Nitpicking Page (The quest for the best performance of 1975)

gibsonfan159

Nitpicking Page 3/25/1975 LA Forum (Deep Throat Disc 2)

Couldn't be worse than the previous night. Could it? Some slight bootleg ears required at first, but clears up later. Then there's a loose cable from Page's guitar.

Rock And Roll- A little slop on the solo, not too bad. "B".

Sick Again- Plant isn't sounding so good. First solo- Good start. 1:55, struggling. 2:02, yikes. Outro solo- Not as bad, but you can tell he's straining to put something together. "C+".

OTHAFA- Decent intro. Solo- Solid, average noodling throughout. 4:28, gobbling. Though a solid performance, this version seems to lack some energy. "B+".

IMTOD- First time I've heard Page get sloppy on the main riff. Plant is warmed up and sounding good. Bonham is doing some thunderous drum fills. 2:58, flub. First solo- Guitar cuts out intermitently. A good flow, not bad. Second solo- Phrasing is great but he's hitting the notes a little off key. 8:46- 9:24, still hitting notes off key. "B".

TSRTS- Guitar still cutting out. Good playing on the intro. First solo- Nimble fingers and pretty good articulation. Outro solo- Energetic, but lacking articulation. "B+".

The Rain Song- Some accidental notes in the intro. 1:31, mellotron mishap. Rock section- Plant puts a little extra in and it sounds great. 5:22, mellotron mishap. Guitar is also now slightly out of tune. All of the mishaps knock this down to a "B".

Kashmir- An uptempo version, and it sounds great. 4:15, careful Plant. 5:24, Plant yodel. 6:17, Plant is struggling a little. 8:30, awesome drums. Despite Plant's straining, I still give this energetic version an "B+".

No Quarter- Nitpicking Jones- Maybe a little slow to get going, but incredible playing from Jonesy with good atmosphere. 11:57, some wrong notes. Page- 14:15, comes in wrong and tries a few more times. Disappears from 15:18-15:33. Comes back in with some fire. 17:14, awesome drum fill. Page is grooving fairly well. Not exactly shredding, but playing smoothly with good phrasing. 19:49, some good playing. 21:22, cool riff. Excellent finish. Very cool performance, but has enough flubs to make it a "B+".

Trampled Underfoot- The solo- Bad phrasing, bad articulation. Some good bits here and there, but mostly a slopfest. "B".

Moby Dick- This version failed to hold my attention.

Dazed And Confused- First workout is pretty good, decent flow and phrasing. Woodstock- Very good noodling on the lead in with a haunting atmosphere. Plant just doesn't sound good here, though Page is nailing it. Bow section is pretty average with a good finish. Second workout- Page is flowing quite well with only a couple hangups. 25:40-25:57, excellent series of runs. 27:36, Page is testing Plant with the guitar/vocal duel. 28:35, minor hang up. This might be the best phrasing during the latter half of the workout I've heard in a while. No bedroom jamming. Mars- something sounds off at 31:12. 32:20, Bonham flexes a little. Finale- Page again throws down some good noodling. Flub at 38:43. A very solid version overall and worth sitting through. Once again though, Plant's straining keeps it at a "B+". I'd have to give Page an "A".

Stairway To Heaven- Excellent clarity. Jones' keys are up in the mix and sound amazing. Solo- The guitar starts cutting out, but is still audible. Page's fingers are quite nimble, but the phrasing could be just a tad bit better. 8:14, very cool riff here. An excellent finish to a very good solo. Plant sounds better now as well. It's a shame this had the technical difficulties with the guitar. A solid "A" version. Stay tuned until 12:05 for the massive M80 lol.

Whole Lotta Love- Plant sounding squeaky at first. Funk section- Sounding quite good, despite the audio problems. Theremin drags on a bit, but Jones is putting down a good rhythm. Weird transition into Black Dog. "B+".

Black Dog- 1:10, Plant forgets the lyrics and throws Page off as well. Solo- Page comes alive, but his articulation isn't great. An honest "C+" version.

