutch-legend-of-rock-n.html

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:24 AM, Boleskinner said:

Image result for john bonham smiling

On 5/17/2018 at 4:33 PM, anniemouse said:

Was there a major rift after the recording because Jimi seems at ease with Lord Sutch in that picture. Bonham's drumming is amazing, especially on Flashing Light. 

Page later claimed that he'd been under the impression the recording sessions were a light hearted muck around, and then the record company threw them onto a released album without proper mixing, production etc, to make a quick buck. Hard to tell, because the record sounds alright to me (agree with SAJ, it's a blast!) but then again it's just the kind of thing record companies would do.

On 5/17/2018 at 1:51 PM, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy Page did this album to help out a friend - DAVID SUTCH - David was my friend too - I grew up and went to school with him - They larfed at DAVID SUTCH ?? but let me put the record straight ! DAVID SUTCH was earning over a £1,000 pounds a week when the average weekly wage in this country UK was £20-quid - He had the last larf - RIP DAVID - When you knew DAVID as i Did - you would find out that he was a sensitive boy/man who suffered from BLACK DOG ( Churchill had the same problem ) Black Dog killed him in the end when Depression made him take his own life - If your looking down David RIP. -- Colin Dale March 2018

I dig this album! Always have. -- SAJ  May 2018

That's the equivalent of £16,500 a week now, or $23,000 a week. Nice work if you can get it.

Sutch was such a well known figure over here for his appearances in by elections. For some reason there was lots more by elections in the late 80s early 90s than there usually are. Every time, there he'd be, adding a bit of life and fun into some dull discussion of the EC or the poll tax or whatever. Many of his actual policies were thought of batty at the time, but are now law, like pubs opening all day.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

This is either Amsterdam or Brussels, May 1972- the two warm-up gigs prior to their 72 US tour.

Definitely  Amsterdam, a pic from that photoshoot is in W.Ruhlmanns 1992 photobook. There's video footage including  the band's introduction at the RAI and Immigrant Song and of course that hilarious 'cash in a suitcase scene' with Richard Cow (sic) and the Dutch concert promoter😎https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAc4GASTEGU

Edited by duckman