Heartbreaker- Dropped. 

Final assessment- Not a standout show, but a rare one considering Page starts out terrible and gets better throughout. I'm guessing he did some snorting instead of drinking during Moby Dick. A very good Stairway. Solid versions of No Quarter and Dazed. This Kashmir would've really been something had Plant been in better shape.  

Edited by gibsonfan159

On 4/17/2018 at 8:16 PM, ZepHead315 said:

Are you also going to be doing the Earls Court shows (once you get through the US ones of course)? 

this is funny

So what if he does or doesn't nitpick another show?

The only opinion that counts is your own. If someone says hey you should listen to this because it's crankin and after hearing you don't agree well it's no big deal but if you listen to someone who says don't bother listening to this show then you may be missing out on an experience that you might find totally acceptable and enjoyable. The only thing nitpicking does is ruin an otherwise good time 

47 minutes ago, hummingbird69 said:

. The only thing nitpicking does is ruin an otherwise good time 

Or make you realize that a track is actually better than it seems on the surface. Breaking down the individual elements of a performance can expose (at least to me) certain things I would've been quick to dismiss had I not listened more closely. For example; I'd completely dismissed the 3/25 show before without ever realizing  how awesome that Stairway was. There are No Quarters where Page is crap, but Jones and Bonham more than make up for it. Or Rain Songs that seem mediocre but have an incredible climax section. So I suppose I do this less to find "the best version" and more to find the little hidden gems that lie within a live performance. Again, I'm not nitpicking to only expose flaws. I'm looking for random good bits as well. 

But I see what you're saying on the other hand. If you enjoy a show, you enjoy it. Don't let some flubs get in the way of an enjoyable performance.

Edited by gibsonfan159
Extra Info

1 hour ago, hummingbird69 said:

this is funny

So what if he does or doesn't nitpick another show?

The only opinion that counts is your own. If someone says hey you should listen to this because it's crankin and after hearing you don't agree well it's no big deal but if you listen to someone who says don't bother listening to this show then you may be missing out on an experience that you might find totally acceptable and enjoyable. The only thing nitpicking does is ruin an otherwise good time 

What's funny here is you telling me how I should think. I don't read these "nitpickings" so that I can know what opinion to form on these shows. That's absurd. I read these because I find it interesting to hear another fan's perspective on these shows, even if they differ from my own. Of course everyone should have their own opinions regarding shows. Heck, I still think 3/21 Seattle is in the top 3 best shows of 1975, and a must hear. But I like how Gibsonfan highlights little passages here and there to consider. As he said, it allows me to pick up on things I hadn't noticed before.

Why do you think people read analyses of popular films or works of art years after they were released? Because they enjoy hearing what others have to say. You can learn a lot about a person based on what they like and dislike about a work of art, and you can examine it from a different point of view, in a way that you hadn't considered before.

You don't like these nitpicks? Fine. Don't read them. Find another thread.

Nitpicking Page 3/27/1975 L.A. Forum (Deep Throat disc 3)

The second Forum show was undoubtedly a step up, now let's see what happens with the big finish. Great audio for the most part.

Rock And Roll- Plant already sounds warmed up. Solo- Almost dead on to the studio version. Very good. Considering Plant is already sounding good, I'd have to give this an "A+".

Sick Again- Speedy tempo sounds good. Minor flub at 0:38. First solo- Doesn't flow very well, but at least he's keeping a good pace and not trying to cram too much in there. 3:58, Plant yodel. Outro solo- Also doesn't flow well. 5:07, ok then? I do this kind of thing when I get bored practicing. Apart from lackluster solos, not too bad. "B+".

OTHAFA- Intro drags too much. Weird note at 2:28. 2:50, oh no. Get on track Pagey. 3:07-3:11 is a good run, but ends on a wrong note. Finally gets going. Off track again at 4:00. Loses direction at 4:38. 5:48, Page jumps keys. 6:33, misses his cue and waits for the next bar. A slightly embarrassing solo. Page almost forgets how to end the song. "C+" is generous.

IMTOD- First solo- Good, but loses it a little at 5:18. Second solo- A nice extended solo that flows well. Plant sounds great throughout. You Shook Me at the end for a great finish. "A". 

TSRTS- Very energetic start. Page sounds alive now. Very slight flub at 2:15. Solo- Good articulation and phrasing. Outro solo- Not perfect, but really good. Solid version, "A". 

The Rain Song- Mellotron sounds good. 4:08, tape cut straight to the end of the rock section. Damn it, this was sounding great. If anyone has an uncut version please PM a link.

Kashmir- The mellotron is almost nonexistent, making for a pure rock version of the song. Plant lets out an excellent scream at 4:20. A slight voice crack at 4:53. Voice is shaky around 5:40. Again at 5:59. Chord flub at 6:16. Page drops out at 7:18, returns next bar. Again at 8:33. Plant rests his voice for the final bars. A slightly sloppy version, "B".

SIBLY- A very strange place on the set list. Flub at 2:06. Again at 2:49. Page sounds unfamiliar with the structure. Solo- Excellent. Nails it. 5:22-5:28, Page is having trouble remembering the chords. A great showing from Plant, who admits to the crowd that they were out of practice "B+".

No Quarter- Something happens to Page at 3:29. Nitpicking Jones- Some fine cocktail lounge keyboard noodling. 10:35, Page comes in with an awkward rhythm. 11:35, I really like that. Solo- Seems to struggle to get a good flow going. 12:40 is cringey. Does some decent runs, but still seems lost. Jones is showing him up in the background. 15:52, there it is, that timeless fall back riff. 17:30, once the rhythm switches up Page manages to do some more solid playing. 21:59-22:19, awesome runs. 26:27 starts a great run but he loses it a bit. This was a hell of a jam session, but I didn't really hear anything that stood out that much. I'd honestly like to hear Page's entire solo removed so I could listen to Jones and Bonham groove for thirty minutes. Barely a "B+" version.

Trampled Underfoot- Solo- 3:35-3:42, absolutely awful. Even Bonham sounds off. Not a good flow. 5:55-6:02 sounds like two cats fighting. 7:44, I think Bonzo gives him the "let's wrap this up" signal. 9:52, Plant throws in some Gallows Pole. "C+".

Moby Dick- 4 minutes of snare rolls before we get to the toms. Then it's back to the snare rolls for 4 minutes. This version seems very subdued and uninspired. 

Dazed And Confused- Muscular, moody intro. First workout- Page is playing very chill and experimental. Woodstock- A little too unstructured. Sounds alright once it gets going. 10:46, some unique vocal additions by Plant. Bow section- fair. Has to retune at 20:56. Workout section-  Flubs guitar part at 21:45. 23:22, a sloppy mess. The energy is there, but his phrasing ability isn't. There isn't much to brag about. Some good noodling around 28:00. The guitar/vocal duel has Plant sounding very 73 ish. 32:44, very cool riff. 33:40, good jamming here. Mars- A little trouble with the chords. 35:55, Jones and Bonham go into the climax and leave Page behind, which actually turns into a good jam session. 37:10, Page again misses the cue. 39:21, Page finally gets some fluid licks going. 42:38, whoops. This honestly sounded like a practice run after a year off. I know they experiment with and expand their songs from night to night, but that doesn't excuse missing the basics. There are parts where Page sounds like he's practicing new riffs to add later. Not a great thing to do in front of a live audience. "B".

Stairway To Heaven- Very sluggish tempo. There are parts where it sounds like Page is nodding off. The solo- A little too much overdrive on the amp makes this sound kind of twangy. Nevertheless, he's playing with a good flow and phrasing. 7:28-7:35 is a beautiful run. For crying out loud, another tape cut at 7:38. This one doesn't seem to lose too much though. Page is flowing along nicely, but it sounds slightly lethargic. Flub at 10:00 and 10:07. 10:20-10:35, a little sloppy. 10:45-10:55, the notes Jones is playing through here sound surreal. Page flubs the final triplets. 11:28, Plant straining. 11:55, Page gets in the way of those beautiful keys. This was another version where if Page had been in his right mind, he could've blown everyone away. "B+". Possible "B" considering the lethargy.

Whole Lotta Love- Weird intro. Also sluggish. Funk section- Page has trouble maintaining the rhythm and cuts it short. Theremin- Actually an A+ theremin section. Plant further blows out his voice at 5:20 lol. "A" considering the extended jam.

Black Dog- 1:59, Page has trouble holding on to the tempo. Plant is still feeling good. Must be thinking about Ms. Lovelace backstage. The solo- 3:59, he choked that note to death. Some decent runs but they all sound a little awkward. 4:42-5:00, A.D.D. kicks in as he keeps switching lead phrases. 6:15, the most fluid run. Not bad, but not good. A solid "B+".

Final assessment- It's tough hearing all these crap performances of OTHAFA, one of my favorite songs. Rock And Roll, IMTOD, and TSRTS are the highlights. Of course Jones was fantastic on No Quarter. None of these Forum shows really stand out as superior. You'd just have to pick your favorite version from each one to make a best of compilation, but I'm glad I gave them a thorough nitpick to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I think Rock And Roll from this show may be the single highlight of all three, considering Plant sounded great out of the gate. Very rare.

A guide on how I'm personally rating the tracks: (Although I don't follow this strictly)

A+, An overall exceptional performance with good energy.
A, Pretty much a flawless (Or near) performance with good lead work from Page.
B+, A good performance with a few flaws that hold it back.
B, A mediocre performance with too many noticeable flaws.
C+, A below average or lackluster performance. Cringe inducing in some areas.
C, Severely flawed in some way. 

Interesting.  I've always had a soft spot for 3/27/75 for some reason.  I've always liked this OTHAFA, and even if the little call-and-response between Page & Jones at the end of the solo was brought about by a Page missed cue, I think they cover it up well enough that it sounds deliberate (and cool IMO).  This is also my personal favourite version of NQ.

14 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Interesting.  I've always had a soft spot for 3/27/75 for some reason.  I've always liked this OTHAFA, and even if the little call-and-response between Page & Jones at the end of the solo was brought about by a Page missed cue, I think they cover it up well enough that it sounds deliberate (and cool IMO).  This is also my personal favourite version of NQ.

Have you heard 3/19? I'm doing it currently and there's no comparison, to me anyway. 

Edit: No Quarter, that is.

Edited by gibsonfan159
Extra Info

5 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

OTHAFA- Intro drags too much. Weird note at 2:28. 2:50, oh no. Get on track Pagey. 3:07-3:11 is a good run, but ends on a wrong note. Finally gets going. Off track again at 4:00. Loses direction at 4:38. 5:48, Page jumps keys. 6:33, misses his cue and waits for the next bar. A slightly embarrassing solo. Page almost forgets how to end the song. "C+" is generous.

He misses his cue in at the end, but for me, that sums up why I love Page and Zep generally in 75. They catch it perfectly and turn it into something else. Nothing embarrassing about that at all.

Talk about paralysis by analysis.

This scholarly dissection of Page's live playing is interesting, but ultimately futile.

It was rock 'n' roll folks.

Most of the band were probably thinking about which groupie they were going to nail that night; not about how 45 years later some spotty virgin would be documenting their every  "flub" and missed hammer-on.  

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Talk about paralysis by analysis.

This scholarly dissection of Page's live playing is interesting, but ultimately futile.

It was rock 'n' roll folks.

Most of the band were probably thinking about which groupie they were going to nail that night; not about how 45 years later some spotty virgin would be documenting their every  "flub" and missed hammer-on.  

I have to say that it is quite tiresome. Have to question the motivation - somebody way back suggested that Gibson’s review of Seattle 75 was flawed. And now we get this. Just enjoy the music!

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

I have to say that it is quite tiresome. Have to question the motivation - somebody way back suggested that Gibson’s review of Seattle 75 was flawed. And now we get this. Just enjoy the music!

I dunno. Fair play to the effort from Gibsonfan, there is a place for this kind of thing, even if I do disagree with almost everything he writes!

It's interesting but a bit niche. Might sit better in Musicians Corner maybe.

1 hour ago, Crimson Avenger said:

even if I do disagree with almost everything he writes!

You disagree when he's playing in the wrong key by accident? You disagree that sometimes his fingers are barely hitting the strings? You disagree that sometimes he probably just drops his pick or breaks a string? You disagree that sometimes Robert squelches like a pre-pubescent teen or forgets some lyrics? Or when Bonham jumps into the turn around too quickly or gets a beat reversed? Or when someone throws an M80 at the stage and disrupts the show?

I think people are still missing my point in doing these and getting butthurt by only looking at the negatives. All I'm doing is dissecting the individual parts that make up the whole picture, good and bad, for anyone interested in keeping an eye out for these bits while listening to the shows. Sort of a listening guide and a text analysis on which performances are the most technically solid, and which pieces might have gone unnoticed to a casual listener. I'm trying to be as technically biased as possible and not opinion based, although I do voice some opinion at times. We can all say "You know that version of Stairway where Page obviously couldn't remember how to play? Well that's my favorite version!" That's fine, I wouldn't dare attempt to dictate what someone enjoys. All I wanna do is find the hidden gems within the songs and point out the performances that stand out in some way, be it good or bad. Hell, maybe some people are interested in hearing an example of Page falling flat on his face. It's all interesting to me anyway, the good and the bad. There are some people who enjoy hearing Achilles from Tempe 77 because it's interesting.

Edit: Do you also disagree with the good parts I point out?

Edited by gibsonfan159
Extra Info

Nitpicking Page 3/19/1975 Vancouver (Snow Jobs) *except Dazed And Confused in which I used the Canadian Crush boot as my file was corrupted.)

Also known as the "Jones up front" bootleg, with the line from Jones' audio feed being very loud. Also a very clear, albeit a little dry, soundboard.

Rock And Roll- Plant doesn't sound half bad out of the gate. Solo- Pretty solid. "A".

Sick Again- Good energy. Solo- Good fluidity and phrasing. Very nice. Page gets a little loose on some chords. Outro solo- Doesn't flow great, but he's making it work with nimble fingers. Somewhere between "B+" and "A".

OTHAFA- Good intro. Guitar tuning is a little questionable. Solo- Good fluidity without much straining. An awkward ending at 6:46. Page loses his way a bit at the end. Overall very good performance. "A".

IMTOD- A good, swampy tempo. This song sounds good either too slow or too fast. If they play it at a normal speed it's boring. First solo- Good flow and phrasing. Jones is tearing it up as well. Second solo- A little looser than the first. The "Oh my Jesus" section is exceptional, with Page throwing in a guitar response. "Whoa Georgina. Whoa Georgina. Lick your p..*CENSORED*." Despite the Mature rating, "A+".

TSRTS- Now this is a song that needs the bass up front. Hallelujah. First solo- Fingers just a little sticky, but still pushing through ok. Plant yodel at 3:07. It's inevetible on this song. Outro solo- Again, just a tad sticky, but probably unnoticeable to the average, non-nitpicking listener. A solid "A", very close to an "A+" considering the energy level.

The Rain Song- Sounding good. C'mon mellotron, don't fail me now. In tune, alright. Why they insisted on using this thing baffles me. Imagine how great this would sound with some fine piano work from Jones. Rock section- Mellotron is crowding the mix, but not too bad. No real flubs, a solid "A" version. 

Kashmir- 2:25, Plant squeak. 3:39, wrong foot note, but he is playing three parts at once here. 4:25, excellent yell from Plant. 6:06, not a good yell from Plant. 8:18, Bonham catches the snare rim. Poor Page is so low in the mix I can't even nitpick him. Plant's voice cracks keep this at a "B+". Otherwise, excellent version.

No Quarter- Nitpicking Jones- Sultry, confident, smooth, sophisticated, groovy, just put any positive adjective on this. Page dances into the party like an already half drunk guy knocking over vases, as usual. 11:32, flub. Now, that was an unwarranted metaphor (Although it certainly applies to other versions). He's actually laying down some very fluid playing here for once. Very refreshing. 13:28-13:38 is the "fall back riff" used successfully, and not as a last resort. 13:38-13:57, 1973 level noodling. Very nice. Gets a little loose after 14:00. 17:20, Page is actually gelling with the other two instead of just soloing wildly until he's done. Nicely done. Outro solo- 22:31, excellent, aggressive bends. This version goes to show that when Page was hot, he could ascend to a level that made other guitarists sound phony. How rare that was in 1975. This is how the song was meant to be played. "A+".

Trampled Underfoot- 2:03, Plant feeling good. Solo- Good start. Some serious slop at 4:06-4:20. Catches himself and slows it down a bit. Right hand comes alive at 5:24. Aggressive ending. Despite some sloppy lead work, the energy alone makes this a "B+".

Moby Dick- Decent, very intricate version which will bore non drummers and interest others.

Dazed And Confused (From "Canadian Crush")- Minor flub at 4:06. First workout- Some good energetic noodling out of the gate. 5:20-5:40, very nice series of riffs. He slows down a little to collect himself. Woodstock- Sluggish flow leading in. Gets going good and Page is having fun with it. Beautiful rendition. Bow section- Almost professional sound quality makes this really pop, and I can't listen to it without picturing Page at Boleskine doing some weird Crowley ritual. 21:00, Page is a little out of tune and either takes time to tune or swaps guitars, but it's a seamless transition nonetheless. Workout- Again, comes in blazing, sounding almost like a 1973 version. 23:41, good speedy run. Mars- Bonham leads in with a different drum pattern and Page flubs the chords pretty badly, or he's way out of tune. 32:51, they nail the climax. 34:50, Freebird notes. Excellent series of runs to finish it up. This is a good performance that is very reminiscent of the movie/MSG 73 version. "A".

Stairway To Heaven- Some unique sounding keys and guitar bits on the intro. 3:13, damn Rob, where'd that come from? 4:10, alright, maybe overdoing it a little?. Solo- 8:40, some flubbed notes. Otherwise a very smooth solo. It does seem to lack some fire, although it's played very fluidly. 10:37, Plant squeak. I feel like this is an "A" version, but the lack of energy, possibly from the guitar being low in the mix, makes me wanna give it a "B+".

Whole Lotta Love- Funk section- The Crunge actually flows well. Maybe the best live version? Theremin- adequate. 6:58, Page has some trouble getting into the Licking Stick rhythm. 7:44, by the time Plant joins in they leave him behind. Still an entertaining version, "B+".

Black Dog- Guitar is sounding very dry and flat on this SB. Solo- 4:30, what in the hell? Not great, but not bad. A solid "B+" version.

Final assessment- This was one of the first boots I listened to and completely misjudged it originally. One of the best Page showings of the tour and one of the best overall shows. Everyone sounds great, even Plant who only had a few voice cracks. Also with perfect sound quality. 

Alright, you folks have to let me know. Are enough people enjoying me doing these and see them as relevant, or am I ruining people's enjoyment of the shows by over-analyzing? If so I'll stop. I know I've certainly found things that I'd missed before and learned to appreciate other things by looking more closely, but I'll keep the nitpicks to myself if they're annoying too many people.

10 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Have you heard 3/19? I'm doing it currently and there's no comparison, to me anyway. 

Edit: No Quarter, that is.

Of course!  I love that one too!  There's just something about the 3/27 version I like more.  Jones & Bonham nail the piano solo and two-piece jam, and I've actually always liked Page's solo--especially the climax in the middle (somewhere around 18:00?).  That's coming from a drummer, not a guitarist, mind you...

56 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

You disagree when he's playing in the wrong key by accident? You disagree that sometimes his fingers are barely hitting the strings? You disagree that sometimes he probably just drops his pick or breaks a string? You disagree that sometimes Robert squelches like a pre-pubescent teen or forgets some lyrics? Or when Bonham jumps into the turn around too quickly or gets a beat reversed? Or when someone throws an M80 at the stage and disrupts the show?

I think people are still missing my point in doing these and getting butthurt by only looking at the negatives. All I'm doing is dissecting the individual parts that make up the whole picture, good and bad, for anyone interested in keeping an eye out for these bits while listening to the shows. Sort of a listening guide and a text analysis on which performances are the most technically solid, and which pieces might have gone unnoticed to a casual listener. I'm trying to be as technically biased as possible and not opinion based, although I do voice some opinion at times. We can all say "You know that version of Stairway where Page obviously couldn't remember how to play? Well that's my favorite version!" That's fine, I wouldn't dare attempt to dictate what someone enjoys. All I wanna do is find the hidden gems within the songs and point out the performances that stand out in some way, be it good or bad. Hell, maybe some people are interested in hearing an example of Page falling flat on his face. It's all interesting to me anyway, the good and the bad. There are some people who enjoy hearing Achilles from Tempe 77 because it's interesting.

Edit: Do you also disagree with the good parts I point out?

No, but I think you started out trying to prove how awful Page was in 1975, and I think by the end you will prove the opposite!

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I'm trying to be as technically biased as possible

With respect, that's the bit that misses the point a bit when discussing Page IMO. Technical perfection isn't really his bag.

Non-guitar buffs might find all this tiring, fair enough. But don't stop, nobody has to read anything here if they don't want to. It would be awful if all we did was swap pictures of Robert's hair. You clearly know a lot about playing, and I hope that by the end you'll revise your opinion of 1975. You already have a bit, haven't you?!

9 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Alright, you folks have to let me know. Are enough people enjoying me doing these and see them as relevant, or am I ruining people's enjoyment of the shows by over-analyzing? If so I'll stop. I know I've certainly found things that I'd missed before and learned to appreciate other things by looking more closely, but I'll keep the nitpicks to myself if they're annoying too many people.

I'm enjoying them!  My opinions aren't so fragile that reading someone else's negative review of a show I like will suddenly make me also dislike said show.  In fact, Zeppelin fans have had to deal with reading negative reviews of the band since its inception!  I never would have listened to 2/8 Philadelphia (barring the release of a SBD) had I not read your review of it, and now I love that show!  I'm also a '75 nut, so I enjoy any good '75 discussion.

9 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I can dig it. 

I am interested in your assessment of 5-18 & 5-23, in particular Page's use of the Strat on OTHAFA & NQ on both night's and his execution and approach due to the Strat. I bring this up because these are two of my favorite versions of NQ (the guitar work, not the song as a whole) due to his use of the Strat and his approach is very different. TBH I just feel he plays better and more creatively with the Strat vs. the LP, at least on NQ.

Thoughts? 

26 minutes ago, Crimson Avenger said:

and I hope that by the end you'll revise your opinion of 1975. You already have a bit, haven't you?!

Definitely overlooked some good performances. But I also found some that were worse than I thought. 

And I admit I tried to pick out only the bad parts of 3/21, and I still stand by the fact that Page was slightly out of it for that show, despite the big set list and energy. I may redo that one the way I'm doing them now, but I guarantee you people will still scream foul lol.

50 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

yes, you're over-analyzing.

15 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Definitely overlooked some good performances. But I also found some that were worse than I thought. 

And I admit I tried to pick out only the bad parts of 3/21, and I still stand by the fact that Page was slightly out of it for that show, despite the big set list and energy. I may redo that one the way I'm doing them now, but I guarantee you people will still scream foul lol.

That would be nice to be able to compare the 3/21 review to the others "apples to apples"...

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I have been enjoying your reviews... keep them coming!